Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 19th, 2010, 09:33 AM

I have a 12 week old husky/lab mix

well i have been working on the potty trainning with katana for a week now and she doing really well but we are still having problem with her at night she potty on the floor twice a nite what can i do to help her with not having any accidents at night? anyone with ideas please feel free to give them.

Thanks
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your new addition.

I would suggest to crate your pup during the evenings. Dogs usually do not soil where they sleep. First thing in the morning is to not say anything to your pup to entice excitement. Simply remove the dog from the crate and go directly outside until he/she relieves themselves. Only then make a big deal out of using the outdoors.
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Crate training is a great idea. I have 2 huskies, and we had a lot of success with it.
Another thing is to limit her water intake after 8 or 9pm. Don't take it away entirely, but only give small amounts at time until morning.
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the puppy. Crate training is an excellent idea, however, at 12 weeks old you will probably have to set your alarm and get up and carry her outside at least twice a night for a while. She's probably still too young to be able to hold her pee all night long. If you can take her outside a couple times, it will go a long way to help with training her to understand that outside is the best. When she pee's at night, praise her lightly then back to bed in her crate. You don't want her to think 2 am is party time outside. Daytime potty breaks that are done outside deserve a huge party. Be patient and persevere, she'll get there. Just remember she is very young still.
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM
-

Yes, I agree as well with the above.

Also, welcome to the forum and we would love to see pics of Katana.
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with DogDancer too. Puppies generally do not have complete control of their bladders and sphincters till about 6 months old. You can't MAKE them hold on longer than they are physically capable of so it's up twice in the night for you. Just as it was with us for some weeks, then once a night, till clean overnight at 4.5 months. With a minor mishap once or twice after that.

Ours was a winter puppy. We kept big loose boots and a big coat that we could hop into quickly by the door. DDDDDON'T lock yourself out. It's not winter yet but it is getting pretty cool out. Hey! Look! My "don't" is shivering. Not intentional but I'm leaving it in.

ETA: When you're into typing a reply for some reason the poster's location is not visible. I couldn't see that you are in Cochrane. Got snow yet?