Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Growth on cat's pad on his paw

I have made an appointment to bring my kitty Tiwilliger to the vet next week, but in the meantime, I wanted to see if anyone has experince with this problem. Tiwilliger is a 3 year old, indoor cat. I've noticed for a long time that he had a hard spot on one of his pads on the bottom of his front paw but honestly thought he had cut his pad when he was younger and it just healed funny. Yesterday, however, I noticed that this piece of skin has gotten long and seems to be protruding from the pad, almost looking like another nail (not quite as hard though). It looks a little like the picture I attached that I found on the web, but isn't quite as large. It doesn't seem to cause him any pain, and I've never noticed him biting or licking it or anything like that. Anyone have any information on this? I am not looking forward to the vet visit, the last 2 times we went he went absolutely insane and the vet couldn't touch him let alone examine him. He will be sedated this time but I'm even wondering if they'll be able to get that accomplised!
Attached Images

Old August 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Ya know how the pads are, if you look really close, made up of tiny little tentacles of skin, like the skin version of rug fiber, rather than being smooth like regular skin? (I feel like I'm totally botching this description, but hopefully you understand).

So, on areas of the foot that don't make contact with the ground, and therefore don't get worn down, these little tentacles can sometimes just keep growing and growing.They also sometimes get all stuck together with dead skin and what have you and feel like the hard spot you're describing.

This happens to my dogs pretty frequently or the little mini pads of their dew claws. I usually just loosen up the hard area with my nail, either the "tentacles" seperate from each other and/or the othergrowth just falls off. These are very co-operative dogs though, I don't know if a cat would let you do such a thing.

All that said though, I'd be inclined to have the vet check it out if it's not obviously the above or if it's really overgrown. Better to make sure you know what's going on than to miss something important.