Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 28th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Dog obsessed with drinking water - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

I have a 10 month old Boxer who is absolutely obsessed with water, is this normal? Or do you think something is wrong? He drinks it as if he's been in a dessert for a week without any! If you gave him a bucket full of it he would drink and drink until its gone. We don't let him drink a lot at a time b/c of Bloat, so we're constantly stopping him. But even when we bath him he freaks b/c he's just trying to drink the water coming out of the shower head, seems a bit over the top. If he see's a puddle he'll lick it bone dry if you let him. He tries to drink the water in our backyard where our fence posts are! He's so obsessed with it, we take it away from him after a certain time at night just so he's not peeing all day the next day and he constantly walks around where it would be looking for it... He is crated all day while we're at work, and we have a friend the checks on him in the middle of the day. We don't put water in his crate b/c we've tried everything and no matter what he tips it over and just makes a mess, so we gave up on that, we literally tried everything, plus he pee's in his crate too, probably b/c all the water he drinks. The lady that checks on him gives him a very small amount, again b/c we don't want him peeing in the afternoon, which he does anyway. Does any of this sound normal to anyone, or think something may be wrong with him? Other then this he's completely fine, seems very healthy, very active and just a wonderful dog, but I'm wondering if we should take him to the vet or if some dogs just love water that much? Thanks!
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Insatiable thirst is NOT normal, is a symptom of some underlying problem and can have a number of causes - diabetes insipidus, Cushing's disease (pituitary tumours) etc.

You need to have this thoroughly checked out asap.
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

My pointer is the same - it's not normal, you need to take your pup in for an ACTH test, as well as the usual battery of hormone testing (pituitary, diabetes, etc). Good luck

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM

I'm going to agree with the others. Your pup needs to see a vet asap. There could be so many different things causing his thirst. The one that really jumps out at me is Diabetes. Cushings also has thirst as a symptom, but I would rule out diabetes first as cushingoid dogs are normally middle aged to senior. Your vet would run a couple of tests, normally a complete blood test and a urinalysis and would take it from there depending on the results.
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:09 PM
-

I agree with everyone as this is definitely not normal. Please take your dog to the vet ASAP and let us know the results.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I did exactly what you said and took him to the vet asap! We're just waiting for the test results, they said they'll have them today and will call me, so I'll let you know what happens. They ran a couple tests to see if there is anything wrong, they said this test will show if there is anything wrong anywhere! So I will let you know the outcome! Thanks again for the replies!
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:45 AM

oreokitty,

I totally understand how you feel! I was and am still heartbroken over this. I'm sure it is nothing you did! It is strange that his tests were fine three months ago. Did your vet have an explanation for that? My dog was tested at a year and a half the first time and did have abnormal kidney values then (BUN, creatinine). I'm not sure if testing for those values is routine or have to be requested. What were the tests? Could one of these sets of test have been wrong? Maybe try a different vet and see what they say. If there is a good vet school near you, you could also have them take a look. I hope the diagnosis was wrong
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:55 PM

Well, Buffytwin hasn't been on here since May, so I wonder how her dog is doing?

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old October 29th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Drinkng too much water

hello! I found this forum looking for help for my Great Dane, who has begun drinking about 3 gallons of water a day and stopped eating. He was also vomiting quite a bit and needed to go every 3 hours. Baron is 7 1/2 years old and used to be able to wait long periods of time between walkings, so it's been quite an adjustment!

He has been to the vet and all the ultrasounds, bloodwork, urine culture, lymph node aspiration, have all come out basically normal. The only two things that were odd were that one of his liver values was elevated and his potassium was quite low.

My next step is to a diagnostician to see if they need to do a water-deprivation test. What does this mean?
Old January 7th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Our dog loves water, too!

Our new puppy, Fielder, is only six months old. He's been a big water drinker since day one, but it's intensified lately to the point where he will drink out of our backyard pond until we stop him. He's also peeing all over the house (walking and peeing). We've taken him to the vet who said something about hypogenic dyspepsia and not to worry. After reading these posts, though, I'm very worried!

??
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:06 PM

Tiggerclr,,,,, just to mention this,,,, two years ago my dog, collie/golden retriever cross, quit eating one day. after a few days, we knew it wasn't just being silly, so at the vets we started the tests,,,,, needless to say i had to soften food, and make her eat some. she lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks, with really no results from tests. friends had some similar problem and found out their dog had Addisons disease,,,,, controlled with meds. i asked to have this test done,,,,,$180.00 for test. but they admitted her in morning, took a blood test,,,, injected her with a serum to activate gland that produces hormores associated with brain activity telling them they are hungry... then another blood test,,,, then home at noon . she came in the house,,, straight to her food container and scratched for food. i fed her,,, same at suppertime,,, she ate and before bed she wanted more.... next day breakfast was good then the injection started to wear off and back to not wanting to eat again... SO vet gave me meds for Addisons which after about 4 weeks i weened her off them like vet said to ,,,, been fine ever since. Now she seems to be drinking water a lot,,,, after 3 weeks of this, back to vet last Sat. jan 13/07 at which time she said Taylor looks in great health,,, little overweight but no signs of a problem... but she too blood for testing and monday i am to collect urine and stool samples for testing also. Vet did say her eyes were very very slightly cloudy, but not overly, or like a catarac problem. I will collect the urine from her first pee in morning as that will not be diluted with all the water she drinks,,,, so outside at about 5:30 am with my rubbermaid containers. will update. and thanks so much for letting me join this forum,,, i found it very interesting, and lots of caring people of pets too.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:51 AM

dog drinking too much water

My vet has just diagnosed my lab with generally being very healthy except he drinks too much water. His kidneys are not concentrating his urine. After several sets of blood, urine and xray tests, he was diagnosed with healthy kidneys but after monitoring we realized he drinks way too much water. (We had a kiddie pool all summer which may have caused this problem to start). As best as I can understand, his kidneys are healthy but not being used because of the large amount of water he is drinking. We always knew our lab would overeat if his food was not monitored but now we have to regulate his water intake as well. Based on his weight, the vet has calculated he needs just under 1 litre water per day. We now give him water 4 times a day. We live in a cold climate so right now the weather is not a factor. I am not sure what we will do when the hot summer days come. As this problem was new to me I thought I would share it as its sounds like others may experience this with their dog. This diagnosis was from the vet after numerous tests ruling out diabetes, etc.
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:58 PM

Boxer #3

So I'll be the third boxer owner who's dog drinks water obsessivly. (11 years old) I've taken her to the vet, got blood and urine tests to check for issues. (cushing/kidney/infection etc) All came back clear.

The drinking water doesn't bother me, it's the urination and in HUGE quantities all over my carpets and floors every other day that have me considering some perminant solutions to this problem.

She's on the Protin now, and as of 3 weeks still peeing on my floor. I let her out 9-12 times per day to pee, and still she pees on my floor. It's unreal. I even tried the doggie diapers, she pees right through them and onto my floor.

So now I'm trying to put water down on a schedule. Honestly between the diapers/pills/vetbills/carpet cleaning/paper towels and extreme aggravition I'm feeling, I'm starting to loose hope.

This has been going on about 4 months, and the vet doesn't know what to do either.
Any tips?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:21 AM

Proin is POISON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBabe View Post
So I'll be the third boxer owner who's dog drinks water obsessivly. (11 years old) I've taken her to the vet, got blood and urine tests to check for issues. (cushing/kidney/infection etc) All came back clear.

The drinking water doesn't bother me, it's the urination and in HUGE quantities all over my carpets and floors every other day that have me considering some perminant solutions to this problem.

She's on the Protin now, and as of 3 weeks still peeing on my floor. I let her out 9-12 times per day to pee, and still she pees on my floor. It's unreal. I even tried the doggie diapers, she pees right through them and onto my floor.

So now I'm trying to put water down on a schedule. Honestly between the diapers/pills/vetbills/carpet cleaning/paper towels and extreme aggravition I'm feeling, I'm starting to loose hope.

This has been going on about 4 months, and the vet doesn't know what to do either.
Any tips?
Please get your dog off of PROIN. Please go over to http://www.i-love-dogs.com/forums and read all postings (18 replies). Look under Dog Health and Nutrition--click on it and then find: Is Your Dog on Proin (sorry, but you have it spelled wrong and this is what your dog is on!) and click on that. And if that isn't enough--put Proin/side effects in dogs or something on that order in your browser---and please hurry!
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Unhappy German/shepard Akita mix also drinking alot of water

I have a german/shepard akita male. He is 13 1/2 years old. My other child, my best friend. He has been drinking alot of water especially at night about 8:30-12:30, drinking, going out, sometimes until 1:30 am sometimes 2:00 am. I also took him to vet, urine tests showed severe urine infection, i have had him on antibotic for 3 weeks. No better, actually worse. When he first started antibotic it helped for few days then became more & more of drinking water & going out. Every night he pee's in his sleep. 2 big floods. I have bought 3 different types of diaper/guards and male wraps but none work. First one was too small. Second one the guard was made more for a female dog. Now the 3rd one i bought last night fits but is very constricting. He fell after i put it on him. You see i should mention my dog has a spinal disease. No its not the same as hip displasia. It is called degenerative myelopathy. It eventually paralysis dog- they cant walk any more. There is no cure for it. Sometimes dogs get it at a slow pace-over the years but then some dogs, it hits them in months time. My dog started with it about 3 years ago-it wasnt that bad-he could walk and run-but his hind legs would give out sometimes and his back feet would drag a little bit. But now the past 4 months it really is hitting him. He falls alot, his feet curl under and make it hard to walk for few seconds. Ive read about it and it can make them loose there bowl and urinary use when the disease is really hitting them. My vet knows this but hasnt mentioned if thats the cause-instead he says we have to let him finish the antibotic, then for one week he has to be off and we'll do another urine cullture. My dog is generally feeling ok during the day, except day before yesterday, i tryed him on one of those urine leaking pills. What a mistake..i thought he was going to get a heart attack. Then last night or i should say this morning 4;30 am he woke me up breathing hard. He had peed on rug and when i did let him out again, he fell several times. Going out -then coming in. Today he feels bad, i know he does. I know when he does do accidents he puts his head down-like im sorry mommy-dont be mad at me..but i never yell at him-never had to his entire life, he has been such a gift to me--my best friend, i know his days are numbered now, i'm crying as i type..only people that are really close to their dogs can know how i feel. I am a stay at home mom, and this dog has always been a big part of my daily living. Everyone that knows him knew how he was so close to me--i use to have to take him in bathroom with me when i showered-cause he'd cry if i didnt-things like that. Well if anyone out there has any suggestions-or has ever been this route-or even a few nice words would help-thanks for listening-annie
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:22 AM

I have the same problem with my dog too. I have a 15 years old Black Miniature Schnauzer. He had the same exact movement as your dog... So it was time to take the shot for the vaccination so i went and told my vet. They checked up on him and say that he had less then a year to live.... He is now 15years old and still lives but have the same problem... when my vet told me i lost half of my life... this baby of mine has less time to live and i didn't have much time to spend with him because my uncle was fighting cancer... But as days go by he sleeps a lot, drink a lot and some time he runs around like a puppy .... so i was like what in the world was my vet thinking .... my Pocky is still alive after they told me he only have a less then a year to live.... that time i was so stress out my uncle is about to die and now my Pocky is leaving .... i could not stand the pain and sadness.... Sad thing my uncle passed away but thankfully my dog is living more than a year and still lives.... That made up my life so baldy.... still trying to find a cure but i think i'm going to try pedialyte where a lot of site says its good... I can't trust vets anymore because my vet that told me those word was a good vet in USA so the only hope is the internet, talking to the owner of a pet they love and truly understand how they see there own pet suffer and trying to find the cure is the best vet i think i can ever find!!!
Old June 8th, 2014, 01:06 PM

Post My Dog is drinking 4 to 5 liters of water single day since two days.

Is it a good symptom if a "DOG (SCOOBY)" consumes too much water. Recently i got it treated because of allergic problem. N doctor gave him injection(anti-biotics). Is it because of that? or any other reason. Please help me out I love him very much...
Old June 8th, 2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarshan View Post
Is it a good symptom if a "DOG (SCOOBY)" consumes too much water. Recently i got it treated because of allergic problem. N doctor gave him injection(anti-biotics). Is it because of that? or any other reason. Please help me out I love him very much...
plzzzzz reply fast
Old June 8th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarshan View Post
Was the shot abx or steroids? For allergies, they usually use steroids, which will cause the dog to drink a lot of water.

I am not sure if abx will cause this type of reaction. I would call the vet if you can. If not, make sure you take the dog out a lot to pee, and call first thing in the morning.
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Was it antibiotics or steroids to control the allergy? If it was steroids, then that could increase water consumption and urination. Best to call the vet to find out exactly what the injection was and ask if it could be causing Scooby's problem.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ooops....didn't see your reply, MaxaLisa! I posted from a page back. But it's good advice!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 9th, 2014, 01:25 AM
Senior Contributor