Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:49 PM

Automated kitty litter boxes??

I'm asking this for a friend. She's a tad overwhelmed at home and her hubby isn't the greatest in terms of helping to clean the cat box. (She has a hard time getting down stairs and the basement is really the only place she says they can keep the box) She really loves her kittty and wants to keep him, but the box is leading to conflicts.

She asked me about those automated kitty litter boxes and if there is a brand that is best.

I must admit I have no idea, I never used one and I don't know anyone else who has either. I heard that sometimes cats are scared of them.

Right now I think her solution is to have an extra litter box (a big one) so the scooping is less often, and I'm hoping that works out for them.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of the automated boxes?
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:41 AM
banned user

I had one a few years ago for Boots and it worked great, especially when I wasn't home all day...it doesn't go off until there is no motion in the box..I've forgotten the time....so the cat isn't spooked by it....I gave it to my cousin for her multiple cats and she loves it as well...but just my experience.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:06 AM
Willing cat servant

On youtube I've seen 2 very interesting auto cleaning litter boxes. The "Litter Robot" and the "Cat Genie" the first one spins after 7 seconds the cat finished using and it deposits the waste in a drawer.

The Cat Genie literally flushes down the poo and pee. It has a rinsing cycle. I believe you need extra grainy litter and it washes the litter with soap, rinses it and dries the litter with hot air. The only disadvantage I see on this one is that it needs connections to water and drain (as if it was a little washing machine) aside that looks awesome, I'm tempted myself to get one of those.

Now for a tight budget (and who's not watching the budget these days) I also saw another litter box that is not automatic but you manually spin the litter or kind of like a cradle motion and it will deposit the clumps and the poop in a little drawer as well. I think the name is Omega Paw Self Cleaning Litter Box (an ex-neighbor of mine has it). This one well yes you have to clean it but in an easier way than the old scoop and bag. Kinda like the Robot one except you spin it XD

You can youtube the name of these 3 litter boxes to see them working yourself. Litter Robot, Cat Genie and Omega Paw Self Cleaning Litter Box

P.S. I haven't tried them but I'm always looking for better solutions for litter issues

Last edited by Koteburo; October 3rd, 2010 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Typos!
Old October 4th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Senior Contributor

We have a Littermaid one. I used it when we just had 1 cat and it was great. Except for the fact that Willie only poops or pees in one spot, so the holding container would fill up in one spot and then the container lid wouldn't close tight all the time.

I also used plastic bags to line the container part so that I could just lift it out and not have to keep buying the container boexe.

When we got O'Shawnnessey and Mirabelle it was just filling up too often so I stopped using it. Also if the cat is big, like Willie is, I would get the larger bin so her cat could move around more, as the bin we have is not long enough for willie and he sometimes went on the part that has the motor in it. It also doesn't start to rake until after 10 minutes of no motion. Your friend will also have to use good litter so that the rake does a good job.

I used Scoop, by Purina.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)

Last edited by Tundra_Queen; October 4th, 2010 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typos
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM
chronically insane.

I don't find automated kitty boxes appealing I currently have 6 litter boxes for my 11 kitties (yes, i know.. breaking the rules here but i literally have no more space for boxes!).. manual scooping is much easier for me. my mom also has an easy time just throwing out the last bit of litter and cleaning out the boxes with disinfectant and natures miracle. Many of the automated boxes just look difficult to clean and not very sanitary.

I currently use Worlds Best Cat Litter mixed with baking soda. All of my litter boxes are the kind made from the non-stick plastic with that Micro-ban or whatever it is. So nothing sticks in my boxes compared to clay litter in a regular kitty box.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009