Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 26th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire

Exclamation Help!

I don't know what to do! I just adopted two Chi's, one, Tammy, she's a purebred, and George, a Chi/Corgi/JRT cross. This is their second full day with me...and George has displayed aggressiveness towards other dogs before..but he just bit me...I don't know what to do. He bit Tammy as well, he had her in a choke hold and she was crying (he did this because he heard another dog barking on the street) so I went to try to scold him and he lunged at me, put his teeth around my hand, but didn't bite down hard.

I don't know what to do! What if he had bitten me really hard? I let him know right away how bad that was. I yelled NOOOO! but then he looked scared...so I felt bad for yelling...but...biting people OR other dogs IS NOT acceptable behaviour..I'm almost in tears, I don't know what to do...Please help!

Laura.
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

This may be why he was dumped in the first place. The fact that he didn't bite hard is hopeful. People often let little dogs get away with murder, and don't bother training them.

I suggest you get him into obedience school. Yelling won't help, and may escalate the aggression. He needs to learn in a calm way who is in charge.

Training could help. Here is a link that you may find helpful for him:

Boot Camp
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Sammi

Agree with LR. Training and/or an animal behaviourist. Is he neutered?
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM

theyre scared too

Both our dogs we have adopted from an animal rescue, and both of them had their issues when we got them. Neither had been properly trained and we had a many a hair pulling days, but I am glad to report with lots of love and understanding, patience, training and time, we now have two dogs that we think are the best in the world!

When we were going through a world of frustration with our first dog someone had reminded me of how stressful the whole changing homes and routines must be for the dog, which kind of turned a lightbulb on for me. It doesnt mean you dont discipline or train, but just be aware of that fact,as a dogs inclination is to please its owner - the alpha dog.

In our experience the first week to month is the most difficult, then things will seem to be much better for a spell, then you'll have the occasional setback, and you move forward. Our first guy took about three weeks to become comfortable in our house and about a year to get all the bugs ironed out, and is now a perfect angel! Our second guy we got in February and put us through two months of torture, to the point where we briefly considered giving him up, but he has come around and we couldnt fathom giving him up today, we still hit the occasional bump, but given time we're confident he'll be as perfect a companion as our first.

Hang in there, good luck to you, and one piece of advice my vet gave me, when they drive you to the pinnacle of frustration find a ZEN place to allow the anger to pass, as anger will not command respect from your pet. FYI, depending on the dog you may have to be fairly strong to establish yourself as the alpha, all in the training!

Old August 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire

That article was great! It explains everything. Definitely.

Now, what's the best obedience training method? Any recommendations for toronto central? Who's the best out there? Thanks
Old August 26th, 2004, 04:09 PM

I agree that yelling won't help, but you HAVE to be firm. definitely say NO! in a firm voice and hold down around the muzzle just enough that he knows you mean business. I have a rescue who bit me in training class, and that is what I was told to do. i did that and she's NEVER tried it again since and this was 3 years ago. You can't be calm in a situation like that and make it seem like it's not a big deal. It's a HUGE deal and your dog has to know that it will most definitely NOT be tolerated. Any good trainer will tell you that...