Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 20th, 2004, 11:25 PM

Unhappy my cat is limping

Hi! I'm using this site for the first time. I dont really know the delay for the answer, so dont worry, I'll go see a real vet as soon as I think my cat might be suffering.
I have a sphynx, his name is Indiana.
Recently, he was licking the water in the shower, so I tryed to grab him to take him out of there. Doing so he slipped and twisted because of the water.
Now, he is limping on his front leg. I can see he has no apparent injury, because it's an hairless cat. The leg isnt swollen, he does'nt lick his paw or leg. He even plays and runs, but less then usual. He shows no signs of being bothered other then limping.
It's been 24hrs now. Tomorrow is sunday so I thought of waiting to see if the limping would decrease but in 24hrs it didnt.
I dont have much money. I wont hesitate to treat him if need be, but I dont want to over react either. He moves normally so I dont think its his back. I verified his paw and evreyclaw is in place. His claws are well maintained and I never got close of the nerve or anything. How would I see a broken claw( or toe?)?
Even when I press on his leg or shoulder, he doesnt react at all. Do you have any idea what I should be looking for?
Would it be swollen if sprained ? I tried to put ice but I dont know where he is hurt and he is highly uncooperative he just wants to play.
But I must say it breaks my hearth to see him move around. He limps a lot but works it out on 3 legs. He can even jump and climb on his cat tree....
Thanks for any help or advice you could give me
Geneviève.
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:36 AM
Senior Contributor

If you see no sign of injury and no swelling, he may have simply sprained his leg or pulled a muscle.

You could wait a few days and see if there is improvement. IF there is not, or it gets worse, then see your vet. Try and keep him quiet in the meantime - I know that's not easy! Maybe you could remove his cat tree until he shows improvement.