Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old December 1st, 2012, 10:01 PM

Pet limit

Does your city have a pet limit? IN my city, we are only allowed to have 3. they changed this rule a few years ago. If you had more pets at the time you could grandfather them in. I was not happy about this. Why should the city get a say on how many pets I have? I take care of them and make sure they are well fed and healthy. They are in a very clean environment, so it should be my say on how many pets I can handle!
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:18 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Here in Medicine Hat, I think it's 3 for dogs and 5 for cats. But if you're fostering you can have 7 cats, not sure how many dogs can be fostered. I think that's more than generous. I don't think there are any limits in Calgary but they seem to have the most awesome animal control people there from what I've heard and read, dogs are even allowed on public transit which I think is just awesome!!
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

My , Edmonton has a limit of 3 dogs, I have no idea how many cats you can have in one household or foster dogs/cats.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:38 AM
Senior Contributor

We have a 3 pet limit where I am. I feel woefully under petted at this point in time!
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:38 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Were a 3 dog limit as well not sure about cats.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchdog View Post
Does your city have a pet limit? IN my city, we are only allowed to have 3. they changed this rule a few years ago. If you had more pets at the time you could grandfather them in. I was not happy about this. Why should the city get a say on how many pets I have? I take care of them and make sure they are well fed and healthy. They are in a very clean environment, so it should be my say on how many pets I can handle!
It sound like there where some people that had more dogs than they could handle and people could had complaint about the dogs pooping in their yards etc. A lot of cities and towns have a pet limit per household. I was not able to find mine, I think it is 3 or dogs per household .
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:29 PM

We are allowed up to 3 dogs and no limit on cats. When we were living in the city, it was a maximum of 3 animals (dogs and cats combined).

Personally, I have no issues with limits. If there were no limits, you'd have the wrong people abusing it.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
Personally, I have no issues with limits. If there were no limits, you'd have the wrong people abusing it.
I disagree. I think there are other ways to target those who exploit not having a household pet limit (to the detriment of those animals), that doesn't infringe on the many people that CAN properly care for larger than "normal" numbers of pets. And who decides what the limit should be, and why? One person may be able to easily look after 10 cats, and another might suck at looking after 1. Just as with dogs and BSL, I think it should be a case-by-case thing, not a blanket law applied to all situations.

The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw

Quote:
What is a Responsible Pet Owner?
Animal & Bylaw Services does not advocate limiting the number of pets or breed specific legislation. This is because we believe that poor animal behaviour results from a failed relationship between pet and owner. Therefore, Animal & Bylaw Services advocates responsible pet ownership based on the following five principles:
  • License and provide permanent identification for pets.
  • Spay or neuter pets.
  • Provide training, physical care, socialization and medical attention for companion pets.
  • Do not allow pets to become a threat or nuisance in the community.
  • Procure your pet ethically and from a credibable source.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM

I know that there are many people that abuse it, but it is not right for those that love their pets and treat them like family.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Just as with dogs and BSL, I think it should be a case-by-case thing, not a blanket law applied to all situations.
I think it's a stretch to compare pet limits to BSL.. but that's my opinion.

It would be a wonderful society if we could judge individual home owners and pet limits on a case by case basis - but I don't think there are the resources for that, do you? I don't know.. seems like a lot more work and money than necessary. I don't see why people can't be happy with a certain limit and be done with it. If you need to go above and beyond the limit, my suggestion would be for the cities to have special licenses/permits for those individuals. Those could be looked at on a case by case situation I suppose.

All that said, I've never been one to have more than 2 cats at a time, and I'll never have more than 2 dogs (I'm barely keeping afloat with this group!) It's harder for me to see the perspective from someone who may have a lot more than that.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We have 8 dogs and live in a very small community with no limits. So no problem, there.

However, we used to be in a city that had a 2-dog limit. At the time we had three dogs, but we had one registered through our in-laws so all three could be licensed. In most cases, it seems there is no enforcement unless a neighbor complains or someone sees an obviously neglectful situation. Which, of course, means that even with limits, there are animals in abusive or neglectful situations that fall through the cracks. In fact, I suspect that most abuse/neglect is hidden indoors and never detected. So I'm not sure what the setting of a limit actually does for the animals. People who will be out of their element are not going to be stopped by the limit, but some people who could handle more may be prevented from doing so by following the limit.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
So I'm not sure what the setting of a limit actually does for the animals. People who will be out of their element are not going to be stopped by the limit, but some people who could handle more may be prevented from doing so by following the limit.
Good point. So I wonder why cities do bother putting a restriction then - because it's a huge money grab to ask all pet owners to register and license their animals. If one removed all restrictions, that would potentially mean more money flow.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I think it's a stretch to compare pet limits to BSL.. but that's my opinion.
It's still a blanket policy applied to ALL situations without regard to the individual circumstances, so I personally think they are comparable.

Quote:
It would be a wonderful society if we could judge individual home owners and pet limits on a case by case basis - but I don't think there are the resources for that, do you?
Calgary seems to make it work. I would think more resources would be needed to police the number of pets someone has than not to.

As for licensing being a "money-grab", here are some of things that the licence fees fund here in Calgary:

Quote:
Under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, at three months of age all cats and dogs residing in the City of Calgary must have a City of Calgary licence. Licensing fees, not tax dollars, fund the following programs and services:
  • Reunite lost cats and lost dogs with their owners.
  • Operate the Pet Drive Home program.
  • Educate cat and dog owners about responsible pet ownership.
  • Enforce the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.
  • Shelter and feed lost impounded cats and impounded dogs in our vet-operated facility.
  • Manage our animal adoption program.
  • Offer school programs at no charge.
  • Deliver public education programs.
  • Run our volunteer animal socialization program.
  • Help neighbours resolve their animal related conflicts.
  • Provide funding to veterinary clinics for emergency medical care for injured stray cats and dogs.
  • Operate the No Cost Spay/Neuter program for the cats and dogs of eligible Calgarians.
  • Provide medical care to adoptable cats and dogs in our state of the art clinic.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
It's still a blanket policy applied to ALL situations without regard to the individual circumstances, so I personally think they are comparable.
So we can agree to disagree then

Quote:
Calgary seems to make it work.
Yup, Calgary is the front runner for this - agreed. But here in my town, we are miles and miles away from this. I pay a nominal fee to my small town to license my dogs. That doesn't give me a dog park. That doesn't even give me access to a local vet. There are no educational seminars happening in this small town. Where does that money go then? It certainly isn't going to anywhere you listed. Calgary is ahead of the game and all cities/towns should use it as an example - but until they are, where is my money going? I will still license and register my dogs though, because it's the law - but you won't convince me that it's nothing more than a money grab here in this town.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:07 AM

I'm not moving from Calgary until I have fewer dogs. My aging inlaws want me to move back to their area of Quebec. But there's a two dog limit for the whole canton and they have a really, really nasty AC guy. He has the right to enter your house and doesn't hesitate to do so.
The way the City sees it, if there are verifyable complaints against your dog(s), you end up in trouble. No complaints, no trouble. And as long as all are licenced and well behaved, they have no problems. I have a friend that has 10 little dogs, all licenced, no complaints and has a great relationship with Animal Services and Bylaw.
Personally, I think hard and fast limits does more harm than good as people wanting to adopt extra dogs from pounds etc, can't. Of course, hoarding is a different kettle of fish, but limits don't seem to prevent those situations.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
So we can agree to disagree then

Yup, Calgary is the front runner for this - agreed. But here in my town, we are miles and miles away from this. I pay a nominal fee to my small town to license my dogs. That doesn't give me a dog park. That doesn't even give me access to a local vet. There are no educational seminars happening in this small town. Where does that money go then? It certainly isn't going to anywhere you listed. Calgary is ahead of the game and all cities/towns should use it as an example - but until they are, where is my money going? I will still license and register my dogs though, because it's the law - but you won't convince me that it's nothing more than a money grab here in this town.
My city does not do any of that either. In fact when I found two dogs in my yard I was the one that made phone calls to find the dogs owners, the ACO was of no help , I could not reach her as she only worked part time. My city no longer has a van to pick up lost dogs , the ACO uses a car to pick lost dogs or roadkills.
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:22 PM

My thing is with cats. Cities are always like well there are too many strays out and about. Well if I am willing to take them in and get them fixed so they can not have any more, what is it hurting as long as I foot the bill and take care of them?