Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:11 AM

Arrow 8 month old Tortie constant crying?

Hey guys, I have a question and hope someone can give me some tips or something

My cat is an 8 month old Tortie, she was fixed 2 months ago and they gave her a clean bill of health..my problem is she won't stop crying!! Is this normal for Tortoiseshells?! I've had cats before but never a tortie and I'm about to go CRAZY!!

I've heard Torties can be vocal but this is a bit extreme lol. She stares at walls and just "yells" at them. She'll even go into my kitchen lately and just cry for what feels like forever!

I've read online to ignore them, distract them, hiss at them, and nothing works!

She's always cried for everything but for the past 3 weeks its getting out of control, I'm a huge cat lover but I've never had to deal with this before. She can play fetch for at least 2 hours and still want to keep going, are they always this hyper?

Her back twitches a little in the middle sometimes, and her tail has always flicked a lot. Shes also got into the habit of moving her blanket around the house, if I pick it up and put it back where it goes she moves it again and chews it for awhile. This habit started at the same time as the meowing. No moving, nothing stressful, everything is exactly the same as before! She's never been a cuddler but she's starting sleeping curled up next to me too.

I'm trying to hold off on going to the vet because when I take her up there it takes 3 men with gloves to hold her down to get anything done. She gets so stressed out, I end up crying! She bites, claws, and growls at everyone. Some guy popped his head in to say hello to her one day and she went nuts.

So, anybody with a similar experience with a cat? I just want the crying to stop
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry you are going through this. I have had many tortoiseshells and they were never that vocal...can you upload a video of this behavior...maybe she is bored? hurt? can you get a second opinion? what is her history? I have socialized a few colony cats and they were very vocal for the first week trying to find their friends or their mom..but it only lasted for about 5 days and then they settled in? I am sure there will be others on this board who can shed some light...sorry I can not help...good luck
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:29 AM

When we got her she was only 5 weeks old. My friend had her mom, who was in heat and was crying all the time so she was in a rush to find her a new home. I kept telling her to keep her there a little longer, shes too young but she ignored me. She had the mom maybe 4 weeks before she gave her away, broke my heart. Especially to see her get another kitten a month or 2 after she got rid of her!

Anyway, shes always been vocal. She would cry to be fed, to be played with or whatever. As she got older she started to run into the back of my house and just let out loud cries, and it slowly started getting to the point where she would wake us up. We figured she was just in heat. (she started it about a month before she was fixed)

She was fixed in December and had a rough time with it. The vet gave her some medicine to sedate her while she was at home and she drooled and threw up all over herself. I thought she was going to die!! I took her in and she got a shot and some medicine and it went away within a few days.

Then about 3 weeks ago, she decided she was going to go into the back bedroom and let out loud meow at the ceiling fan and just kept going! I took her out of the room and shut the door and that didn't stop her. She goes into the bathroom with me when I take a shower and she gets on the toilet and stares up at the wall and lets out a cry. Her new favorite spot is to sit in my kitchen and let it all out. She's even started laying in the middle of my living room and just meowing as loud as possible!

I've tried recording her but she knows what a camera is and has to pose lol. I did manage to get her where she was behind me and crying but it wasn't very loud, I can try to upload that on here some how.

I would get her a friend, but I'm not even really supposed to have her So not only is she super loud but she's going to get me in trouble I play with her all the time, she really loves fetch but mommy doesnt lol She has all the toys you can imagine, her diet hasn't changed. I'm thinking she might have a sensitive stomach like her mom, so I'm going to try to switch foods.

Shes extremely picky when it comes to food, she will only eat Fancy Feast wet food in the pink box. She's getting tired of that, but she refuses to eat dry food unless I don't wake up to feed her. She was great on dry food until my vet forced me to feed her a "special diet" because "I feed her too much"??! Now she refuses to go near it

I've had lots of cats before but she is just so loud lol. Shes completely different than the rest, she doesn't like to be pet. She likes to lay in wet bath tubs, loves my humidifier (I tell her shes clearing her nose) I just can't for the life of me figure out whats wrong.

Before her spay, I told them about her breathing heavy and the meowing before she goes to the bathroom. They listened to her and didn't say anything was weird about her breathing and pretty much told me if shes not crying when shes in the litter box then shes fine. She has no problems going to the bathroom, her poop smells horrible but I've read that any cat on Fancy Feast can lay some nasty stink bombs lol.

Not sure what else to include, but if anybody thinks of anything that I missed let me know
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:55 PM

the food

hi,

I am not sure ''fancy feast'' is the best food... perhaps you can go to a pet product store and get another kind of food.
Perhaps the food she is eating now is not nutritious enough and she is simply hungry! It's worth a try for sure.

Keep in mind that the vet makes a big profit from the food you buy there... Keeping yourself informed and looking up discussions in forums like this one can help you make well informed decisions about what to feed and where to buy it from!

hope this helps, keep us posted

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat

Last edited by sandyrivers; March 11th, 2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: add info