Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 15th, 2012, 04:12 PM

My adopted German ShepherdXAlaskan Husky is exhausting me!

Hello to all! I am new to Pets.ca. I have joined in hopes to find some advice on how I can start enjoying my dog.

Our story: I adopted Myra from the SPCA 2 1/2 years ago. Myra, is a dominant female with fear aggresion issues which I was warned about through the adoption process. I have not been able to break her of her random attack issues she has with some other dogs and decided not to socialize her to avoid injuries. In making that decision I am left to find ways of gettting her the excercise she needs to be a happy well adjusted dog.

Myra is walked two times a day for from 1/2- 1 hour. I also do ball fetching with her for 15-20 min. once or twice per day. Note* When I have time I take her for 2 hour hikes where she ran freely off leash. After these long hikes she rests for a bit and then in a short time she is ready for the next adventure.

Well, still waiting for the happy, relaxed and well adjusted dog I should have with all the excercise she is gettting not to mention all the petting, frequent beef soup bone treats & regular indoor fetch games I play with her. This energetic girl gets in from this excercise, rests for a little while and then begins her whining and groaning act. We have a 1/3 acre fenced in yard where I put her to get a break from her whining and groaning and all she does is bark for attention. I am exhausted from trying to figure out this energetic dog!

Last edited by hazelrunpack; February 15th, 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Adjusted font size for readability
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome to the forum!! feel free to post some pics of Myra - we are addicted to pix

Not sure what to suggest for you but if Myra likes food you may try something that puts out treats at a low rate. I have one of these for my cat but it works with dogs too.

Good luck! http://www.pipolino.ca/eng/fordogs.html
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Hi Boots! Welcome to the board.

I think Marco has a great suggestion. Another product similar to the one he suggested and one that I find great for my dogs is http://www.omegapaw.com/products/tricky-treat-ball.html

I also think your dog may have some separation anxiety issues? I'm not really sure how to deal with it, but I'm sure some more experienced trainers will come along shortly!
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board,

As a Animal Services Officer, I have to say that is it not the best interest for you or your dog, to let her off leash, if she is prone to being aggressive with other dogs. Even in remote areas when hiking. You are pretty much asking for trouble letting her off leash. You could be fined greatly, sued,and worse your dog could be put down. i dont mean to be rude, but please be responsible and leash your dog when out in public. I see and enforce dog attacks everyday. GS and Huskies need regular extensive excercise. Why not give the SPCA a call where you adopted her from and see if they can provide any help? Maybe they have a behaviourist that works there or can provide outside help?

I'm just curious are you experienced in dogs that have aggressive issue? I am a little shocked that a SPCA would adopt out a dog with agressive issues (as a liablity on their side) I mean i know some shelters that, if they have a adoptee who has extensive experience working with animals with behavioural issues, but its rare.

I hope you can find a solution. This dog deserves a second change and it breaks my heart in wondering why your dog has resorted to this behaviour, as I know it probably has to do with her previous contact with humans

Last edited by NoahGrey; February 19th, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old February 24th, 2012, 02:55 PM
owned by dobes since 1975

does she have any doggy friends at all that she gets along with?

it can be a long haul to desensitize her to other dogs, but maybe there is a trainer in your area who can help.

can you set up a small agility course in your yard for fun and exercise?

How about a 'flirt' pole for fun! google it and check them out.

Hugz to your hyper girl!
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:22 AM

perhaps the pipolino!

Hi,

though designed for cats, the pipolino toy seems a great idea!
I looked up the website myself and really think your dog should try it.
I have not much experience with dogs, but it seems like something that could bring ''hours of entertainment'' to a pet!

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:39 AM
Elderly chihuahuas R us

Oh ho! I just ran a search for "flirt pole" on youtube and that is fantastic! And so easy to make! What a great idea!

Well, I would recommend that you hire someone to come in during the day and help exercise your dog. Maybe you could hire a high school student (someone with dog experience) or someone else to come in after school and play with the dog for, say, 30-45 minutes a day? (Keeping her there in your yard if she can't be trusted on leash with another walker.) If you belong to a church or other such organization, they might know of some adult suffering from a job loss or otherwise who might welcome the opportunity.

While it gets expensive, this might be a better option than having to spend half your day just keeping the dog active/amused.

If there is another family with an active dog nearby, perhaps you could get the dogs together for a romp session and split the bill. I know you said she isn't good with other dogs, but perhaps if she got adjusted to that ONE other dog, you could exercise them together and then split the costs with the other family.

Can she run after a bicycle (or be trained to do so)? That might also help to exhaust her a bit more, rather than just going for a typical walk.
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:42 PM

You may benefit from having a dog walker. Not only will the extra excercise give you a bit of a break, but an experienced friend in the pet industry can be invaluable for advice! Plus the dominance issue can be aided by having a clear pack leader during the walks (you could shadow some walks to learn how to "properly" walk a dog to keep your dog focused and "working" and also get advice on dealing with the agression and socialization issues resulting from the dominance).

A dog walker would also be able to help you teach your dog either to run with a bike OR on a treadmill which are great ways to get some of their extra energy out.

You would be surprised at the very subtle things that dogs to to test whether or not they are the dominant "dog" that most people dont even pick up on!

I agree that offleash time outside of a fenced yard for an aggressive or disobediant dog is dangerous for not only your dog but other dogs as well as people and children in the area.

It would greatly benefit your dog to have clear boundaries and rules aswell to keep her from being confused, anxious or whiney, and to let her relax and enjoy herself.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; April 10th, 2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: No self-promotion, pls
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:09 PM

Boots first of all, the exercise routine you describe sounds adequate for a low to medium energy dog. If she is in fact a high energy dog, what you are doing for her is a drop in a bucket of what she actually needs. It is a shame this dog was adopted out to you if you are not experienced or prepared to deal with her needs. I have high energy dogs, they can run off leash for 5 hours and do it again the next day without skipping a beat. On leash walks do not tire out high energy dogs unfortunately, you could be walking her all day on leash and not notice much difference. They do need to run off leash, which is complicated by her aggression issues. I do not condone letting any dog with any aggression issues run off leash unless you have absolute perfect control and robot like recall, which it certainly does not sound like the case here.

Some things you can consider:
-buy a treadmill for her to supplement her exercise needs
-enroll in agility classes for special needs dogs (some places offer special classes for dogs with aggression issues)
-find a fenced off and secure area where you can run her, a large back yard, a tennis court if it is not in use, industrial land, a dog park during ridiculous off hours in the middle of the night when there will be no one there, get creative...

Don't feel like your dog has to have dog friends! Many dogs don't socialize well with other dogs and trying to force them into it will never improve the quality of their lives and can put other dog's safety at risk. Not all dogs want to socialize with other dogs, accept it people!! Love them for who they are not who you want them to be. Your dog can gain far more satisfaction from having a wonderful fulfilling relationship with just you and other humans.