Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old June 29th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Update on Nanook-Can plastic bowls cause seizures?

Hi guys,

We went to the vet yesterday for f/u for Nanook. He had been seizure free for 3 weeks. She was very happy and said she felt he was cured and to resume life as normal. We were ecstatic, to say the least.

Today, we gave him back his water bowl (the 2 grand mal seizures he had both occured while he was drinking from this bowl). We had taken it away and gave him a glass bowl just as a precaution. We had told 3 different vets about it happening while he was drinking but they all said it had nothing to do with it. Tonight, he was drinking out of his plastic bowl and had another seizure
It was a grand mal, but not nearly as severe as the 2 previous and lasted in total about a minute. We administered 4ml valium rectally and now he is passed out.

It just seems so coincidental that all 3 were while drinking out of this one bowl. 3 weeks and he's fine until we give him back that bowl. Have any of you ever heard of this before? I've tried to do a little research and found one article that states plastics can cause seizures, but even when we took it away he was drinking out of the older dogs bowl (same material/manufacturer but about 8 yrs old) and his food bowl is a hard plastic "Go-Slow" (he's a ravenous eater and this bowl slows him way down) as well. Seems to be this one specific bowl. Or maybe it is just coincidence

I'm at a loss
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:48 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's possible that the bowl has some kind of contaminate in it. I'm by no means an expert on plastics or seizures, but that is a very strange coincidence you have described. The old bowl may be different, just because it was made eight years ago.

If it were me, I would replace the bowl just in case. You're obviously concerned about it and I'm sure it wouldn't set you back too much! Hahah.

And if you're really keen on looking into it, a university chemistry department might be able to take a look at the bowl for you. They may be able to analyze it if they have a mass spec... says my physicist boyfriend!

for Nanook! Hope he's feeling better soon
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenamlambe View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's possible that the bowl has some kind of contaminate in it. I'm by no means an expert on plastics or seizures, but that is a very strange coincidence you have described. The old bowl may be different, just because it was made eight years ago.

If it were me, I would replace the bowl just in case. You're obviously concerned about it and I'm sure it wouldn't set you back too much! Hahah.

And if you're really keen on looking into it, a university chemistry department might be able to take a look at the bowl for you. They may be able to analyze it if they have a mass spec... says my physicist boyfriend!

for Nanook! Hope he's feeling better soon

It's already been replaced lol. And that's a great idea! I told my hubby we should have the bowl tested but neither of us knew where to start. The U of A should have something, I'll check into it tomorrow, and thank you (and your boyfriend!) for the idea!
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:05 PM

Could it be the size or shape of the bowl as well??? Maybe of a height that might get him to bend his neck at a certain angle that puts pressure on some sensitive area of his brain/ brain stem/ spine???
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirela View Post
Could it be the size or shape of the bowl as well??? Maybe of a height that might get him to bend his neck at a certain angle that puts pressure on some sensitive area of his brain/ brain stem/ spine???
I don't think that's it, but at this point, who knows. It's about the same size/height as his food bowl, just a different material, style.
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:31 PM

Then it must be the chemicals...
Could you eliminate all the other variables??? water source? water temperature? perhaps the glass bowl keept the water cooler than the plastic?
how long was the water sitting in the bowl?
If there is something wrong with the plastic bowl, the longer the water sits in it and the warmer the water, the higher the chance of contamination...