Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:21 AM

Homemade diabetic diet

Hello. I'm new here and this is my 1st post, though I've been browsing this forum.

I hope there are some people on here who might be willing to answer my questions regarding a homemade diabetic diet. I don't want to bother my vet with too many questions because she's very busy and I really don't think she's very familiar with homemade food.

We've recently made the decision to stop feeding our animals commercial pet food. Because we own a small organic farm, we have access to a lot of fresh organic chicken backs, necks, and giblets as well as vegetables and lots of eggs.

I've read that for a healthy dog one should be feeding 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs and 1/3 non-starchy vegetables.

For a diabetic dog, I would assume that it's necessary to omit the starches and be very careful about fats, so this is the diet we've been feeding our 13-yr-old diabetic husky/collie mix:
*1 pint pressure-cooked chicken necks, backs and giblets with the fat poured off (to avoid stressing his pancreas)
*1 pint green vegetables (green beans, peas mostly)
*2 whole eggs
*1 tablespoon nutritional yeast

Pressure cooking eliminates the problems with cooked bones splintering, and the reason we're cooking is so that we can pour off the fats and to make it easier for the old guy to chew.

He eats 3/4 of this in the morning and 1/4 at night before bed. We've been feeding this diet for 2 weeks and the results have been nothing short of miraculous. We've got him down to 3 units of insulin twice daily (from 16 units twice daily!), his coat is looking wonderful, and I SWEAR he's looking around (a miracle - considering he's been blind for 2 years).

I think the improvements are because we've stopped poisoning him with commercial food, but I'm not convinced we're giving him a balanced diet. I have the feeling there might be something we're missing. His poops are pretty dry and crumbly now, and they don't have any odor. They come out formed and kind of moist but within a few hours they're as dry and crumbly as a clump of dry dirt.

Is there anything else he needs?

Thanks.
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

i would love to know more!! i have 5 rescued min pins, one that is almost 13 now diabect and blind, brenda and the pins
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:50 PM

I am also a new member. I found a recipe for dog food that was posted by Marco. It is just about the same as what you are doing, except that he also gave a recipe for a supplement. I have done a copy and paste of his recipe.
Hope this helps. I have been feeding my min schnauzer this recipe for about 3 months now and she is like a new dog. She was going down hill fast since she was diagnosed with heart disease.

Actually a nutritious and balanced diet based on “people food” is easy to prepare.

A 12 oz portion is suitable for one day’s ration for a 20 lb dog.
4 oz (1/2 cup) protein – any meat, chicken, fish or eggs (all cooked).
4 oz carbohydrate – for example cooked rice or grains, pasta, cooked cereals such as oatmeal, potatoes or even bread (packed tight when measuring).
4 oz vegetables – any cooked vegetables (obviously not potatoes or other high carbohydrates). Carrots, broccoli, turnips, green peppers, green beans, etc., but not onions which contain high sulfur content which is bad for dogs.
Simply mix the contents together or not as you choose.
While this basic diet is balanced it can be improved by some simple supplements.

To mix the basic supplement use
1 cup debittered brewers yeast
1 cup wheat germ
2 cups powdered milk
¼ cup powdered kelp
Mix together and store in a cool dry place.
To improve the diet quality add 1 tsp of the basic supplement for each 12 oz portion of the food mixture and 1 tsp vegetable oil (I prefer corn oil or flax oil since they have high content of linoleic acid which is good for the dog’s skin).
12 oz of the basic diet is appropriate for a 20 lb dog, you would double this daily ration for a 40 lb dog, triple it for a 60 lb dog or halve it for a 10 lb dog. Watch the dog’s weight and adjust portion sizes accordingly.