Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 14th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Question Food Allergy?

Eleanor (7 year old Min Pin) has been on Pro-Plan with Salmon for sensitive stomach for about two years now. It has been a Godsend. She doesn't throw up all the time, she's never constipated anymore, and she's completely off the Pepcid. HOWEVER, it wasn't long after she started it that I noticed little bumps on her skin. (I assumed that since the food is for sensitive stomach and skin, that there might be an added ingredient that affects the skin.) Over time, they have multiplied and now they're all over. Her vet says there is nothing to worry about, and doesn't recommend removing them (Ellie doesn't react well to anesthesia). They're just plain UGLY, but I've learned to live with it.
Well, last week, DH was talking to someone who mentioned their cat had had little bumps because of an allergic reaction to tuna. Do you think that Ellie could be allergic to Salmon? Could she be allergic and bumps are the only side effect? Is it worth it to change her food?
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Hi Staciewells1...so sorry to read of your poor pooch's discomfort. It definitely sounds like some type of allergy and food is usually the culprit.

do a search on www.dogfoodanalysis.com and check what they have to say about this food.

Often allergies are grain related and there is a lot of grain in this food. Perhaps you could consider some grain free foods, which a lot of the people here have had much success with.

My dogs are both on Orijen six fish and are both thriving but there are many others to consider too.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be by soon for futher assist you.

Good luck and hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
-

I agree with diandpat and would also switch to a grain free kibble. Grains are notorious for causing allergies and I think it would definitely be beneficial to switch Eleanor to one of the grain free brands.

Orijen also gets my vote as well (www.championpetfoods.com) or else Acana Provincials (also grain-free) which is made by the same company.

Good luck and let us know how she does.
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Red face Wow...

GRAIN! I never thought about that! I kept thinking it was the salmon. Thanks so much for responding so quickly. I'm on the hunt now for grain-free kibble for sensitive tummy. Wish me luck!!