Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Tabitha peeing again!!!!!!!!

Well Miss Tabitha is up to her old tricks again! well actually she has been for a couple of weeks on and off but today she really upset me!

As some of you remember she pee's only on Winstons beds or blankets and I have been using pheremones and letting Winston have supervised bed times. None of his blankets get left on the floor cause she will still pee on them pheremones or not.

Lately her choice of targets is Winstons crate. It is an EX LRG crate with a rubber mat in it. Well it is now ruined I am sure cause she has pee'd in there at least 10 times. So now we have to close the bedroom off in the basement where he loves to go lay in his crate. Or I have to let him in and when he comes out I immediately shut the door.

Today was the topper though! I went to do laundry and we had 2 pairs of rubber floor mats laying in the corner for use in the winter. As soon as I went down I could smell pee and thought the litter needed to be cleaned but no she had pee'd on the floor mats and to be honest it probably wasnt the first time thats for sure..but I didnt smell it or see it sooner! It was absolutely disgusting!

They are both due for a check up but I am at my wits end with her! I may have to resort to using some type of drug but the problem is she is a NIGHTMARE to pill...and its almost impossible to do! maybe they could give me something to put on her food but then she probably wont eat it! :sad:

I see her use the litter box too so its not like she doesnt like it. I have seen her come out from peeing in the crate and then go into the box to go!

Sorry just had to rant cause its so frustrating! Dont get me wrong I am so thrilled that she has not chosen any other part of the house or furniture etc to do this! I check all the time just to be sure!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post

Sorry just had to rant cause its so frustrating!
I can soooo relate Winston ! I know , it is NOT fun I'm looking to sell my house in December and might have to rip off the carpet in living room and will have to put another flooring $$$$
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:40 AM

Have you considered taking her to a homeopath vet? There are urinary/kidney/bladder/cystitis remedies that can be explored.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Could you please give a little background on Tabitha for us who do not know her story? Thanks!
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Apart from the suggestions about having her checked, have you thought maybe there is something about those mats she is drawn to or doesn't like? Have you always used them?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston,being very familiar with kitty-pee frustration,I feel for you,but there has to be a reason she's doing thisbut what

Frenchy,we have no carpeting left in our house and the hard-wood floor underneath was damaged from pee,we replaced it all with laminate floor,
I think it looks good and if you buy it on sale,it's not expensivesorry!
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Khari here is some background...

Tabitha 13 yrs old...never been sick ever! approx 1 1/2 she started this peeing behavour...had her checked...she had a UIT..treated it...didnt stop problem...had her x ray'd, blood panels, bladder test.

Bottom line vet felt it was either bad behaviour or idiopathic cystitis.

I have been using Feliway which helped for a short time but it certainly has not solved the problem.

She only does this on the dog stuff..not on our furniture, beds etc?????? (until the floor mats in the basement yesterday!)

Oh and the dog is not new too her we have had him almost 10 yrs??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Kitty pimp

ok stuoid ? bur have u tried 2 boxes?
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey there Jim! yes we have litter boxes...and I have watched her use them. I think its just her being a b&^%$ !!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

How about a tropical medication you can apply to her ears? I believe AG was using something for Czari when she first came in.
I would really try growler's suggestion for a homeopath? You never know. That may work.
Have you tried changing the actual litter boxes? Maybe she doesn't like the smell they are giving off if they are old. They are absorbing all those nasty smells...
Have you tried LP's home recipe for cleaning the spots she has used? The 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 cup water one. LP - that recipe is gonna be famous!!!!
Maybe Bach Remedy if you can find it. I don't know if you have tried it or not. It's the one you add to their water I think.
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
How about a tropical medication you can apply to her ears? I believe AG was using something for Czari when she first came in.
I was using prozac (fluoxetine). At first I was using the cream, and rubbing it on the inside of her ear, but she quickly got wise to me and I had to start using pills. It's regular prozac, but in a smaller mg. It worked very well on her, she was stress free and she did not pee anywhere, unlike when I first brought her inside.

You can always ask your vet about it and see if it might be an option for you. Czari was on it about 5 months, maybe 6, I can't recall. She also had no adverse affects on it or when I was weening her off of it.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old August 26th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Winston, I am sooooo in the same boat, and we're just slowing starting to leave the Port of Pee.

I have Angus on Cosequin for Cats and powdered cranberry suppplement. We've completely altered our lives for the time being with closed doors and covered furniture (poor Skylar and Finn). And I've changed the litter to a more favourable one.

I've found that completely eliminating the smell on everything he's peed on has been beneficial, I've even thrown a bunch of stuff out that I didn't think I could get the smell out of. You're so lucky she's only doing it on mats and such.

It's a tough go when urination is the problem, I hope you can sort her soon.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I so wish I could figure her out! We spent almost 1500.00 on tests an nothing came out as a conclusive diagnosis. She is really petite and so tough to pill. The last round of pills I thought I killed her! she flew out of my arms..hit a window and knocked herelf out for a second! all 6 freaking pounds of her! I have done everything everyone has mentioned from the cleaning, new litter boxes, thrown things out...

AG my only fear about the cream in the ears is what if Bomber licks her ears? and he does clean her? I dont know for now we will have to see if the annual checkup shows anything else?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Had (and still sometimes have) the same problem with Tuffy, she's 14 years old now. I found that whenever she starts with the pee behaviour, I lock her in our workroom (small tiled room in our basement) with just litter, water and food, and she never ever messes in there when she's locked in there! I sometimes keep her in there for up to a week, never letting her out (I do go in all the time to play with her and give her lovings) and once a week has passed she seems to be good for a few months.

I believe in Tuffy's case it's a behaviour problem (SPITE/RESENTMENT) she hates all the other cats (they pick on her) and she hates the dog, and pees on all his stuff .

So maybe a bit of solitary confinement will help Tabitha as well

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I so wish I could figure her out! We spent almost 1500.00 on tests an nothing came out as a conclusive diagnosis. She is really petite and so tough to pill. The last round of pills I thought I killed her! she flew out of my arms..hit a window and knocked herelf out for a second! all 6 freaking pounds of her! I have done everything everyone has mentioned from the cleaning, new litter boxes, thrown things out...

AG my only fear about the cream in the ears is what if Bomber licks her ears? and he does clean her? I dont know for now we will have to see if the annual checkup shows anything else?
Oh yeah, that might be an issue, the ear licking that is.

What I used to do when I started giving Czari the pills was hide them, not in pill pockets, but these little chewable hairball treats. I'd just stick it in the treat and she loved it and never knew realized there was a pill in there.

I hope you can figure out what's wrong with her.

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Hey there. I can feel your frustration as my kitty Biscuit has had peeing problems for probably about 6 months or so now. It was initially feline lower urinary tract disease and she was treated with a shot of Convenia, which is an antibiotic that stays in the body for two weeks. It was a but more expensive than pills or liquid but WAY worth it considering Biscuit is just about impossible to pill.

Even after treatment she was still peeing outside the box, on my bed, backpacks, purses, curtains. Through research I found that it was most likely because of her bad and painful memories of having to strain to pee in the box when she was sick. What I did that worked was to move her litterbox to another location, in my case across the basement in a nice quiet, isolated corner. She pretty much immediately stopped peeing in the house. I am also now cleaning the boxes everyday vs. every other day.

You may try this and I hope it could help. Just providing a new enviroment for her "bathroom" might be just what she needs. If you do this though make sure you take her to the new location several times, especially if she is scratching and displaying behavior like she's getting ready to pee.

If that doesn't help I have also heard of great luck with what Happycat mentioned which is to put her in a small room with her box, food, water, and toys for however long she needs to "reset" her good bathroom behavior.

Was there anything you did differently during the time that she was using her box normally?
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I thought I would breath some life back into this thread... We are headed back to the vet tomorrow. I finally decided to close my windows completely since its pretty much winter now and was not impressed to smell urine. When I went looking for it I found that my little princess must have been peeing behind one of our bedroom dressers. The dresser sits on an angle in the corner of the room so the area behind it is about 2' x 4'...so lots of area to cover. It was all dried though...nothing was wet.

Until I started cleaning the area first with pro solve and then with the solution of alcohal, etc..The I covered it with baking soda thinking it would draw out the odour. Cleaned it again and let it dry.

Came home on Tuesday to a few pee spots back in the same area...so either she can still smell it or she is not well. She has been sleeping alot but I contribute that to boredom at times and her age...she is an old gal after all.

She is actually ignoring me because I have been closing the bedroom when I went to work the past couple of days so she cant sleep on the bed like she normally does..

So I am hoping that she will cooperate with a sample for the vet. I take her tomorrow @ 4pm.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:56 PM

Extra, extra litter boxes

I feel your pain. Before we lost Karma to kidney failure at 17 she had been peeing in the house off and on for the entire 8 years she had been with us. Eventually we just added litterboxes everywhere. At last count we had 6 litter boxes for 2 cats. It was a real pain but it was the only thing that seemed to work, and we too had tried everything!
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:05 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Good luck tomorrow at the vets. Hopefully you will find the reason Tabitha is peeing.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:42 PM
You can call me DOG!

We are experiening the same problem with Kitty, Winston. Litter boxes are cleaned daily but we switched to a new kitty litter and have stopped the issue using amonia on our area carpets.

Kitty started to use the dog blanket and kitchen area rug as squat spots but when this happened, I immediately threw them in the washing machine with a 1/4 cup of amonia instead of bleach. She hasn't squatted on either one of these mats for the last couple months (knock on wood!)

Now I wash them weekly with laundry detergent and 1/4 cup of amonia just because.

Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:50 PM
-

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear about Tabitha.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow.
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:29 AM

We also used Fluoretine for a peeing problem, and it seems to work. We give it to the cat in a pill pocket, and luckily he takes it, none of my other ones will take pill pockets, though.
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Good luck with your girl Winston!

Old January 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sending along some more for Tabitha, Winston! Good luck at the vet today!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 14th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Good luck at the vet - hopefully all is well

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks for all the well wishes...other than being empty and having a bladder the size of a prune she is not showing any other ailments at the moment.

Her weight hasnt changed from a couple of months ago, she's eating, seems happy, temperature was normal just an empty bladder.

So we go back Monday to try again.

She told me we had to change her food and I just said no we wont because this is the only wet food I have ever been able to get her to eat and also she turns her nose up at anything different. She is just shy of 6lbs and I am not messing with her food again. She never even went any further
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't blame you for being so adamant about her food. It's so hard to get these kitties to eat anything sometimes.

I hope you get some good news on Monday.

Old January 17th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

No sample today...they said she was empty then again how the heck do you get a sample out of a kitty with a bladder the size of a prune apparently for a healthy kitty it should be the size of a clemantine ??

Of course she came home and promptly rushed down stairs with me in tow and she went and had a pee in the box

She will be spending the day on Thursday until they can get an adequate sample. I guess if need be they said they could probably give her some sub q fluids...we shall see..

Someone is gonna be really pissed at me..
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Bummer that you have to wait till Thursday now. Hope they get a sufficient sample then!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:58 PM
-

Quote:
Of course she came home and promptly rushed down stairs with me in tow and she went and had a pee in the box
Geeze ....how frustrating is that, eh?

Hope she co-operates on Thursday.