Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Angry Coyotes again

Well the SOB's bit Herc again, this time a gash in his groin area. They are very lucky that they outran my husband and his metal bat. This is the final time they will get him as we have taken holidays and are putting up a fence. With me almost 8 months pregnant $2000.00 for a fence was not a welcome expense, but a very necessary one. I would sell a limb to keep Herc safe. We just don't know what else to do.

Went to the vet and she prescribed antibiotics. This time its so much worse, Herc is very depressed. He is normally a very very social boy. Where we are, he is. When company is over he is usually so happy. Now, he is finding the darkest, quietest room in the house, squeezing himself into the tightest corner and hiding there all day long. The only good news is that he will eat treats (thats how I get him to take his pills). When we call him he won't come. I can barely get him outside twice a day to go pee. His groin area is bright flaming red from licking so much and his one leg is swollen.

I know the physical part will heal, I just dont know how to cheer him up. I cry every single day because he is suffering and so sad. Those big brown eyes are literally breaking my heart. At what point do I take him back to the vet, and what could they do?
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I would be really worried about the rabies aspect of the bite...... I hope he will be ok...
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:21 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

I hope Herc starts feeling better soon, but if his leg is still swollen and raw, then I'd say back to the vet, since it doesn't sound like those meds are doing the trick. Also, you may need an e-collar for him so he doesn't lick and make it worse. Did they do a rabies test?

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Honest Contributor

get an akita! grrrr coyotes would be suicidal to corner one... they would be dead in minutes. OK i know this is not feasible and i hope the fence will solve the problem... poor doggie!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I asked the vet about the rabies risk, she said there is no need to worry as he had his shots last year and they are good for 3 years. I do have a cone collar for him as he does lick excessively and he makes it worse (I bought it when he was bit last time :sad: ) He just started antibiotics on Monday so I am not sure yet if they are working. Its the location of the wound that is making him so uncomfortable- its right where his neutering took place (Good thing he didnt have anything there for them to grab onto) everytime he moves or tries to walk, the wound is rubbing and making him hop, drop to the ground and frantically lick (except now he can't because of the cone)

My Mom thinks part of the reason he is so down is because he "lost' the battle.... does anyone agree? And does anyone have any suggestions on how to cheer him up? We have bought him toys (which he doesnt care about right now) and we are taking him for truck rides whenever possible too. (Which he likes, but as soon as we get home he goes right back up into the empty bedroom) And of course he is getting tons of TLC (maybe too much?)
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Rottie owner and lover

is herc a rottweiler ???? if so, for him to be showing you pain, he IS in Excruiating pain.....Rottweilers are a noble breed with a very high pain tolerence, and they do not like to show they are weak. As for depressed because he lost a fight. No that is a human emotion....He is depressed because of the agony and pain he is in. I would not think twice and bring him back to the vet.
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Thank you Rottielover- yes, Hercules is a Rotti/Shephard X. He is 3. So you think his 'depression' is a sign that he is in a lot of pain? (BTW- He IS letting me wash the wound area with the antibacterial soap even though it is very red and raw looking ) I dont know if it's soreness or itchiness that's causing his discomfort GAWD I WISH HE COULD TALK!!
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Rottie owner and lover

put it this way Harleys toe was amputated, and he let me do whatever to it....But you can see in his eyes he was in alot of pain....I would have him rechecked possible infection...
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Another behaviour which concerns me that I forgot to mention is that Herc keeps looking up, as if something is there, and there isn't!! Sometimes he will snap at the air as if there is a fly, even though there isn't.

I will certainly call the vet today to let them know how he is and see what they say.
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Give the vet a phone call, phone calls themselves are free and describe his wound, maybe even ask if you can bring him in for a quick peek just to make sure it looks okay, especially being there is a holiday weekend coming up, there could be some debris in the wound that is causing it to swell and even with him on antibiotics, infection can still occur if that is the case. My vet does charge anything to take a look just to see if the would is healing okay and in one case I was very lucky I did this, it was christmas eve's day, and the vet took one look and decided to stay late to operate, had I waited the dog would have likely died
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM
-

Sorry to hear about Herc.:sad: Surprised, though, to hear that a coyote would attack a Rottie/Shephard. How many were there? Let us know what the vet says.
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Boss-lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottimom
Another behaviour which concerns me that I forgot to mention is that Herc keeps looking up, as if something is there, and there isn't!! Sometimes he will snap at the air as if there is a fly, even though there isn't.

I will certainly call the vet today to let them know how he is and see what they say.
That behaviour sounds familiar...I think it was mentioned in a thread and it's something border collies do. Anyone know what I mean?

for Herc. Hope he feels better soon.

I found the behaviour mention. It's called flycatching, and it can be from boredom, among other things. Maybe for Herc it is a stress-related behaviour due to the pain and discomfort. Definitely mention it to the vet, though. Better to know for sure.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad

Last edited by Skryker; April 12th, 2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
Sorry to hear about Herc.:sad: Surprised, though, to hear that a coyote would attack a Rottie/Shephard. How many were there? Let us know what the vet says.
We see coyotes here every day . . . . from our hilltop, we've seen a gang of five coyotes lure a farm dog into a classic trap right in the barnyard in the valley. Fortunately, his farm dog buddies bailed him out.

Dogs that wander or chase coyotes don't last long . . . . a dog will surprise them the first time or two but then they'll figure it out and lay a trap. They'll also try to lure the dog away from the homestead by first running like they're scared and then turning.

I guess the good news is that Herc isn't going to chase coyotes as he's clearly very scared of them . . . . that will save him.

The fence is a great idea and it will help Herc get his confidence back.

Abby and Keeper have their four acres fenced and coyotes don't come inside even though Abby and Keeper see them pretty much every day trotting across the field. I've caught Abby and Keeper sniffing noses with coyotes through the fence and last year coyotes left Keeper gasping, dehydrated and almost comotose baiting her just on the other side of the fence. I had to carry her back up to the house.

Le Wily Coyote picture . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/09230139_edited-1.jpg

Our fence . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/06850021_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I was wondering

RottiMom, I was just wondering when I logged in if there had been any updates on Herc and the coyotes. I don't get on much lately. So sorry to hear he is being bothered by them so regularly. I think the fence is great. Poor Herc. We have coyotes too, but they don't even look at us when I'm out with my two girls. Lucky for me. They are clever to say the least. that Herc heals up soon and relaxes some. I would definitely have him back for a quick check before the long weekend. Emergency clinics are more expensive and the stress level for you and Herc would be excruciating. Maybe they can give him something to help relax him a bit too and deal with the pain. He just sounds so stressed out. I agree I don't think it's the losing the fight issue, just the attack could do it to him. It did with my girl when she was attacked by a shep. Good luck to you both, try not to stress yourself either RottiMom, not good for you or baby.
Old April 12th, 2006, 05:29 PM
-

Quote:
We see coyotes here every day . . . . from our hilltop, we've seen a gang of five coyotes lure a farm dog into a classic trap right in the barnyard in the valley. Fortunately, his farm dog buddies bailed him out.
We have lots of coyotes where I live as well but they have never attacked any of the larger dogs around here. It`s the small dogs and cats that they go after. My cats are only allowed out between 8:00am and 3:00pm and our yard is fenced for the dogs (both large).
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
get an akita! grrrr coyotes would be suicidal to corner one... they would be dead in minutes. OK i know this is not feasible and i hope the fence will solve the problem... poor doggie!

A couple-three coyotes would challenge pretty much any dog, even an Akita.

They're tough, fast, and mean!!!
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

This thread has me freaked out, i didnt realize that coyotes would attack dogs, we live in a VERY rural area polluted with coyotes and wolves, they are around all the time (chickens and rabbits) but luckily in the 4.5 years i have been here nothing has happened. Im sorry if im thread jacking but i am quite concerned of this. My Border Collie is my "stock dog" and usually stays in the barn with the chickens(to keep the foxes away) how worried should i be since there are alot of coyotes here too?
And i hope Herc is doing better and that the fence helps you out as well.:sad:
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:05 AM

Just wanted to report in that after several days of totally NOT being himself, Herc sprang to life tonight! He ate, actually asked to go outside twice, ran around the house and brought us his tennis ball to play. I cried with relief, he has been SO out of sorts - It had me totally freaked out! I know his physical wounds will heal, but for his entire demeanor and personality to disappear for a few days had me a nervous wreck! Hopefully he is on the road to recovery and the worst is behind us.
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:12 AM

Erykah - I was also shocked the first time the coyotes actually attacked Herc since he is so big, it just didnt make sense to me that they would be so brave...... but they are very clever and work as a team together. They are going for his underside- his most vulnerable place- and I am terrified to think what they would have done to him had they gotten him off his feet. That's how they kill large prey like deer I guess. I would like to get about 3 more rottweilers and see how brave they are then when its a more even match
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Are his Parvo boosters up to date? I have heard coyotes can have Parvo more so than rabies. My mom said in Arizona they recommend extra boosters due to the coyotes. Scary thought...and I have seen those coyotes in broad daylight "cruising" her neighborhood!
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
This thread has me freaked out, i didnt realize that coyotes would attack dogs...
Yeah, I'm a little freaked out too. I always thought that coyotes would only attack domestic animals when their "natural" prey source has dried up or their habitat is being eaten up. Attacking a large dog, even if there are a few of coyotes, puts them at risk of injury, and predators aren't known for taking risks like that unless they're desperate (that's why they prefer to attack the old/sick/young). I've also heard - don't know the precise term for it - about a "prey/predator" cycle, where you'll have a period where the prey greatly outnumber the predators and the next cycle where the predators outnumber the prey. Maybe we're currently in the latter cycle so the coyotes are finding food hard to come by? Glad to hear that Herc is acting more like his normal self, though!
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Very scary, I live down here in the suburbs, and the thought of coyotes and wolves at your back door is very scary. We do however live near Washington DC and we have politicians and they are almost as scary.
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:12 AM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
we live in a VERY rural area polluted with coyotes and wolves
I agree that it is awful when coyotes or wolves, or any other wild creature injures our beloved pets.

But I have a slight problem with the idea that any area is 'polluted' with any wild animal. We have to remember that we moved into their homes and if we want to live peacefully with them it is up to us to take the proper precautions to safe gaurd our pets.
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melei'sMom
I agree that it is awful when coyotes or wolves, or any other wild creature injures our beloved pets.

But I have a slight problem with the idea that any area is 'polluted' with any wild animal. We have to remember that we moved into their homes and if we want to live peacefully with them it is up to us to take the proper precautions to safe gaurd our pets.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with that logic. Canada is a vast vast vast vast vast vast space. The threat can be moved or be encouraged to move.

We're animals too
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:55 AM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

I never said you have to agree

the world would be a very boring place if we all agreed about everything. I guess I should have started that post with IMO.

So...IMO...
I do agree that there is tons of space for us all, but humans do tend to forget that sometimes and are ever expanding our territory to the detriment of theirs.

and I think I just jacked a thread so I am so sorry about that and I am sending lots of to Herc for a quick recovery and to you for putting up a fence to protect him.
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Actually, the guy at Animal Contol told me that contrary to popular belief, wildlife numbers are not up in our areas because we are moving more and more into theirs; rather, the numbers are up because of the mild winters we've been having. He said all numbers are up including rabbits, foxes, deer, coyotes, etc.

Not that it excuses us putting real estate up in every possible square inch of land, but its what he said.

Our fence is halfway up. Last night about 2 am Herc went wild at the window. Sure enough there was a big black shadow right up at the fence posts sniffing around. Herc wanted out and at him so bad, so I guess he has not been traumatized by them too badly.
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Boss-lady!

Good for Herc! Guess he just needed time to nurse his wounds a bit. I'm glad he's feeling so much better!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:43 PM
-

Glad to hear Herc is feeling better. Also, glad the fence is almost finished...that should make a big difference.
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I too was a little taken aback by,'we live in a rural area"polluted"by wolves and coyotes',I believe you can expect wildlife if you are lucky enough to live in the country and take the proper precautions with your pets,fencing etc..
We live in a very populated area and I've seen coyotes even around here.

Rottimom,I am glad Herc is getting better,it must have been a terrifying experience for both you and him,I hope the fence is high enough so neither Herc or the Coyotes can get over it.
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Happy dance for Herc

So glad to hear Herc is doing better and back to himself. It's a terrible thing when their whole demeanor changes on them. How tall is the fence going to be? I don't know how high coyotes jump, but my dogs can go pretty high! No matter, it will definitely help. They may not want to come in if they think they may get trapped in there with Herc.