Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old June 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Half Way To Crazy

FireFox vs Internet Explorer

my question is why does FireFox work better than internet explore??

Why is it so much faster??

does it work any better if it the default browser??

how do you do that after it is installed??

Last edited by breeze; June 5th, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I use Firefox and I find it easier and a lot better. Not as many pop ups as IE. IE is subject to a lot of issues because many hackers target microsoft.

I also love the tabs, which IE has now adapted into their system too. You can switch all of your bookmarks to Firefox too. And it has a lot of add-ons. If you use blogs, I use live journal, it has an add on making it easier for you to post websites use italics and bold and things like that. And you can also look for interesting themes. But the add ons are one of the neat things.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I use Firefox and I find it easier and a lot better. Not as many pop ups as IE. IE is subject to a lot of issues because many hackers target microsoft.

I also love the tabs, which IE has now adapted into their system too. You can switch all of your bookmarks to Firefox too. And it has a lot of add-ons. If you use blogs, I use live journal, it has an add on making it easier for you to post websites use italics and bold and things like that. And you can also look for interesting themes. But the add ons are one of the neat things.
i know about most of it.. (don't like the tabs....spent most of the day yesterday playing around with it.. but I did not put it as my default browser...
how do you do that now after I installed it..??
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Swift Tribe

You would normally set a default browser using the the options or preference settings within the web browser. For example,

* Firefox 1.5: " "Tools -> Options -> General -> Default Browser -> Check Now"
* Firefox 2: " Tools -> Options -> Main / System Defaults -> (checkmark) Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup -> Check Now"
* Firefox 3: " Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General / System Defaults -> (checkmark) Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup -> Check Now"
* Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey 1.x: "Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator -> Set Default Browser"
* SeaMonkey 2: "Edit -> Preferences -> Browser / Default Browser -> Set Default Browser"

Make sure that only one browser is set to check if it is the default. If those settings don't work, try setting another browser as the default browser, then reset Firefox, Mozilla Suite or SeaMonkey as the default. Other suggestions are listed below.

(FYI i just googled that... i havent used windows in years. ) EDIT- cause im a cool Mac user.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)

Last edited by want4rain; June 5th, 2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: gloating
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

If you go to tools, then go to Main, at the bottom it will ask you if you want to check to see if Firefox is your default. It it's not then you can switch it then. Or in the past, I've found that when Firefox wasn't my default, whenever I'd open it, it would ask if I wanted to make it my default.

I have to say, at first I hated Firefox. I'd been so used to using IE, but I love it now. And the tabs are really a wonderful thing. You don't have to keep opening a new browser window to search for stuff or compare stuff, or just to be on several sites at once.

I have a tab with my yahoo mail open, my yahoo main page AND right now I am typing this in another tab. All you have to do is go to the tab you want. Leaving several sites open at the same time is one of the interesting things Firefox does.

The downside, some sites won't accept Firefox as a browser so there are some, very few these days, which make you use IE.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old June 5th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Interesting, I have both loaded but almost always use IE7. I just tried FireFox at the same time. I loaded pets.ca, then this thread and saw no difference at all, in fact my IE7 was slightly faster.

I will keep an eye on this thread, curious to see what others find out.

Diane
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to take back what I said in my last post - I just tested two of my other links I use often that seem a bit sluggish on IE7 - they opened much quicker on firefox.

So, I stand in amazement and would love to hear why Firefox is much faster. I may change this to default browser in the near future.

Diane
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Swift Tribe

Chris says "um, *thinking thinking* hmm.... for starters all microsoft applications and OS's have to support backwards compatibility which adds overhead. um.... the way that IE is tied into the OS is meant to be uh.... its meant to be a benefit and make things faster but in reality it probably adds more overhead. um, you know where as Mozilla is a targeted application for internet browsing and it can be optimized as such."

he also went on to say that he hasnt noticed any difference between IE and FF loading web pages. we havent had a PC running in a LONG time but we use to use FF on that for security holes, being tied into the OS and all that. we use FF NOW cause we have a Mac and it helps things to run smoothly on the net. i like Safari better but FF works great too.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Half Way To Crazy

ancientgirl just to let you know, it doesn't have what you said.. I checked..
are you running vista??
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Half Way To Crazy

never mind found it.. all is good..
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Contributor

ah cool. I'm running Vista, and it's not as bad as some people say it is. Yeah it's a bit of a pain if I want to download something, like a program or whatever, but nothing really bad.

Old June 5th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont know all the techie stuff but firefox runs better for me. Less "Ie has an encountered an error and must close". Rarely ever does firefox ever close on me and when it does you can opt to restore session and go back to the exact same page u were on
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Still testing here.....FF won't load the video so far for the eagles on http://wavelit.com/index.php?view=EaglesNestLive

Maybe I am too new at FF to know what needs to be done.

Diane
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Sometimes you have to load some media software. When I first started using FF I had to allow downloading some files to allow me to see some videos.

Onster, I love that restore session option.

Old June 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc123 View Post
Still testing here.....FF won't load the video so far for the eagles on http://wavelit.com/index.php?view=EaglesNestLive

Maybe I am too new at FF to know what needs to be done.

Diane
yep, gotta download plug-ins for it. it should prompt you for it though. a puzzle piece will pop up where the video should be and it will tell you that you need a plug-in, click here to down load it.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Half Way To Crazy

dmc123

I couldn't either until a mintue ago..

this is what you do...

click on the video
it will say download plug in..click on it
it will then probably say nothing was installed..click on manuel download..

it will bring you to another page..
close everything else.. and click on it at the top where it says download plug-in something like that....
it will then say what do you want to do I saved it into a file that I created.. once you downloaded it.. then you must find where you saved it to.. click on it and it will install..

then you can see the video..

there might be an easer way but I don't know what it is yet..
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:23 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I build the dogs' newsletter in Microsoft Publisher (lets me do a print version and a web version from the same file). Unfortunately, it's not really browsable in FF--none of the pictures come across due to the nature of MS Publisher. So where programs like Publisher are being used to build sites, FF won't be able to fully image them... Not sure if you'd consider that a MS problem or a FF problem But it's darn tootin' hazel's problem!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Hazel I did not get rid of IE so when you publish the news letter I will still be able to read it..
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Swift Tribe

just FYI, you cant get rid of IE.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
just FYI, you cant get rid of IE.

-ashley
yes I know I just wanted to tell hazel that I still can read her newsletter.. so maybe she will publish another one soon..
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
yes I know I just wanted to tell hazel that I still can read her newsletter.. so maybe she will publish another one soon..
I'm working on it, though the puppy seems to have turned into a toad for this issue

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm working on it, though the puppy seems to have turned into a toad for this issue

now hazel did one of your incantations go wrong ??
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:31 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
now hazel did one of your incantations go wrong ??
methinks it must be madame hazel's fault...her crystal ball needs some maintenance...

Old June 6th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
methinks it must be madame hazel's fault...her crystal ball needs some maintenance...

Old June 6th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Young at Heart

Because of this thread I downloaded Firefox to have a look - and I'm impressed with it! It is much faster than IE. I'll keep trying it out but it looks like I'll be switching to FF as my default browser too...

Thanks!
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Kitty pimp

a lot of times it depends on your operating system mac or windows or w ever and also the Isp folks page loading should be pretty much the same and that depends usually on you isp speed and how well your cpu is running
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Half Way To Crazy

jim I have windows and high speed.. IE has been giving me problems..it's a new computer.. (about 1 year old) I too downloaded it cause I was curious it is much much faster, and I like it alot.. seems to work better than IE
Old June 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
dmc123

I couldn't either until a mintue ago..

this is what you do...

click on the video
it will say download plug in..click on it
it will then probably say nothing was installed..click on manuel download..

it will bring you to another page..
close everything else.. and click on it at the top where it says download plug-in something like that....
it will then say what do you want to do I saved it into a file that I created.. once you downloaded it.. then you must find where you saved it to.. click on it and it will install..

then you can see the video..

there might be an easer way but I don't know what it is yet..

Hmmm...I just opened it again, there is no video in there to click on. Nothing.

New observation, IE7 openes much quicker to my home page than FF does, but FF new pages are still much faster to open.

Diane
Old June 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I have it showing on FF now. I was using http://wavelit.com/index.php?view=EaglesNestLive, with no video, and just below where the video should be was another link. It works great. It was http://wavelit.com/index.php?view=EagleNestLive1.

Still didn't offer me any type of download, but it works well.

Diane
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:18 PM

Question Ff3

Are people using the latest version of FireFox ?

I haven't upgraded yet - just got used to the old version lol

Any problems / advantages in the new one?