Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 21st, 2003, 05:17 PM

geriatric dog has stopped eating

Hello, I am new to this forum, but would like to ask for some help with this. My 14 year old spayed sheltie-cross has stopped eating. It has been going on for about 2 days- can't see the vet until MOnday.

She seems otherwise healthy- wants to play, go for walks, and is drinking just fine. I recently had the vet give her a hormone shot to prevent incontinence- she has had several over the last 3 years with no ill effect, but I can't help but wonder if there is a connection.

Has anyone had this happen before? How did you get the dog to start eating again? Is this the beginning of the end?
Old February 21st, 2003, 08:54 PM

Is there a emergency vet clinic in your area? I would be very concerned if she hasn't ate in todays.... Monday would be too long for a dog of this age, that would be five days with out eating. I would monitor her very closely if she is eating literally nothing I would get to the vet sooner than monday.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:15 AM

There is an emergency place nearby, and I was seriously thinking about going today. I did get the dog to eat a small amount of food this morning- if she eats tonight I'll feel ok about waiting.

I did not mention that I recently had surgery on my foot, and am unable to move much. I use crutches when I do move, and it has both my dogs weirded out. I'm thinking it might have something to do with this- the dog has gotten depressed in the past when I have changed our routine for whatever reason, although she has never stopped eating.

Thanks for your response.