Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 30th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Question Ethoxyquin free dog foods?

Hi, all -

My husband convinced me to buy Eagle Pack Holistic Duck and Oatmeal for our 12-1/2 chow/pitbull boy. He has been eating Wellness Chicken Super 5 mix but was getting bored with it. I did further checking on their websites AFTER I bought the food . Wellness proudly declares they do not use ethoxyquin in their products; Eagle Pack says nothing. I also found out that the dog food manufacturers don't have to list it as an ingredient if the meat manufacturers add it beforehand. Say "deceptive." Is there a list somewhere of the brands that use ethoxyquin? I found out Hills does (he was on that years ago to lose weight). I don't want to make that mistake again. Thanks for any help.
Old December 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Well, we learned that Solid Gold makes sure their foods don't have it last week.

I think it's a case by case basis... Have to email around...
Old December 30th, 2006, 05:36 PM
-

I agree. If they don't have to list it as an ingredient if they don't add it to the dog food the only way of knowing for sure is to email them and ask specifically.
Old December 30th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Thanks! I'll e-mail Eagle Pack and ask directly. Happy New Year everyone!
Old December 31st, 2006, 01:04 PM

Be careful how you word things...

"Do you use ethoxyquin to preserve your fish?"
No.

"Is ethoxyquin ever used in the processing of the fish you use in your foods? Do you ever test for its presence to be sure?"
Old January 1st, 2007, 12:29 PM

Does anyone know if Orijen contains ethoxyquin?

I e-mailed the company about it, but got no response.
Old January 1st, 2007, 01:59 PM
-

Peter is usually very good about replying to emails. How long ago did email him?
Old January 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM

I sent the email to petfood@championpetfoods.com on October 15.

Last edited by ILoveMutts!; January 1st, 2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old January 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Be careful how you word things...

"Do you use ethoxyquin to preserve your fish?"
No.

"Is ethoxyquin ever used in the processing of the fish you use in your foods? Do you ever test for its presence to be sure?"
And ask to see the tests to verify them.
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM
owned by Amber

I know canidae doesn't. It tests its ingredients for ethoxyquin for use. Here is a quote from thier page involving each of their ingredients individually:

Chicken & Turkey Meal – (Human Grade)
Hormone free, antibiotic free and ethoxyquin free. Human quality meat, flesh tissue and skin only.

Lamb Meal – (Human Grade)
Finest American lamb, hormone free, antibiotic free and ethoxyquin free. Human quality meat.

Herring Meal – (F.D.A. Inspected), (Omega 3)
Meats have been tested to have No Ethoxyquin Residual.

Brown Rice – (U.S.D.A. Grade #1)
Rice has been tested to have no pesticide residual; contains a generous supply of B vitamins, plus calcium, phosphorus, and iron.

White Rice – (U.S.D.A. Grade #1)
Rice has been tested to have no pesticide residual; also nutritious, and of all grains, Rice is the most easily digested and least likely to cause allergic reactions. Rice helps clear up psoriasis and has anticancer and antidiarrheal properties. Rice helps to lower cholesterol and may also help to prevent kidney stones.

Chicken Fat – (Omega 6), (Human Grade)
Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols and ascorbic acid.

Sunflower Oil – (Omega 6)
Cold pressed, naturally preserved, Rich in linoleic acid and is known for producing a beautiful skin and coat, as well as visible sheen.

Omega-6 & Omega-3 Fatty Acids – (5:1 Ratio)
With balanced Omega's we can improve the coat and help to avoid hot spots, hair loss and allergy problems caused from flea bites, repeated licking and from a fat imbalance.

Eggs
An excellent source of protein and contains all the essential Amino Acids.

Flaxseed Meal – (Omega 3)
Aids in the movement of food through the digestive tract. Flax nourishes and is soothing to the stomach and intestinal linings. This plant source of Omega-3 fatty acids helps enhance the coat’s sheen.

Linoleic Acid – (Omega 6)
Essential fatty acid for healthy skin and coat.

Lecithin
Is used in the digestion and absorption of fats.

Alfalfa
Aids in healing allergies, stomach ailments and bad breath; cleanses the kidneys and removes poisons from the body; neutralizes acids; is an excellent blood purifier; improves the appetite and aids in the assimilation of protein, calcium and other nutrients.

Sage
Strengthens the mind and concentrating abilities; it aids in healing skin sores and skin eruptions and removing dandruff. It has been mostly employed in disordered states of the digestion and for its savory usage.

Rosemary
Is a stimulant of the circulatory system; to treat bad breath; stimulates the hair bulbs to new growth. Employed for its savory usage.

Cranberries
Prevents the spread of bacterial infections in kidneys and the urinary tract. Helps prevent Cystitis.

Apples
Rich in soluble fiber, helps lower blood cholesterol levels and normalizes blood sugar.

Amaranth
Vitamin packed herb, calms the stomach, reduces
tissue swelling, removes worms and parasites from the digestive tract.

Kelp
Rich in vitamins and contains 30 minerals, controls the thyroid and regulates the metabolism which aids in the digestion of foods and the burning of calories. Kelp aids with improved brain and nerve functions.

Taurine
An amino acid derivative found in meat that shields the heart from harm. Studies also show that Taurine may also benefit vision disorders, epilepsy, and gallstones. Plays an important part as a neurotransmitter, maintains the correct composition of bile and the solubility of cholesterol.

Yucca Schidigera Extract
Used for its reduction of both breath and stool odor! A cleansing agent. Used by the Indians of the southwest for skin disorders, skin eruptions and helps avoid inflammation.

Psyllium
All natural fiber intake to help in digestion, improve intestinal health and effective in reducing cholesterol. Also known as an anticarcinogenic.

Glucosamine
An amino acid sugar necessary for construction of connective tissue and healthy cartilage. Benefits include prevention of arthritis and improved joint health.

Chondroitin
Exist naturally in cartilage. When combined with Glucosamine it is known to produce a synergetic effect in helping prevent arthritis and improving joint health.

Prebiotics
Inulin (from chicory root), Fructooligosaccharide (FOS) / Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Mannan-Oligosaccharide (MOS) - Stimulates the growth of friendly and healthy bacteria. Benefits Include: Helping to prevent cancers and have antimicrobial activity. Prebiotics may further help in lowering triglycerides, stabilizing blood glucose levels, boosting the immune system and helping to improve mineral absorption and rid the gut of harmful microorganisms.

Probiotics
Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Products - Aid in the maintenance of the healthy balance of intestinal flora. Benefits Include: Improved Digestion, Lower Cholesterol Levels, Strengthened Immune Systems and help Correct Digestive Disorders. Probiotics also aid in helping to prevent ulcers, inflammatory bowel diseases, lactose intolerance, yeast infections and colon cancer.

Digestive Enzymes
Aspergillus Oryzae, Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extracts, Papaya (containing the enzyme Papain), Pineapple (containing the enzyme Bromilian) – Hydrolyzes proteins, fats, oils, starches and carbohydrates for better digestion and absorption of nutrients.

Cellulase
Digestive enzyme that hydrolyzes fiber for better digestion and absorption of nutrients. Canidae Pet Foods is once again the leader in cutting edge nutrition by being the first pet food manufacturer to include proven enzymatic activity in our products backed by scientific data and proven methodology on the inclusion of Cellulase.

Saccharomyces Cerevisiae
All natural live culture. Acts in stimulating microbial and enzyme populations in the animal’s digestive system. This improves feeding efficiency and digestion.

Vitamins
Complete Vitamins including Antioxidants, Vitamin A, Beta Carotene, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Alpha Tocopherols.

Minerals
Complete balanced minerals containing Amino Acid Chelated Minerals. When Amino Acids are bound to minerals they produce Chelated Minerals, which can be attributed to 3 to 10 time better assimilation of minerals.

The price of living is living in eternal pain.
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM
-

I received a reply from Innova:

Dear pet lover,

Thank you for contacting us about our products. We routinely utilize laboratory testing to ensure our raw ingredients suppliers are not using preservatives like BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin.

Natura products are naturally preserved with vitamin E and vitamin C.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any additional information or if you have any questions.

Veronica Moreno
Natura Pet Products
800-532-7261
Old January 8th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I heard from Eagle Pack this morning, and I was very glad to find out they do not use ethoxyquin in any of their products or processes and have the quality control to back it up. Thanks to Prin and Rainbow for the suggestion. I feel much better about feeding him Eagle Pack now.
Old January 8th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Good to know.
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooie View Post
I heard from Eagle Pack this morning, and I was very glad to find out they do not use ethoxyquin in any of their products or processes and have the quality control to back it up. Thanks to Prin and Rainbow for the suggestion. I feel much better about feeding him Eagle Pack now.
Thanks for posting to let us know.
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Jr.DogOwner

how about timberwolf? TIA
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a thread somewhere here about that,i emailed solid gold and they DO NOT buy products from comapnys that use it,i will try and find
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Our policy is to not use suppliers who use ethoxyquin, BHA or BHT to preserve the raw ingredients. The preservative we use is called Naturox and is the only such natural preservative approved by the Coast Guard. It is a blend of natural tocopherols and herbs. We test our food periodically to make sure that they are following the standards which we put forth for making the food and to ensure that there is no ethoxyquin in the food.

Best regards,

Solid Gold