Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 13th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Pamela Anderson not happy with Canada's new aquarium

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Pamela...arium/36496147

Pamela Anderson has blasted Canada’s new top aquarium attraction, insisting it is cruel to keep marine animals in glass tanks for public exhibition.

The Canadian star insists she won’t be visiting Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada when it opens in Toronto next year.

The animal-loving former “Baywatch” star tells GlobalToronto.com, “It’s clear to me that marine parks, including the Toronto aquarium, are in no way educational.

“Confining marine animals to tanks and separating them from their families and their natural surroundings, just so people can watch them swim in endless circles, teaches us far more about humans than it does about animals – and the lesson is not a flattering one.”
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 13th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Honestly - anything that keeps her out of town is a good thing.

While one can go on and on about the cruelty of zoos and aquariums - the simple fact is that people tend to connect more closely with things that they can actually see with their own eyes and not just on television. The majesty of a tiger is just so much "more" when you watch them in a zoo than when you watch a show on National Geographic. In this day and age, when technology is so advanced that we can see anything on our computer screens, it takes something away from the actual living, breathing creatures. Seeing them "up close and personal" in a zoo or an aquarium gives us more reason to care and shows us the importance of protecting the lands or oceans that they are native to.

At the rate that humans are abusing this planet, it is perfectly conceivable that in the not too distant future, the only place we will be able to see some of these species of animals will be in a zoo or aquarium.
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

hmmm I must disagree with you on this one LR.

People connect with all kinds of things that they see in person for their own amusement/entertainment.
2 that come to mind real fast are bullfighting (considered as an ART by millions of people - many of them highly educated) dogfighting.... These too are artificial environments invented purely to entertain some people.

Imprisoning these animals for life for our own entertainment......Personally, I find her point is very well articulated and I completely agree with it.

I despise most zoos and aquaria.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Imprisoning these animals for life for our own entertainment......Personally, I find her point is very well articulated and I completely agree with it.

I despise most zoos and aquaria.
I completely agree!
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Honestly - anything that keeps her out of town is a good thing.

While one can go on and on about the cruelty of zoos and aquariums - the simple fact is that people tend to connect more closely with things that they can actually see with their own eyes and not just on television. The majesty of a tiger is just so much "more" when you watch them in a zoo than when you watch a show on National Geographic. In this day and age, when technology is so advanced that we can see anything on our computer screens, it takes something away from the actual living, breathing creatures. Seeing them "up close and personal" in a zoo or an aquarium gives us more reason to care and shows us the importance of protecting the lands or oceans that they are native to.

At the rate that humans are abusing this planet, it is perfectly conceivable that in the not too distant future, the only place we will be able to see some of these species of animals will be in a zoo or aquarium.
I never really been a fan of Pamela , but now I would happy to have her come to my city. I am with her 100%! I will not go on whale watches as the boat will go right into a whale birthing ground and I feel that is wrong . It also make it difficult to feed on fish as boat get in the whale way. I live on the coast line and I can tell you having wild life in a tank of water does not make people more concern about the ocean. When I took my last dog to the beach I would bring extra bags to pick up the trash people leave behind or throw off their boats. I would go there at least 3 x a week and each time I had two bags filled with trash. New England Aquarium is about a 45 minutes drive from where I live , and people still treat the ocean as bottomless dump yard! No wild animal belong in a cage.