Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Im really Scared :(

As some of you know keely is a picky eater. Well mom and I took her to the vet earlier today to get some tests done because she hasnt been eating ANYTHING in the past few days. ANd her poops are weird. After reading Otters story Im very scared They did a bunch of tests and she was weighed. And she has lost weight! 5 oz seems alot to lose in a 7 lb dog in my opinion. Im just hopinh that there isnt anything wring with her and she`ll come around soon. I emailed her breeder like i do whenever i think something maybe wrong and she is heartbroken just thinking that something may be wrong with her. Im just hoping and praying now. I know its a yorkie thing to be a picky eater. But she wont even eat raw or canned now. I tried it out last night in hopes she would eat. But she wouldnt even touch it. As you know, Im a huge worry wart so i get scared over everylittle thing I feel helpless. Should get the test results tomorrow.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old December 30th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Earlier this year Rocky stopped eating for six days!!! Nothing would tempt him.. the vet put him on antibiotics..and eventually he was fine.. it was some sort of doggy flu! I have heard this from many people this year.. so hopefully thats all that is wrong with your baby too!
Old December 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Kitty pimp

so there ya go a visit to the vet and some tests her energy still good ? maybe too many goodies

dr liza gets that all the time after holidays doggie gets human food then doesnt want his

hoping for the best
Old December 30th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

All our fingers, toes and paws crossed that Keely is just fine, just having an "off" moment.

Try not to worry too much... she could sense your stress and that can add to inappetance too (that's the fancy vet word when they don't want to eat ), we have trouble with that here . Anyways, LOTS of things can get them off their food for a bit, many of them no big deal at all.

I sure hope the vet can tell you something tomorrow, not knowing is often the worst part :sad:

for you and Keely
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrocky1 View Post
I have heard this from many people this year..
babyrocky1 is right BM , it happens here too once in a while. With Bailey and Nelly. Don't panic until you get the results back ok ? Maybe she only has a stomach upset.
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is she acting normally otherwise, babymomma? Playing, drinking, pooping, peeing?

Tomorrow you'll have the results of the tests back and have a better idea of what's going on.

Meanwhile, , and 32 crossed s for good test results and quick resolution to whatever is going on!

You be a good girl, Keely, and stop worrying your mommy!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys. BUt now im really scared, She just threw up.. Twice. My mom is even starting to get really worried. And she doesnt ussually worry about stuff to much until Its a for sure kinda thing..
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Is she acting normally otherwise, babymomma? Playing, drinking, pooping, peeing?

Tomorrow you'll have the results of the tests back and have a better idea of what's going on.

Meanwhile, , and 32 crossed s for good test results and quick resolution to whatever is going on!

You be a good girl, Keely, and stop worrying your mommy!
Thanks Hazel.. She has been sleeping more then ussual. She plays for a few minutes and wants to go straight to sleep for a few hours. She has been sleeping almost all day.. :sad:
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Late autumn/early winter is always a bad time around here for intestinal bugs around here. Did you have a fecal examination done, too?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Late autumn/early winter is always a bad time around here for intestinal bugs around here. Did you have a fecal examination done, too?
Yea we did. I dont understand why we couldnt have ANY results back.. I mean how long does it accually take? Arrrrggghhh

I feel soo bad for the poor girl. She MUST be hungry. Oh forgot to tell you all, She ate a LITTLE this evening, but that is what she puked back up.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:06 PM
-

Other than the puking , how is she feeling ?
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Other than the puking , how is she feeling ?
Tired. She has been having weird poops too. They are firm but not 'right". Very small poops and weird looking. And she seems to be having trouble pooping as well. She does still be playfull. Just not as energetic about it.

What I really didnt like about today was that I didnt have my normal vet:sad: My vet and I are accually friends now and Its like she understands me even when im kinda not making any sense..lol. I do not lke the new one at all.

But hey, I guess vets need a vacation too..
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Resting her intestines is a good thing at this point. Something has them riled up.

They may be testing for campyllobacter or coccidia. Clostridium they likely would have seen right away. The three 'C's are the major culprits here, although giardia wouldn't be out of the question here, either

Did she have a lot of mucous in her stool, babymomma? Any blood? Any diarrhea?

Old December 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM
-

Her stools might not look good but look at it this way , at least she's pooping , that means she doesn't have a blockage.
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, I just saw the "firm but not 'right' " comment...

No mucous and no blood is good.

And the fact that she's poopin' at all means there's probably no blockage.

She's young, she's been pretty healthy. she just has a touch of the flu!

Old December 30th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Did she have a lot of mucous in her stool, babymomma? Any blood? Any diarrhea?
No, But her stools look kinda lumpy? If that makes any sense? Instead of looking smooth they look bumpy? I dont even think i am making sense anymore?!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM
-

BM , it really sounds like upset stomach , flu .... try to not worry so much , wait for tomorrow's results.
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
No, But her stools look kinda lumpy? If that makes any sense? Instead of looking smooth they look bumpy? I dont even think i am making sense anymore?!
This time of year our dogs are always eating sticks and acorns. Their stools get really lumpy looking. This sounds yucky, but if you use a sandwich bag and pick it up, you can squeeze it to see what's in it. We can feel the sticks and acorns as they come out. And they very often get tummy upsets when they eat the sticks (from the roughness) and acorns (from the burst of energy they get when the acorn nut is digested). In either case, the organisms that live in the intestine can get out of whack and cause intestinal and/or tummy upset. Maybe that's all it is with Keely.

Is she still throwing up or has that stopped? Make sure she drinks water so she doesn't dehydrate. If you don't think she's getting enough out of her bowl, offer her ice chips. Some dogs can't resist the crunch.

Old December 30th, 2008, 11:04 PM
-

Has she been eating any snow at all? That can also cause a tummy upset.

Good luck with Keely's test results.
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:17 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Please don't panic. It sounds like her belly is in an uproar. She is adr. The fecal test would be immediate and they would tell you. She may just be sleeping a lot because of a little discomfort, less movement, less pain.. The smooth then "lumpy" stools may be due to a little constipation and that can wreck havoc on her intestines too. Give a little more time for the results to come in.
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:22 AM

I'm sorry Keely isn't feeling well

She could be having a hard time pooping right now because she hasn't had much to each, if she isn't drinking enough water that will also make it hard for her to go. Having not eaten her usual amount of food for a few days will result in unusually small poops. The lumps could also be bits of food that wasn't digested enough.

What colour is her poop? It is the same colour it normally is?

Vomiting is not unusual after a couple of days of not eating enough/properly, it's her stomach reacting to being empty then having something in it all of a sudden. If she will eat give her small amounts over a couple hours even if she still wants more. If you give her too much she'll bring it back up. Nausea will also cause her to not want to eat or vomit what she's just eaten, again small portions over a couple of hours.

for the test results

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Good news Keelys tests came back and she is a very healthy girl. With a touch of food poisoning (As I call it) .. Mom fed her for me the other day and used OLD food that i didnt even know was in the fridge!!!! Vet made us back track everything we'd fed her in the past week, that we knew about. And Mom says that she fed her the wet food in the fridge. I look at her and say " Mom, we dont have wet food, I switched her to dry almost 3 weeks ago now." Mom- "Well there was some canned food in the fridge the other day and i gave it to her". How in the world would you miss something that has been left in the fridge for over three weeks? It was obviously gross and upset her stomache.

So reasoning for not eating -Upset tummy
Reason for getting sick after she did eat- She hadnt eaten in a while and food hurt her belly, therefor, she threw it back up.

Reason for small poops- lack of food and nutrition.

reason for me going out of my mind- 1 Very uneducated mother!

I feel like such an ass. lol.. Am i allowed to say ass on here?

Worrying you all like that, over what was essentially nothing (Could have been much much much worse ).. Mom no longer gets to feed her.

Oh, she ate fine this morning but threw it all up again a little later. So vet suggested giving her baked potato for the next few days as her meals ( I know it isnt great in the nutrition department, but she managed to keep it down and wanted more) After she ate her potato, a few short minutes after and she had SOO much energy. Its amazing how a few carbs in the belly can get her back on her feeet. She just wants to GO GO GO now, but i cant let her yet, afraid her belly is still bad.

Thanks for all the prayers. Seems like some of the theories were right And i couldnt be happier.

Seriously though, I feel like a ass. lol
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I just saw this thread, so I was so glad I got to find out the good news right away. I understand how worried you get when a tiny dog doesn't eat. Little ones can go downhill so rapidly if they don't eat. Glad it turned out well! Help your mom clean out that fridge! If in doubt, throw it out!
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:10 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

BM i'm so glad to here keely is ok and on the mend, you might wanna give her some plain yogurt too to calm her tummy. Your not an ass you're a good doggie mom, you saw something off and immediately took her to get help.
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass View Post
I just saw this thread, so I was so glad I got to find out the good news right away. I understand how worried you get when a tiny dog doesn't eat. Little ones can go downhill so rapidly if they don't eat. Glad it turned out well! Help your mom clean out that fridge! If in doubt, throw it out!
It is a scary thing :sad: Its accually very weird though, My mom is ussually such a clean freak! She used to clean out the fridge once every week or two Definatly cleaning it out tomorrow morning!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks aslan .. Sometimes I worry that I worry too much though
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM
~Cat Servent~

Sorry to hear Keely hasn't been feeling well, but glad to see that the mystery has been solved! Hope she continues to eat her taters and gets back on track! (and good for you being such a good mom, worrying about your girl... shows how much she's loved! )

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Aw, poor Keely! I'm glad the taters are agreeing with her now, though. She'll be better before you know it!

Old January 1st, 2009, 11:09 PM

Glad to hear Keely is feeling better & everything turned out okay.

When you do feed her the potato & later when she's back to dog food continue to give her small amounts at a time over an hour or so for a few days to let her tummy get used to being full again.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:10 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I'm glad to hear Keely is all right.