Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 27th, 2011, 11:05 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

6+kitties...I understand it all now...

I can only guess that since two of my neighbors dogs have gone to the Bridge and one has moved and Hobo is deaf and blind now there is no more barking to discourage the resident feral kitties. My friends say that there is a "lost pet" underground that sends them my way. They know I can't resist. One way or the other there have been between three and seven ferals on my back deck since Boxing Day. Last weekend during the cold cold cold spell I had to put our carpeting to keep their little paws warm. I have to tread carefully with them though. Ziggy has always been a handful and I can't take a chance of him going crazy over the "outside cats". I do leave them warm water a few times a day and sometimes some Temptations may fall out of my pockets
Attached Images

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!

Last edited by diandpat; January 28th, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:08 PM

During the cold spell they were actually stuck one on the other on about five inches of styrofoam by my pool under my deck...broke my heart

I would adopt the Calico with the symetrical face in a heartbeat...I think she is beautiful.

14+ kitties...I so understand how you ended up where you did!!!!
Attached Images

you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:24 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

OMG! Those poor babies. It kills me to see that. I just want to come get them and bring them home. Are you sure they are all feral? Any chance they are strays? Do you have a no kill or rescue around? How about a t/n/r group that would help with them? Any chance hubby could make a little shelter thing for them so they can get out of the cold wind??
I really feel for you Di. I know how difficult it is to see that.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:28 PM

those poor little kitties at least they have someone as kind and caring as you to give them some water and treats.
your doing a good thing for them
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh the poor kitties.

Could u make a shleter using one of those rubbermaid boxes and insulation that 14+ has?

To heat the water they do sell a bird bath heater so u wouldn't have to be going out with fresh water all day.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old January 28th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is so heartbreaking, diandpat . I hope you find a solution to help them

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:09 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Oh the poor kitties.

Could u make a shleter using one of those rubbermaid boxes and insulation that 14+ has?

To heat the water they do sell a bird bath heater so u wouldn't have to be going out with fresh water all day.
i was thinking pretty much the same thing TQ,,i know Sugarcatmom has a heated birdbath for the strays,maybe she can tell you where to get one.
Old January 28th, 2011, 09:41 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I keep coming back to these pics. Someone has to be feeding them. Look at how well fed they look. Well, the little orange guy doesn't look that big but a few of the black ones do. But it is heartbreaking to see them out in the cold like that. Is there any possibility of even just putting some straw down where the insulation is? At the very least they could huddle there. If they are going to be hanging around anyway ...........
I feel for you Di. I worry so much about my guys and they all have houses to go into when the weather gets too cold for them. And ummm Costco kibble is cheap.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,the orange one looks like a missing kitty here on the forum,all orange no white spots,but of course there must be a lot of orange kittiesThat one went missing in Verdun(sp?)

Seeing those poor cats every day,would kill me
If you could put up a shelter,that would be great,but it looks like you are in a town-house complex..

I understand your problem with Ziggy,Rocky was just like that....so,I fed my"feral"Tux,on the side of the house,also made kind of a shelter,but that was only one cat..
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:05 PM
150% PRO S/N

I agree chico that it might be a long shot. The two places are quite a distance apart I think. It would not be beyond the realm of possibility though for someone to pick Link up and drive him to a different spot to get him out of the area.
I am going to post pics of the two kitties side by side and see what you folks think. Seriously, it's hard to tell. They do look a lot alike. I think Di's is a bit fuller in the face and has darker markings by the eyes. Eye shape is a little different too. Again, if Link is squinting slightly in his pic and Di's is wide eyed from uncertainty it could be the same.
First one is Di's. Second is Link. Link is wearing a collar but it would be pretty easy to take that off.
Attached Images

Old January 28th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's mf,I was trying to figure out how to do that
I can see a difference now,but you never know what a few months outside can do to a kitties appearance.
di's kitty looks like a femalebut you never know.
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:10 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Thank's mf,I was trying to figure out how to do that
I can see a difference now,but you never know what a few months outside can do to a kitties appearance.
di's kitty looks like a femalebut you never know.
I thought the same about Di's looking like a girl. But considering the percentage of orange cats that are male - 97% - the likelihood is slim.

Old January 28th, 2011, 01:53 PM

It is funny because I did think of the "cat on pets" the first time I saw this little one (have not gotten close enough to any of them to distinguish sex!).

If you notice his eyes are goopy black so I have been putting Lysine in the water hoping to help. Then one day they were fine the next goopy again the next they were fine... You guessed it...there are TWO of them who look identical!!!! These are the first red ones that I am aware of in this colony. They are ususally black or tuxedo. My beauty is only the second calico I have seen too.

Judging by sizes they are probably only about nine months old. There are two older (bigger) cats one black one tux who fight like dogs. Then there are about five this age and then two about five months old and two wee kittens. I stare at them so much I am starting to tell them all apart.

All this to say I am sure it is not Link and I hope Link is warm and safe wherever he is.

you to stay" ♥ ♥

Old January 28th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Pet slave.

I made a few shelters for the strays and ferals in my area. I went to my local fish/pet store and asked for a styrofoam fish box (or two...or five). I cut a hole in the longer side and then stuffed the whole thing with straw. Taped the lid in place and wrapped it in a heavy duty garbage bag and taped around that (to protect from the elements/make it a bit more durable). You have to fiddle around a bit where the hole is but it doesn't have to look pretty! It's fairly light so it might be a good idea to weigh it down somehow. I'm planning on posting pictures soon. There are plenty of resources on the web for making cat shelters and feeding stations. Anything to get these poor babies out of the cold!
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:21 PM

Here's a How-To pamphlet for making an over-winter shelter for feral cats:

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/..._shelter-1.pdf
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Diandpat,is there nothing you can do for these cats,the winter has a long way to go yet,some of those cats might even die in the cold.
They are all beautiful to me,poor babies
I still hope this might be the missing kitty,although I have no idea where Verdun is in Quebec.
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:58 PM

Chico2 I am doing my best. I make sure (and DH too) there is warm water available all day. I am sure they are being fed somewhere as this is about tenth generation of this colony. They could not have lasted this long if no one was feeding them. We are going to try to make a shelter for them under the deck before the cold returns tomorrow and they do get Temptations twice a day. The deck is cleared of snow/ice and I have carpets to put down so they don't freeze their paws. The hot tub cover is cleared and I have chairs clear of snow our there so they can get off the ground. What else would you suggest?

I can't encourage them to "live" here as I can't take a chance with Ziggy going all nutso. Zuzu and my two senior dogs would not survive any redirected anger. I KNOW YOU understand that.

I am keeping an eye on them but as you know there are not a lot of resources for feral cats. The shelters already have to pts plenty of beautiful domestic ones.

I swear, I am doing all that I can right now.

you to stay" ♥ ♥

Old January 28th, 2011, 06:54 PM
150% PRO S/N

chico - I know Di is doing her best for these guys. You can also look at these kitties and tell that someone has been feeding them and looking after them. It's hard to say how far they travel in a day to get to Di's. Their ears aren't frostbitten so they have someplace they go at night too. They have to have or they would not look that good. These cats are being well looked after.
I think Di's putting up something for them for the cold snap coming is a great thing. I applaud her for doing it. We all know many who will and do turn a blind eye. Di is doing what she can at this moment.

Di - how old do you think the wee ones are? If they are small enough there is a chance to tame them. Is there any rescues in the area who may be willing to trap them and give it a try? If not I'm sure they are being well looked after by their colony mates. Thank you again for giving them warm water and some treats.

Last edited by 14+kitties; January 28th, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old January 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
150% PRO S/N

As long as we are posting sites lets go with my all time favourite.

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_...WINTER_SHELTER

The top one in particular is great for multiple cats. Not what I expect Di to build but for others reading this in the future.

Old January 28th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I hate seeing them out there with all that snow. It's so heartbreaking to me. I often look at mine and then see strays outside and think how cruel it is, that some are so lucky to be loved in homes and others have to fight for their life out in the cold.

These little ones are lucky to have people like you. I agree with some of the others, they look well fed.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

diandpat,I certainly was not saying you are not doing enough,I know you do everything you can
Also I do have the scars to prove what a cats redirected aggression can do to you,now just another memory of my boy Rocky..

I did not know these kitties were part of a larger colony,so definitely the orange cat is not the one in Verdun

Also,I,unlike so many on here,have never dealt with several ferals at one time and I know there are thousands out there,
it's just so darn heartbreaking to see them
I believe,just like"my"Squirrels,the outdoor cats fluff their fur up to keep warm,my Squirrels all look fat in their winterfurs