Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 26th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Jack Russel&Cat

I know the answer to this already,but like someone elses in-put since my son thinks I am a"wuss"
My son has a 4yr old female,very energetic cute JR,he lives in a one-bed room condo.Already before he got her,I warned against having her by herself all day in the apt(without a crate),Subsequently she just about destroyed his furniture.Well,she is calmer now at age 4,at least somewhat.
Anyway,to the question..My son wants to add a cat to his small apt,I've said absolutely not..
Reading up on the JR,there were incidents where they had even killed a cat and should not be left alone with a cat all day.
I would never even consider it,but he is stubborn and think's Kita(The JR)is a sweet-heart,which she is,but I could certainly never put her together with my cats when she is visiting.
Any answers pro or con I'll show my son..thank's.
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:34 AM

We had a Jack Russell named Jake and our vet warned us about the dangers of having a cat AND a JR.

The problem is that the two may get along at first but sooner or later the JR is going to "take out" the cat when you least expect. It could be a week, a month, or years. There is no way to tell.

We didn't really believe all the trainers or our vet, I mean Jake (the JR) was so sweet and very easy going aside from all the energy there was no way "our" dog would do this...WRONG. I was very lucky to be home at the time when Jake out of nowhere decided that Pepper was not something he would tolerate anymore. Pepper did nothing to provoke it and Jake had already been well excised for the day so it wasn't like he was frustrated and bored. Pepper was headed for her food dish when Jake attacked. It took everything I had to stop the attack and seperate them. From that moment on I had to make sure they never saw or we're in the same room with each other.

Please tell your son that Kita is already EXTREMELY frustrated at being left alone all day without excercise or companionship ( hence the destruction of the furniture). If he adds a cat to this already nonidealic situation it will not take Kita long to take out all of that pent up energy and frustration on the cat.

It's wonderful that he would like to give another animal a home but the consequences would be too high!!
Murph's Mom
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's,I kind of knew what the answer would be and I'll show my son..
Kita does go out in the middle of the day with an elderly retired neighbor who loves her and it seems to be enough until my son returns at 5pm.
I even think Humane Society,where he would get the cat,would not let him adopt a cat with a JR in the apt. Thank's again!
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Just curious, why does your son want a cat, when he hardly seems to have time for the pet he already has?

And if your Humane Society is anything like ours, they would give a rabbit to someone who has a pack of Jack Russels and not give a damn!
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,I asked him the same question..he grew up with mutiple animals. But there will be no cat in his apt,I will make sure of that.
Our HS is overloaded with cats,but they are very careful who they adopt out to,the saddest thing is to see the cats returned for one reason or the other.
I think Murph's answer will convince him.
Reading about JR's,there was a lady with 2 cats and a JR,getting along fine,until one day she returned home to find both her cats dead...My son is 41(i had him when I was 11yrs,LOL)so not exactly a child anymore.
Old January 27th, 2004, 04:07 PM

i had a jr and 2 cats...i left them alone all the time...the only thing he didn't like was rodents and birds. you could test him around cats before you get one. cats are pretty strong creature too,,a good swat by a cat could turn him off the species altogether