Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:12 AM

question

I have six cats. One started sneezing the other day. Now the other five have also stared sneezing. What is going on
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:08 AM
banned user

You need a vet...could be an Upper respirtory infection which can be deadly.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaruq
You need a vet...could be an Upper respirtory infection which can be deadly.
Are you serious. My cays are all indoor cats . Could you please tell me more. how could they have picked up something. thank you
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmcgee
Are you serious. My cays are all indoor cats . Could you please tell me more. how could they have picked up something. thank you
Well it may be just a cold... but best to go find out. But we had cat parvo go through the barn before and it was sneezing... but quite violent. Not sure how yours would get it unless there are other animals around your windows maybe... cats sitting near screens??? Just a guess.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

It sounds like your cats may have picked up a mild case of rhinotracheitis, an upper respiratory problem that might be compared to a cold, although cats do not get colds in the way we do.

If your cats are indoor and healthy, it should pass in a week or 10 days. Just be on the lookout for green discharge from eyes or nose, or any wheezing. This would indicate a secondary infection and a vet visit would be necessary.

Make sure they are eating and drinking too.

My own 3 cats just had a little case of this just recently, with sneezing only, and now everyone is fine.

MBRA518 - your cats had feline parvo?? This is a very serious disease and requires treatment.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
It sounds like your cats may have picked up a mild case of rhinotracheitis, an upper respiratory problem that might be compared to a cold, although cats do not get colds in the way we do.

If your cats are indoor and healthy, it should pass in a week or 10 days. Just be on the lookout for green discharge from eyes or nose, or any wheezing. This would indicate a secondary infection and a vet visit would be necessary.

Make sure they are eating and drinking too.

My own 3 cats just had a little case of this just recently, with sneezing only, and now everyone is fine.

MBRA518 - your cats had feline parvo?? This is a very serious disease and requires treatment.
yes i just talked to the vet and they said it should go away in about two weeks but to keep an eye on their eating habits . I thank all of yous for the help.Yes you were right lucky rescue. thank you again
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Yup.. a stray brought in to my mother's place... The treatment didn't work... the cats would clear up and it would look like she had it beat... then a few months later it would return... after about 3 - 4 bouts of this she finally had to put them down. Since we didn't know were it came from she stayed catless for 18 months to be sure the virus had died before she got more cats. She has 3 of the cutest cats now... each one is a great mouser... they bring "presents" most every morning... LOL. I keep telling her I'm going to steal her steel grey cutie.