Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old May 16th, 2005, 10:33 AM
banned user

Why would someone do this ?

Hi all,

I have a predicament on my hands, that I’d appreciate both comments and suggestions about. Someone I’ve know for the past year or so has been acting quite questionably. In this time she has adopted and then returned 7 dogs that I know of! They are a Pomeranian, Bouvier de Flandres , 2 Bernese mixes, a Lab mix, a Aussie mix, and a Golden Retriever. Also included are 2 cats. She decides to adopt them. keeps them for a few months then turns around with some half hazard excuse as to why she cannot keep them & puts them back up for adoption. Only to “adopt” a different dog a few weeks later. Seeing she is somewhat involved in rescue she can do this quite easily. Meanwhile the poor dogs in question keep getting bumped from one home to another just as they are beginning to trust again and settle in. They are posted as adopted so many potential adopters are turned away. Only to be ‘back from adoption” a few months later. In the meantime her children get very attached to these sweethearts only to lose them a few months down the line. Why would someone involved in “rescue” , keep trading their own pets in for a newer model?

I’m beginning to think she is a hoarder/collector who just happens to have an easy avenue to re-home them later.

Last edited by Spring Garden; May 16th, 2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:34 AM

That's horrible. That's a good question - why would someone do this?! Those poor animals have been through enough, to be tossed out again. Does she have problems training them or does she just get bored of them? Either way, someone needs to talk to her and tell her what she's doing isn't right.

Doesn't anyone at the shelter/organization realize what she's doing?
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

That is horrible and it makes no sense. What kind of rescue group even allows that to happen?
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I wonder the same Cyberkitten!

She could be this way for any given reason. But as a rescuer you should be more excepting of dogs or animals bad habits.
Maybe she;s a horder or one of those people that wants attention and recognition and once the intial 'your a wonderful person for taking in these pets' are gone she returns them. I am thinking of that disorder that for example firefighters would light their own fires and then rush to the scene and be the heroe. I can't think of the name now.

A little far fetched but hey I gave it a shot......
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know why comments are being asked for. I'm sure you know full well that constantly acquiring then dumping animals arbitrarily is not a good thing and I know everyone here agrees.

I would not call this collecting or hoarding, since those people keep ALL the animals they get and refuse to give up any of them, no matter if they can care for them or not and do not recognize the harm they are doing.

I'd like to hear the other side of the story. I know there are people here who decided to rehome an animal for the animal's own benefit - the pet may need a quiet home, or a home with no other animals.

I did myself. I took a little kitten off the street, and decided to keep her. She could not get over her fear of my dog, and consequently was spending all her time alone. She went to a home with no dogs and is very happy and much better off! It would have been selfish of me to keep her.
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I did once need to rehome a cat, she was frightened of children, when my first baby was born the cat did well with her till she turned about 6 months old.

then the cat got timid and scared, and despite our best efforts to keep teh cat and my daughter away from each other, and supervised. One day the cat attacked my daughter, scratched and bit her.

I was devastated, I cried for days having to find a new home for her.

A friend of mine took her and gave her a wonderful Home, shes more spoiled then you would beleive.

shes happy in a home as the only pet, with no children. and I gotta say shes more happy then she ever was in my home.

shes now a little queen of her new home and couldnt be happier.

looking back on it it was the best decision for both her and my daughter.

its heartbreaking to ahve to rehome a pet, but in some situations it can be necessary.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Personal servant to Joey

I think if you make a mistake and get the wrong dog and can learn from the experience and really do a lot research to make sure you get the right one the second time is somewhat understandable. But to rehome 7 dogs is riduculous she should have been stopped at the second one.
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Obviously there is something wrong here. I expect that if you asked her directly, her reply would be she was just "fostering" these dogs. Obviously the process is different than adopting a dog, but people believe what they want to and often can be very convincing to others.
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking the same,she might be fostering for the rescue,not adopting...and then it's a good thing..
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I think Lucky Rescue and Chico are right on target with this one...no doubt in my mind.
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:33 PM
<-----nut ball

Are you sure she isn't fostering? Maybe she is taking the dogs in as a foster, trying to decide whether to keep one or not.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:05 PM
banned user

No it is not a foster situation. Refusing possible adoptions/ posting said dog as adopted keeping them anywhere from 6 months to 1 year 1/2. Until the novelty has worn off or things got chewed. Then trading them in for another dog that just came in... does not a foster make.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Garden
No it is not a foster situation. Refusing possible adoptions/ posting said dog as adopted keeping them anywhere from 6 months to 1 year 1/2. Until the novelty has worn off or things got chewed. Then trading them in for another dog that just came in... does not a foster make.
Have you talked with the rescue she gets these animals from yet? Sounds to me you are close to the situation...have you talked with "her" yet?

What exactly are you asking of us to do about this situation?
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

lol

So Spring Garden has a little bone to pick with me and because she has nothing better to do with her time, she's come back again. Well here goes hon. I have nothing to hide and most are very aware of my home situation as were you when you got banned the first time or did you get banned first.. hmmm it's all a grey area.

Peanut: adorable little Pomeranian who barked his fool head off continuously whether out playing or in our backyard. Who was so stressed by the kids activity and the other dogs around that he never relaxed. Rehomed to a lovely lady who recently lost her husband and absolutely adores him. She actually recently moved to the country so her "big guy" could have a larger yard to play in.

Lucky: Beautiful Large Golden Retriever whom we had for 6 weeks. He got comfortable, while taking him out for a walk with my two children in their stroller, he lunged to attack a dog on the other side of the road pulling me off my feet. We felt it was odd and tried a few days later again. Same response to other dogs. We chose to put our kids safety above him. We rehomed to a 50 acre home in Rigaud with a 19 year old daughter who had been looking for a golden for several months. She adores him, understands that he shouldn't be trusted with other dogs and is in a place that he is safe.

Guinness & Jackie: Both rehomed due to an ultimatum by my husband that it was just too much and he wanted out. Guinness was a constant fence jumper so went to a home with a 4 year old child and 8 ft of fencing. I drove him 8 hours to that new home. Jackie went to live with her son and is spoiled rotten. I get updates about her all the time as the couple is in the area. I chose to save my marriage, silly me, should have walked away from 12 years and two little kids.

As for the other one's, I haven't a clue. I foster multiple dogs and cats on occasion. Yep, the above definitely makes me a hoarder and a terrible person. Choose to believe what you wish. I'm pretty comfortable in my skin and those that really know me know how I am.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the question has been answered. Anyone wanting more info can contact the posters directly.

I'm going to close this before it deteriorates into a bashfest.
Closed Thread