Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 5th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Best dog food for Early Kidney Disease?

My 11 year old Sheppard Colllie cross was recently diagnosed with Kidney Disease. We found out as part of bloodwork taken for a check-up because her hips were bothering her, It came as quite a shock to me, as she isn't peeing /drinking excessively, has energy and generally seems okay for a dog her age..other than the weakness in her hindend.

They are suggesting I put her on Medi-cal Renal LP and I'm wondering what alternatives there are that are for dogs with kidney disease? I've considered making her own food, but it isn't something I can realistically commit to with kids/work..life etc. I'm not a big fan of Pharmacutial dog foods and she tends to be a picky eater (tried her on Medi-cal Gastro for past-gut issues and she didn't like it) , but if it is truly the best option I will make the switch.

I'm in Ontario and hoping to find something readily available if possible.

thank you for any help,
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:59 AM

Hi Jennifer sorry to hear about your dog's diagnosis what's her name?

I'm more familiar with Chronic Kidney Failure in cats than I am with it in dogs, much of it it the same and I'll definately help where I can

Did your vet run a urinalysis as well as bloodwork? If you have the numbers, can you post the BUN/Urea, Creatinine, calcium, phosphorus values and reference ranges from the bloodwork and the urine specific gravity from the urinalysis and anything else that was out of normal range.

For food honestly the best diet for your dog is raw or homecooked. If this is not an option for you right now a high quality dogfood made with all natural ingredients but fairly low in phosphorus is best. I am, to put it very mildly, not a fan of Medi-cal so I won't be pointing you in that direction I'll come up with some brand suggestions in the next couple of days.

Some links:
Kidney Failure Where to begin from Veterinary Partner

Overall information site more techincal Chronic Kidney Disease from Merck Vet Manual same manual the Vets have in clinic

Kidney Disease in Dogs from DogAware incls diet including homemade, supplements, meds, subq fluids

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 10th, 2009, 10:03 PM

For low phosphorus foods you want to try to stay around 0.6-0.8% or less dry matter phosphorus. There is a listing of some non-prescription foods here by % of dm phos, not every food is listed and you do want to keep in mind higher quality ingredients are better, than one filled with corn and lots of grains.

For Dry foods: Innova Senior is a great food with a dm phos value of 0.72%. Innova Senior Plus is a great food with a dm phos value of 0.85% Eagle Pack Enhanced Maturity Formula is good food with a dm phos value of 0.88%. Wellness Super Mix Just for Seniors is a great food with a dm phos value of 0.84%. Acana Senior Light is a great food with a dm phos value of 0.89%

For Canned foods: Both Eagle Pack and Wellness don't list the phos values, I would bet they are fairly good numbers, the companies would be willing to give you that info if you email them. Innova canned is too high in phos. Acana doesn't do canned.

With the foods that are higher in phos but ones that she will eat, you can get phosphorus binders to add to the food to block the body from absorbing the phosphorus.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Tags
dog food, kidney disease, low protein