Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 10th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Is pet insurance necessary?

I assume there are at least a few of you out there that have pet insurance. does it seem necessary, or is it just there "in case"? Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, if you know you'll have funds available for anything that may come up, including emergency surgery which could cost 2000$, then you probably don't need pet ins.

But for many people, paying a little each month is preferable. It just depends on your circumstances.

You could even put money away each payday in a special account, as long as you have the willpower to not spend it.
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I figured out,it would cost me $90+/month for my three cats and it would not cover shots and regular check-ups,a bit steep for us.
If surgery or anything serious would be needed,we would be ok...I am always a bit leery about insurances,had a few not pleasant experiences..
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that it is a good idea. I am looking into it for Bud but you really have to look at each plan carefully to see what is covered and what is not. Different breeds have different health issues so make sure you read the fine print some dont cover HD so if you have a breed prone to it you need it to be covered.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thumbs up Pet insurance - Peace of mind

We have have been paying the premiums for our 2 cats for 2 years.

It gives us definite peace of mind especially for 1 of the cats that has had multiple operations to remove obstructions when he USED to be an outdoor cat. We haven't needed to use it since we've been paying for it, but it still gives us peace of mind.

As one of the ADMINS on this site, I can attest (as can MANY of the regulars and mods) to the thousands of posters that would have benefitted from pet insurance over the years.

Thousands of visitors come to this site each month looking for advice when their pets require costly veterinary intervention. Many end up having to make very difficult decisions as to 'what to do'. If they had pet insurance they would not have to make this decision.

In my book - it's a must.

Marko
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Thumbs down

I took out pet insurance for Kuma when I brought him home.. paid my year premiums.. Now insurance is good if he gets hit by a car, bit by a bug and has a reaction, or breaks a leg ( most likely the dog would trip me and i'd break mine ! Not covered under his insurance :sad: )
But I had to get x-rays on him ... looked at my contract ... read the fine print ... BAM !!!! not covered... shots, not covered, so my way of thinking is... that most common bills are NOT covered.
I keep my dog extremely close to me at all times, he's a backyard, house dog so I only had it for one Year.
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:27 PM
banned user

If we only had one pet I would have it in a second, but having 5 and paying monthly for all of them, I don't see that as being worth it... it would be well over $100 a month. Now if it covered everything... I would have second thoughts, but for now I don't.