Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Dogs rear end giving out, can barely walk

Our Maddox a 2yr old lab/pit mix suddenly lost the use of his rear end late last night. We had just gotten home from being out with friends, Maddox came in to greet us like he normally would, he was walking around saying hi to everyone then suddenly his rear end gave out, then he just slid down to the floor. He just sat there like what just happened, so we just watched him for a bit, 10min later i try to get him up, i lift his rear end and tries to walk with all the weight on his front legs, he managed for a few feet then just fell down again. At this point it was 3am i just carried him into our bedroom and waited till the morning to see how he was. He needed to go outside at 4:30 so i carried him out to the backyard, he was able to get up and hobble around awkwardly and do his business, then walked back into the bedroom. He had to go out 2 more times after that. When he walks he is really stiff in the rear end, he only moves his legs a bit, when he goes to lay down again he is really stiff, just like a person with a really bad back would try to sit down...that really stiff manner. So far this morning he is the same, is able to get around if needed, but very stiff looking. I have touched him/poked him to see if there is a spot that hurts him, but nothing. He did have diareha last night and has had it along with our other dog on and off the past week or so, we feed them Canidae and nothing else, might change the food...not sure if that has any relivance, but wanted ot mention it.

So has anything experienced this before? and ideas?
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Your dog needs to see a vet as soon as possible tomorrow morning, if not earlier. It could be a number of things, including stroke, back injury incurred while you were out, complications from Lyme's disease or another tick-borne illness, or parvo, just to mention a few...and they're all serious. The diarrhea may not be from the food--there may be some underlying infection causing it--so try to get a stool sample to take when you go to the vet. It may or may not be related...

Good luck Ryanh. Please keep us posted on what the vet says.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:36 PM
-

I agree with Hazel. Please get Maddox to the vet asap as this is something that is definitely serious. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:27 PM

I tried to contact my vet, but was referred to the emergency on call vet clinic. Talked with the vet over the phone, said the diahrea is likely a different issue since our other dog has had the same thing, that we will need stool test, but thats less of an issue at this point. The sudden lameness in the rear end could be spine related, but he doubts that since Maddox is only 2yrs old, generally it happens with older dogs, seizure is possible and the after effects is the lameness. One thing that my wife told me that I didn't know was that Maddox was limping as he walked into the room before he fell to the floor, I told this to the vet and that along with the fact that Maddox has a hard time laying down and getting up, the action of bending the legs and that when he walks his legs are stiff and not bending leads him to believe that it could be a torn ACL, but which leg it is I can't tell at this point. He advised me that having him looked at immediately is not that necessary, he recommened keeping Maddox quiet, no walking unless he needs to go out, just rest and if no improvement by Tuesday morning to take him to my vet. Monday is a holiday here so we have to wait the extra day.
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad you were able to talk to a vet, Ryanh! We're certainly not qualified to diagnose anything, much less over the internet, and poor Maddox definitely needed a professional opinion.

How is he doing tonight? I hope he's better !

Please remember to keep us posted on his progress. Oh...and if you happen to have a few pictures of your dogs to share with us, we'd be extremely appreciative! I don't remember seeing any pictures of them before...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

If it were me I wouldn't wait until Tuesday.
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

As someone who has way too much experience with dogs (young ones) that paralzyed, I would get my dog to vet as soon as possible. Age has nothing to do with it. My breed of dog was different and prone to major disc disease, but waiting was not an option - particular with the breed of dog we had - and now with our Eskimo, I wouldn't wait either. I also live in Ontario so understand that every place is shut. I don't know what type of Emergency clinics are available in Kingston. In Toronto we now have a "super" clinic but if immediate surgery is required we have to go to Guelph - which would be a much longer drive for you. I hope everything works out. I suspect you might be seeing a neuro surgeon (unless it is ACL).
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Geek Club CEO

I'd operate under the assumption that this is a neuro problem until proven otherwise, and strongly recommend you either crate your dog (ideal) or keep him confined in a bathroom or other very small room until you can get him to a vet. No walking at all, and carry out to poo/pee. NO WALKING. Is he able to pee/poo on his own? Has he had any accidents (peed his bed?)
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:51 AM

He got to the vet this morning, vet doesn't know what exactly it is so he's having x-rays tomorrow to look at the knee, back, and hips. For now he is on pain meds. Given what I have seen thus far and the research I have done online I'm leaning towards knee related, he is favouring more his right leg now. And since our house is still in the middle of renovations we have part of the concrete block foundation exposed between 2 rooms allowing the dogs if they weren't paying attention could run/walk and get a foot caught in the hole of the block which would cause damage to the knee.
ANyways we will let the vet take it from here, thanks.
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope he's better soon, Ryanh!