Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 21st, 2005, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

sam got all protective

we were getting off the elevator and an older guy wated on the elevator in a hurry, he cursed at Issac and shoved him out of his way

well sam went nuts barking, my neghbor came out to see the fuss because sam literally never barks.

she grabbed issac and the stroller because i had to hold sam since he was having a fit

he never lunged or attempted to bite, but his bark meant business.

does this make sam aggressive at all or just protective?? should I allow him to be protective but draw the line at barking, im glad sam barked because the guy backed off

but im concerned that I now need to teach sam what level of protective is allowable

any thoughts?

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:38 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Personally I wouldn't discourage Sam from this behaviour provided it's controllable. He was doing what he felt was his job. The man had no right to touch your son let alone shove him. I say "you go Sam!"
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah he got a cookie, I was proud

im just wanting to be sure that im not setting us up for any aggression.

what an afternoon I tell ya!

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:46 PM
banned user

Perfectly Normal

It seems that Sam does know his boundaries of when to become aggressive and this was one. Cursing at your child or shoving him alone is reason enough to get upset- Sam was just protecting HIS pack member- and I think thats fine. I say "go sam!" as well
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:16 PM

I would say that as long as you can "turn it off" when you need to, then it's perfectly fine. (Way to go Sam!)
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:28 PM

As long as you feel that the barking was just that, barking. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if sam actually had bitten the man or he decides to bite someone in the future, it could possibly mean Sam's life.

Again, since you know the dog better than any of us, if you feel that Sam was just barking and wouldn't go any further, good for him.

~
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Same here. I think what Sam did was right. That man should have never touched or cursed at you son.
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:44 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I agree that Sam was doing his job - protecting his pack. The guy probably deserved to be bitten as well, but that could've led to some undesired results. Good boy Sam!!!!
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

He took it to the level he needed to take it to and no more. I think somebody would have a hard time making a complaint about a dog that barked at him after he pushed a child out of the way.
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:39 PM

Good boy, Sam!! I agree with the others - he's protecting his pack. He did good. As long as he's not displaying agressive behaviours otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. Phoebe has started showing a protective side lately, but she's still generally a good-natured, friendly girl, so I'm not too worried.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taket
As long as you feel that the barking was just that, barking. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if sam actually had bitten the man or he decides to bite someone in the future, it could possibly mean Sam's life.

Again, since you know the dog better than any of us, if you feel that Sam was just barking and wouldn't go any further, good for him.

~

i dont think sam would ever actually bite,

im pretty sure hes all bark, and we have worked on bite inhabition since day one. for him to even bark is a huge deal since we have taught him not to bark under most circumstances.

Eleni
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, my dog would have gotten an immediate correction. I decide who or what is a threat, not my dog. While the man's actions and language were rude and threatening, it is your job to protect your dog and your child from people like that.

By giving him a treat for responding to the threatening action, you are reinforcing his action of deciding what is a threat. Next time, he may decide that teeth would be a better response to such a threat.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

So how would I have told him it was a threat,

I mean the guy shoving my son obviously WAS a threat.

this is the only instance ever where sam has barked at someone let alone anything else.

sam is very laid back, I dont beleive he was wanting to do away with the threat as much as inform me of it.

I have no problem with him barking at someone for laying their hands on my child, never would I allow him the oppertunity to bite in any sence, hes always leashed and gets scolded for even a hint of aggression, growling or what not, even tho its been a non issue till this point.

I think in this case his barking was appropriate.

so how would be the most appropriate way to deal with this situation in the future so that the dog does what is appropriate, and nothing more?

that was my origional question.albeit worded badly

Eleni
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott
. While the man's actions and language were rude and threatening, it is your job to protect your dog and your child from people like that.

I do protect my child and the dog, this situation obviously was one that caught me off guard.

as any mother knows you cant always protect your children 100% of the time, my son was standing right beside me, and in any normal cicumstance the man would simply walk by us and get on the elevator, how was i to know he would shove my son?

I cannot read minds, nor predict the future.

Eleni
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were not being a good Mom.

Yes, things happen all the time that we can not predict. IMHO, I would have corrected the dog and then given the man a HUGE piece of my mind.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 04:42 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott
Sorry, my dog would have gotten an immediate correction. I decide who or what is a threat, not my dog. While the man's actions and language were rude and threatening, it is your job to protect your dog and your child from people like that.

By giving him a treat for responding to the threatening action, you are reinforcing his action of deciding what is a threat. Next time, he may decide that teeth would be a better response to such a threat.
If you weren't there to tell the dog that someone/something was threatening, does that mean that the dog wouldn't react? I would be happy to know that if for some reason I wasn't there to protect my child, that my dog would. I would much rather that my dog bark or even bite than have a dog stand there while my child is kidnapped or beaten because I wasn't there to cue the dog to the threat.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
If you weren't there to tell the dog that someone/something was threatening, does that mean that the dog wouldn't react? I would be happy to know that if for some reason I wasn't there to protect my child, that my dog would. I would much rather that my dog bark or even bite than have a dog stand there while my child is kidnapped or beaten because I wasn't there to cue the dog to the threat.

I tend to agree

Eleni
Old June 23rd, 2005, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
OK. Let's take a deep breathe. My opinion differs a bit from yours, which is just fine. I'll try to explain.

Dogs, IMHO, are not part of the family to protect us. It is our job to protect them. They are not part of the family to babysit or protect our children. Again, this is my job.

If I was out walking my dog and my child, then it is my responsibility to be watchful of strangers and deal with any situation that would arise. People walking by or getting on an elevator or whatever should not have to be worried about my dog barking, growling or lunging at them. Whether they deserve it or not.

If someone comes into my backyard uninvited, then my dog would bark. I think. I don't know. In the 20 years that I have had children, it has never happened.

Now, I have a hard time keeping up with what kind of dog everyone here has, so I have no idea what type of dog Sam is - but if he is or could be confused with a "pit bull" then barking at someone for any reason could be very dangerous for Sam. With the climate what it is in Canada right now, I would nip that behaviour in the bud.

And just because your dog barked at someone in an elevator certainly doesn't mean that he would protect your child from an evil-doer. More likely, he was startled by the man's loud voice and sudden action and responded as a startled dog does. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 12:58 PM

I say good for Sam. I don't keep my husband around just for protection either but I like it when he takes up for me...
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Personally speaking... I would have bit that old bast@#d
myself if he would have layed a hand on my son. HE could be charged with assault.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Sam is a bichon/poodle he weights 18lbs after a meal :P

but respect your opinion and tho I dont agree personally, i do see where you are coming from

Eleni