Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 24th, 2009, 07:58 AM

stinky dog head NOT ear infection

My altered male dog intermittently emits an odour from the top of his head that smells foul greasy smell; not like excrement ....... this smell is not anywhere else on his body. He does not have an ear infection, he does not have bad breath. Are there glands on his head that could produce this odor and if so what can i do about eliminating it?
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Look for a hot spot behind the ear from scratching, and also under the collar. My golden had a hot spot right under the collar and it was the smell that I noticed first.
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Geek Club CEO

No, there aren't any glands in the head that would emit such a noticeable odor.

Our dog Jaida was often called "Farty McCheese", because generally she smelled cheesy/greasy, most noticeably around her head and ears...

until we changed her diet from kibble to a diet consiting of raw meaty bones and offal. What are you feeding your dog right now?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It doesn't smell like his urine, does it? Our dogs often get what we call 'potty head'. They pee on some leaves then get it on top of their heads when they sniff around after. Dogs! Whaddya gonna do?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:29 PM

suzan when you say "no infection" has it been checked ? My dog picked up a fungal infection a couple of summers ago that I *think* she either picked up during a particularly rainy week or from the pile of seaweed she had rolled in at the beach. She stunk (weird yeast-y, cheese-y smell ).

Does his head FEEL greasy, or just smell rancid ? Dogs can have seborrhea can't they ?
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I had the same experience ImNomad had, just a nasty smell and it ended up being a bacterial infection that she picked up at the beach. Only caught a whiff of it once in awhile....but it was stinky.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_nomad View Post
suzan when you say "no infection" has it been checked ? My dog picked up a fungal infection a couple of summers ago that I *think* she either picked up during a particularly rainy week or from the pile of seaweed she had rolled in at the beach. She stunk (weird yeast-y, cheese-y smell ).

well i can see infection if the whole body smelled; and the vet saw him and could smell the odour just on the head and not on the body; she said try food so that is why i changed it

Does his head FEEL greasy, or just smell rancid ? Dogs can have seborrhea can't they ?
its a little oily
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It doesn't smell like his urine, does it? Our dogs often get what we call 'potty head'. They pee on some leaves then get it on top of their heads when they sniff around after. Dogs! Whaddya gonna do?
nope; he always ends up peeing on his front legs which get washed after every walk, but even his urine doesn't seem to smell much
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
No, there aren't any glands in the head that would emit such a noticeable odor.

Our dog Jaida was often called "Farty McCheese", because generally she smelled cheesy/greasy, most noticeably around her head and ears...

until we changed her diet from kibble to a diet consiting of raw meaty bones and offal. What are you feeding your dog right now?
This is not a cheesy smell; i would say more like very dirty sweat impregnated bed sheets! this smell literally wafts upwards but only intermittently; the body has absolutley no odour

i changed his food from a good quality all fish based to chicken fish egg but it is kibble
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Look for a hot spot behind the ear from scratching, and also under the collar. My golden had a hot spot right under the collar and it was the smell that I noticed first.
none there