Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 15th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Veterinary Assistant

Hi All

This is sort of pet related and I didn't know where else to post this. Are there any Vet Assistants or Veterinarians out there? I'm thinking of changing careers and becoming a Vet Assistant (not a tech). Just wondering what sorts of things an assistant does in a pet hospital? The program is wait listed at my local college but there are study at home programs. Would a study at home program have the same recognition as taking the program at a "real" college? I am 46 years old and have always wanted to work with animals as I love them so much. Never too late to follow your dreams
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey I am 48 and has always thought about this! Let me know what you find out?
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Obsessed animal lover

If you want to be a vet assistant, don't bother with the school. Volunteer at a shelter or humane society. Apply for jobs. I'm a trained on the job vet tech and while i don't know all the technical things they should know, a vet assistant basically feeds and cleans the animals and assists the tech with restraining animals. If you volunteer at the humane society nd feed and clean the animals, then you can be a vet assistant. It's a great job if you're not in it for money. And as you feed and clean the animals, you get more time to get to know them. I took a job at an animal hospital to decide what I wanted to do. I was. Bored at my office job so I thought maybe teaching or vet. I'm still working at an animal hospital but went to teachers college. I decided that if I were to continue with animals I would have to become a vet with a bent toward nutrition. At 41 I cannot be in school forever and then in debt again. But that's just me. Can I ask why you don't want to do the vet tech route? Just asking, no judgement. I personally feel they do a lot if grunt work and don't get compensated for it. However like I said, if you're not in it for the money, then go for it. But don't go to school unless you want to be a tech. and congratulations on going for a second career!
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:58 PM

flipgirl knows her stuff. Vet assistants do not require any schooling.
As an assistant your responsibilties would be the equivalent of a kennel attendant. Which, as flipgirl already mention, would be mostly cleaning and feeding. They are essentially the housekeepers of a clinic.
I also would suggest applying for a job with your local humane society. Another option would be kennels/boarding facilities.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:17 PM

I have found with my experience in applying for Assistant jobs is the vets (at least here in town) look at the post secondary... has the applicant taken the time to invest some time in education in the field, etc. I have animal work experience up the wazoo but do not have any post secondary in the veterinary field. There are a few online courses that you can take that you may benefit from ( http://www.ed2go.com/CourseCatalog.aspx?department=CV ) but it's all personal preference and what the vets in your area look for. Perhaps meet with the vets and ask them "What do you look for in a Veterinary Assistant?", "Does it matter if the Veterinary Assistants have post secondary in animal field?") Just my two cents.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Is Georgian College near you? Here is a link to their Vet Assistant course.

http://www.georgianc.on.ca/programs/VETA/outline/

In my experience once a school develops a programme like this they get the local employers on board to support them. This can make it harder for potential employees to get assistant or internship jobs as now the Vet clinic, car dealership or whatever now is encouraged to hire from the school's pool of students. Plus the students sometimes get to use such positions as a credit courses. Good luck.

ETA: hadn't read the whole thing at first posting. This part might include you,
Quote:
Adults with significant life and work experience may receive credits toward a college certificate or diploma program through an assessment process.