Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

View Poll Results: Whats your choice
#1 0 0%
#2 0 0%
#3 24 85.71%
#4 0 0%
#5 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Dog food poll

Which would you choose between these 5 dog foods if you HAD ONLY these choices. ( raw not an option sorry, ONLY these 5 foods existed )Also, your dog had no allergies/intolerances to foods.
Dont cheat and look up the ingredients, im just curious as to how many people if faced with only ingredients would choose which foods.
I'll post the brands in a few days.

Choice #1

Ingredients:
Turkey, brewers rice, pearled barley, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), dried egg product, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), pea fiber, dried beet pulp, fish oil, natural flavor, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium carbonate, dried tomatoes, blueberry pomace, dried sweet potatoes, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, choline chloride, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
B-4402

Choice #2

GROUND YELLOW CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), WHEAT MILL RUN, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, RICE, WHEAT FLOUR, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2- POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULPHATE, COPPER SULPHATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).

Choice #3

Bison , Salmon Meal , Brown Rice , Millet , Cracked Pearled Barley , Oatmeal , Rice Bran , Canola Oil , Flaxseed Oil , Amaranth, Blueberries , Yucca Schidigera Extract , Carotene , Choline Chloride , Vitamin E Supplement , Iron Proteinate , Zinc Proteinate , Copper Proteinate , Manganese Proteinate , Potassium Iodide , Thiamine Mononitrate , Ascorbic Acid , Vitamin A Supplement , Biotin , Calcium Panthothenate , Selenomethionine , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride , Vitamin B12 Supplement , Riboflavin , Vitamin D Supplement , Folic Acid

Choice #4

Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, poultry by-product meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, animal digest, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2, Yellow 6), manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite. P-4101

Choice #5

Ingredients
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Rice Bran (from brown rice), Whitefish, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
Honest Contributor

can't vote, sorry... they all suck :sad:

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I hear ya TD, just a curiousness I have ( if thats even a word ) Im going to vote at the end of it, before revealing the brands. Not because I want to, but because if i dont buy atleast one of these 5 brands... my dogs'll starve
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog food poll

I recognize number 3. I won't reveal the name of the food but it would be my vote of the 5 listed.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Honest Contributor

erykah i didn't mean to sound so blunt and i know what #3 is too... he he... so who's not taking to the raw, it is B? just curious!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

No actually B is doing great on the raw... Meik is still odd man out ( for now)
In all honesty I posted this in another forum ( among corn in dog food lovers) and just thought it was a fun experiment.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM

#3 looks ok to me... I'm no expert, but it looks a bit better than the others. I'm a bit biased though, since right now I can only feed Tommy vet food ANYTHING else looks better than what we have, lol.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

i picked #3 i think i know what food it is.
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
I recognize number 3. I won't reveal the name of the food but it would be my vote of the 5 listed.
I agree. #5 is my #2 choice, but it's got wayyyy a lot of tomato in it (stool hardener) which leads me to believe it's much grainier than meaty.

#2 is the WORST. Just disgusting. I wouldn't feed that to my worst enemy's dog. Just disgusting.

#4 is second WORST, but VERY close to #2. More "animal" things (just disgusting).

#1- many bad things about it, but it's still much better than 2 and 4, but nowhere near 3 and 5.

Honestly, the only real complaint about #3 is the grain, but even then, they're more digestible grains than the usual ones. And honestly, you've never seen a coat on a doggy like you'll see on that food.
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:24 AM
-

Yes, #3 was in my doggy bowls for awhile.
Old February 4th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Animal Lover

I'm totally confused as to what #3 is. I voted for it because it looked the best to me. We just upgraded to Innova and I'm excited to see how well they do. I also started adding some yogurt and eggs into their diet along with the raw veggies they love. I'm having a hard time with raw meat though. But I'm getting there! I used to be the type that if my dog would eat it, it's good for them. One time we bought Mileva this cheap @$$ stuff at Tractor Supply. $8 for 50lbs. She refused to TOUCH it. After doing some research we realized how incredibly crappy it was. Smart dog. lol We threw out almost all of it. Anyway, sorry for the ..

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old February 4th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I agree with what prin said

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM

#3 for me too! Are there kcals available? Not that it would really matter in this case, everything else doesn;t stack up!
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM

It's 364kcal/cup. I actually feed Boo more Evo RM than I fed of #3.
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Flyball Mom

But when you give eggs and yogurt are the eggs raw or cooked and is the yogurt plain?

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Feeding more of RM yet more calories per cup

Hmm Prin

That's interesting, I wonder if that food is using the calculation for determining Kcals and not a "feeding trial" like RM (at least I think the use the actuals as they do feeding trials??????)
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM

I have no idea. To me the most logical thing would be that he was absorbing one better than the other, but that wouldn't make sense because it's much grainier than the RM. Maybe Boo just digests grains well.
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

erykah, I know what #3 is as well, have you ever asked if the place that sells if they would bring in a different brand of food? If they are able to get number 3, they should have no trouble asking the exact same distributor( that supplies #3 and who also supplies most other brands we buy in Ontario) to send a food choice you like
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

There is only one petstore that I have found that sells number 3 in this general area.... I talked to them about EVO RM but they say that they cant just order a food because one person wants it and well TO... they actually didnt know what I was talking about
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog food poll

Prin Sorry

What are you feeding your doggies now? I thought I read you were feeding Barking at the moon but now I see you are feeding Boo EVO Rm.
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

i dunno what#3 is:sad:
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
Prin Sorry

What are you feeding your doggies now? I thought I read you were feeding Barking at the moon but now I see you are feeding Boo EVO Rm.
Boo is getting EvoRm and Jemma is getting BATM. I gave up feeding them both the same thing. I'd like to, but Jemma did so poorly on RM and Boo gets unbelievable gas on BATM.

Ordering a bag specially is hard sometimes because the store ends up expecting you to commit to buying a bag each order or something and then if your dog doesn't tolerate it... But if they can get one solid gold, they should be able to stick a bag of BATM in there once in a while too.
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

ummm??? whats BATM?
Meik is the only kibble boy here, and he's eating wellness right now, he's doing much better on that food and i plan on keeping him on it until his appointment.
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Solid Gold Barking at the Moon.
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/produ...id=81&code=120
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

AHhhhh! thanks for clearing that one up Prin.
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Wow, wellness changed their formula!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD super5Mix Chicken
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Rice Bran (from brown rice), Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Whitefish, Tomatoes (natural source of lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Carrots, Apples, Spinach, Blueberries, Sweet Potatoes, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Super5Mix Chicken
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Rice Bran (from brown rice), Whitefish, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride
They moved a lot of the fast fibers down and moved the slow fibers up... Looks like people complained of soft stools or something. They also bumped the whitefish down. It used to be significant enough to slightly help the coat, but I'm not sure it will now.
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
ummm??? whats BATM?
only the best food EVAR!!! ok, maybe I'm exagerating...but after a year of cleaning up splats, we're finally happy poop with it, so I worship the turkoise shiny bag!!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Prin..... take a look at your post and the ingredients listed above lol
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

hehehhe, I already knew before Prin posted tha it was wellness!! I also know #3 and #1 (we've tried almost every food out there....but we were never desperate enough to try #2 or #4 )

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

The poll isnt doing so well here as it is on other message boards lol, we're all too smart for this....