Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old May 15th, 2013, 09:22 AM
banned user

Angry Wtf!

Some trainer, she is aware that Moses has tummy issues. I had been given recipe, then she sold me this food so he would gain weight. Now he has increased diarrhea and she refuses to respond for help. My poor boy is withering away
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:52 AM

What exactly is his stomach problem? has a vet done any tests to tell you exactly what the problem is?

If I know my dog has some issues with foods, I wouldn't just give him anything a trainer recommends, while they may be knowledgeable in some areas they are certainly not nutritionists, heck, even vets sometimes are not very knowledgeable in this area.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jull View Post
What exactly is his stomach problem? has a vet done any tests to tell you exactly what the problem is?

If I know my dog has some issues with foods, I wouldn't just give him anything a trainer recommends, while they may be knowledgeable in some areas they are certainly not nutritionists, heck, even vets sometimes are not very knowledgeable in this area.
I agree , I asked my vet about dog foods and she said she was not trained in that area. If the OP dog had diarrhea for a few days and is "withering away" she should bring her dog to the vet to find out what is going on.
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I agree , I asked my vet about dog foods and she said she was not trained in that area. If the OP dog had diarrhea for a few days and is "withering away" she should bring her dog to the vet to find out what is going on.
Its so wrong that hey don't train them on this subject, as many times the food you feed your dog is the root of many problems! I do find it though, that holistic vets do tend to know about nutrition more.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

YOu need to put your dog on a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken or hamburger for a few days. Let him get his belly back to normal. If you know he has issues you should find a nutritionist, and maybe consider looking at a raw diet also. It is more natural and less stuff to mess up his gut if it's sensitive. But I would search out some professional help.
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:30 AM
banned user

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
YOu need to put your dog on a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken or hamburger for a few days. Let him get his belly back to normal. If you know he has issues you should find a nutritionist, and maybe consider looking at a raw diet also. It is more natural and less stuff to mess up his gut if it's sensitive. But I would search out some professional help.
I have done that rinsed hamburger really really good and still diarrhea going to try chicken thanks. Woman suggested after I phoned again maintaining his normal diet and giving him this product Smack one tbsp. per feeding and not to feed what she originally recommended. This is to help with weight gain Smack is a raw diet I would have to go to package most ingredients fruit, veggies and meat being main thanks everybody
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:34 AM
banned user

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jull View Post

Absoloutely agree digestive issue arrggg
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmin12 View Post
I have done that rinsed hamburger really really good and still diarrhea going to try chicken thanks. Woman suggested after I phoned again maintaining his normal diet and giving him this product Smack one tbsp. per feeding and not to feed what she originally recommended. This is to help with weight gain Smack is a raw diet I would have to go to package most ingredients fruit, veggies and meat being main thanks everybody
I would still take the dog to the doctor - why is he not gaining weight? what is missing form his diet? maybe he needs the help of some digestive enzymes? is he allergic to some foods? what is the cause of all these problems? so many questions and we can only guess, personally I would recommend to go to a holistic vet as they treat the dog as a whole to find the root of the problem, not just one issue at a time. But that is my personal preference.

Old May 16th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I still feel a vet or holistic vet would be your first step, but make sure if you feed raw food of any nature that you do not feed kibble at the same time. You can do kibble in the morning and raw at night, but not together. They each take different enzymes to break down and digest and you will just make him more sick if you mix them.
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:57 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
I still feel a vet or holistic vet would be your first step, but make sure if you feed raw food of any nature that you do not feed kibble at the same time. You can do kibble in the morning and raw at night, but not together. They each take different enzymes to break down and digest and you will just make him more sick if you mix them.
Are you saying prebiotic enzymes because I give him those. He is growing taller, this raw food diet as per trainer mentioned I should sprinkle a little on his kibble I also give him rice have been for a long time. He is always very famished. Whether that is puppy growing to quickly or digestive issues. I could not afford a holistic Vet.
Old May 18th, 2013, 07:07 PM

I'd be curious to know what exactly you are feeding your puppy - including brand name, amounts, etc.
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmin12 View Post
Are you saying prebiotic enzymes because I give him those. He is growing taller, this raw food diet as per trainer mentioned I should sprinkle a little on his kibble I also give him rice have been for a long time. He is always very famished. Whether that is puppy growing to quickly or digestive issues. I could not afford a holistic Vet.
have you had your dog checked for worms or maybe you're not feeding him enough food if he is not gaining weight.
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

You would not sprinkle "raw food" on your kibble. I'm with LL, what exactly is this that your trainer told you to feed?