Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:31 PM

Cat Panting

I have had cats in the past, but never one that pants as much as my kitten does. She will run around and chase my kids for a long time. I can imagine she is tired, but do all cats pant alot?? She will run around as long as the kids will. I have to make them stop, then she will lay down and fall asleep for a little while. Then she is ready to go again. Is this normal??? I have seen articles and I do know that dogs pant instead of sweat. Is this the same thing?? Thanks
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

It's not normal for cats to pant this way. Unlike dogs, cats pant only when very overheated or stressed.

Who is chasing who? If your kids are chasing the kitten to the point that she is panting, then you need to have a time out. It would be very unusual for a kitten to chase after kids and exert itself to the point of panting. Kittens and cats need a great deal of sleep and rest, and cats also get dehydrated rather easily.

You need to stop the play before the kitten is panting.
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:55 PM

Cat Panting

The kitten is chasing the kids. They will get one of her toys and run up and down the hall. The toy has a string on it with a catnip fish. We also have a circle in the house from the livingroom, dining room, and kitchen. They run that too. The kitten will act like she wants to lay down but if the kids are still going, she will not stop either. Like I said before, I make them stop so she will. I am more worried about the fact that she starting panting at all. I think she is really enjoying it. She loves to play with the kids. Also want to add, the cat eats and drinks alot!!!! I fill her bowls a couple times a day. I just had her spayed and the vet did not say she had any medical problems. That was only 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by mommy*to*2; February 15th, 2005 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Add to it
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

We sometimes play with our cats with a fishing rod and a rubber worm tied to the end, and when we do all 5 cats will chase the worm until they pant!
thats when we know it's time to stop, because they just don't seem to want to stop on thier own even when they are panting they want to play more!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:00 PM

Cat Panting

That is almost exactly the toy my kids are playing with Kia. It is a fishing pole with a fish on the end. She wants to keep chasing them as long as they will run. I have to take the toy away so Kia can rest.
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

we do the same, we have to put it away also so they can rest.
We have never had any health issues with our cats because of the playing till they pant. and my oldest is 17!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~