Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 26th, 2012, 08:56 AM

new cat new hosue how long until she can go outside?

Hi everyone, I just took in a cat a couple nights ago, she is approx 2 years old. She was a pet at the nursing home I work at but the home had to get rid of her because she bit a resident on the leg, after the resident ran over her tail with her wheel chair. The Doc said she had to go, so I brought her home with me. At the nursing home she was an indoor outdoor cat, and she prefers to be outdoors. I live in a duplex with 2 other cats downstairs at the neighbours. they have been sniffing eachother through the door and the screens on the windows, the first few times our new cat saw the other two resident cats she was growling and hissed but now they seem to just smell eachothers sent and stare at each other through the windows and doors. Is this a good sign that they will be able to get along? How long should I wait until letting her go out, explore and meet her new neighbouring feline friends? She is eating good and using her littler box, she also comes when I call her name, but she has only been here a couple days so I dont want to rush things. She is acting like she wants out she paws at the door and follows me to the door everytime I go out! So should I put her on a leash and give her a tour of her new yard or just let her go and explore it for herself? Any advice would be great
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley88 View Post
Hi everyone, I just took in a cat a couple nights ago, she is approx 2 years old. She was a pet at the nursing home I work at but the home had to get rid of her because she bit a resident on the leg, after the resident ran over her tail with her wheel chair. The Doc said she had to go, so I brought her home with me. At the nursing home she was an indoor outdoor cat, and she prefers to be outdoors. I live in a duplex with 2 other cats downstairs at the neighbours. they have been sniffing eachother through the door and the screens on the windows, the first few times our new cat saw the other two resident cats she was growling and hissed but now they seem to just smell eachothers sent and stare at each other through the windows and doors. Is this a good sign that they will be able to get along? How long should I wait until letting her go out, explore and meet her new neighbouring feline friends? She is eating good and using her littler box, she also comes when I call her name, but she has only been here a couple days so I dont want to rush things. She is acting like she wants out she paws at the door and follows me to the door everytime I go out! So should I put her on a leash and give her a tour of her new yard or just let her go and explore it for herself? Any advice would be great
You need to keep your cat in the house for a least 3 weeks before you let it out . She need to feel at home before she it let out. She could take off if she does not realize your house is her new home. I would not let a cat where I live as we have too many wild animals passing through our yard.
Raccoons will kill cats and eat them. Your cat really has no street smarts and should kept as an inside cat.
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:22 AM

The nursing home where the cat came from was on a busy street she is very traffic savy and there were lots of skunks racoons ect. She spent most of her life outdoors, and people bring in their pets to the nursing home, and there were different people in and out all the time. I know she needs to be kept in but wasn't sure for how long, I'll give her a few weeks first and then let her go out. Thanks
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:20 AM

Personally, I would keep the cat indoors and not let it out at all. As a member of a rescue organization, I have seen things happen to cats who were either dumped, lost or let outside that would turn your stomach. Hit by cars and left with broken legs, pelvis, fur burnt off after being dragged. Cats who have been shot with BB guns, collars and harnesses that have grown into their flesh. Sadly, I could go on and on. Please don't risk this cat's life, needlessly.