Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Momof6

Calcium Oxalate Bladder stones

Well, the vet has confirmed that my 4yr old maltese/chihuahua has calcium oxalate bladder stones. After speaking with her (she's a SUPER vet) and checking on the internet..I'm leaning toward surgery vs taking my chances with the diet for shrinking them. Has anyone had any success with using diet or medicine for shrinking these stones..or had them recur after being surgically removed? I don't like the idea of putting her under, but don't want her to suffer any additional pain if she suffers a blockage.
Thank you,
baberuth1ca
Manitoba
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Goes back a long way, but in 1989 our mini Dachshund had 4 bladder stones removed at same time as he had full back and neck surgery related to Dachshund disc disease. He was one giant staple. He was only 3 at the time - and apparently we had adopted him with the stones already forming - we found out about them when we came home and found him peeing blood. That was a shock. After the surgery he had to eat Hill's canned C/D - for his type of stones - for 6 months - horrible looking stuff. After 6 months he was X-Rayed and no additional crystals were forming so he was allowed to resume a normal diet - we were just careful with purines and oxalics. Coincidentally, I had kidney stones at exactly the same time - so I knew all about the purine business. Our current dog, an Eskimo, is prone to stones, but so far so good. Personally, I would have the surgery done to get rid of the stones, feed my dog the Hill's food (I know a lot of people don't like Hill's, but it worked and was a no brainer) and then do the X-Ray bit after a few months. Then if bladder is clear, change food. If my Eskie should develop stones, this is what we would do with him - and if crystals should develop - then he would have to follow an appropriate diet for the rest of his life. One thing for sure, should he start peeing blood, I would get him to the vet fast, but I wouldn't be in panic mode. Hope everything works out for your pup.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

In cats, diet will not shrink calcium oxalate stones, so I doubt it would in dogs. It is struvite stones that you may be thinking about, they can be shrunk with acidifing the diet. However it is believed that an acidic diet causes the calcium stones.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM

I have no experience with stones in my dog. But I do hope that your dog will respond to the medication. Some vet will recommend flushing out of the stones and if it does not work, surgery is next in line. I think it is better rather than letting your dog suffer when obstruction happens.
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Momof6

Scheduled surgery

I called yesterday and booked her surgery for Tuesday morning (next week). I haven't read anywhere that there have been positive results from diet alone..and I just don't want to risk it. The x-ray showed 3 in there and they'll x-ray her again on the day of her surgery. They'll send her stones to Guelph(I think) to open them up and make sure that they are calcium oxalate, and not just coated in calcium. Then, the vet and I will be able to figure her diet and checkups. Fingers crossed that she won't get them again. Thank you to everyone who responded.
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck and I sure hope your pup doesn't develop the stones again. I have to tell you, a Dachshund on the C/D was not a pretty sight since they are the gourmets of gourmands. An Eskie on C/D would also be awful - but I would prevail.