Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 1st, 2008, 12:33 PM

I need some opinions......

Sorry if this may be long....My dog Buster is a 9 yr old cockapoo. This week he was diagnosed with Immune mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA). You can read about our struggle in my IMHA thread on this board.

There is no one way to find out how he got this horrible disease. My vet is pretty certain that he got it as a result from his latest vaccine which was 3 weeks ago, plus, cockers are at high risk for this disease.

BUT........something also happened 12 days ago. It was Sunday, July 20th, and someone came to our door. When my husband opened it, it Buster ran out because he happened to notice a couple walking by our house with a Beagle. This Beagle was wearing a muzzle. So my hubby shouts out to Buster who by then has approached the Beagle. Trees were somewhat in my husband view, but he could see the 2 dogs going in circles trying to sniff each others behinds. The person at our door was a neighbour with her 2 old who came to visit my dogs, because the little guy loves them. Needless to say, as my husband is shouting out for Buster to come, he (and the neighbour visiting) hear a loud "thump", and then Buster Yelp.

The man walking the beagle kicked Buster!!!! That thump was his kick!! Of course my husband lost it and went after the guy with a few words, the man claimed he feared for his life as Buster came running. My husband apologized that he came running out, but said he had no right to kick him, and he should not be a pet owner if he kicks dogs!! To make a long story short they exchanged several words, my husband ending it with "you are no better than the **** you are holding in your hand" to this guy.

Here's the deal.....Buster wasn't bruised or anything, he wasn't limping, didn't seem hurt.............But I just can't shake that this IMHA thing followed this kick so soon afterwards...........my question to you all or those of you who are familiar with IMHA, is do you think that the kick could have contributed to the onset of his immune system breaking down?? Was it trauma and does trauma contribute to IMHA onset?? My vet doensn't think so but I can't shake the feeling............maybe I just need to hear more opinions.........Thanks so much for listening. Sorry I can't describe IMHA, it's too long but please look it up if you can help.

Karen
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM
Live well, laugh often

I'm sorry that you are going through this . I would doubt that the kick had anything to do with this especially as your vet doesn't think they are related. I think it is natural to want to find a cause and be able to blame someone and this guy definately was a jerk for kicking your dog.

Hope things get better .
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I don't think it was related, either, Karen. In my experience, dogs are more stressed by changes in their own home than they are by a chance encounter, no matter how unpleasant. And it would be chronic stress that would affect the immune system if stress was a factor in Buster's IMHA.

If there were internal bleeding from the kick, then Buster could be anemic from the bleeding. But I'm assuming that his symptoms are not consistent with internal bleeding? The vet should be able to detect the difference.

You don't want to hear my opinion about the man that kicked Buster...

for continued improvement in your little guy!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
Mom to Harley

As hazelrunpack already stated the only thing that comes to my mind would be internal bleeding from the kick. Internal bleeding is for sure a cause of anemia. But again, I assume that your vet has ruled that out. Have you asked him about this?