Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM

9 yr. old Bichon Frise sick?

I have a 9 yr. old male bichon frise pure-bred and in the last week or so he hasn't stopped whining and has now chewed his back and hind leg to create a scab on his back. I have given him a bath using special dog-cortisone shampoo and have him using a cone but the itch doesn't seem to go away. He is also rubbing his head on the ground a lot and whenever somebody touches his head he twists his head away and sometimes even snaps at the person. He also does not sleep a lot at nights but continues to whine and keep my whole house awake. Should I take him to the vet? Is there anything else I can do?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Definitely take him to the vet. There's something going on and until you get it diagnosed, you won't be able to help your buddy.

Good luck! Please keep us posted with what the vet says!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

9 yr. old

If his behaviour is persisting and nothing you have done is relieving his issues then definitely Yes to a vet visit - better late than not at all.
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Took him to the vet today. The scab on his back turned out to be infected from over-licking. He has been put on an antibiotic called clavamox125 for now and then he has to be put under on monday to get the scab removed. The vet said that the pain in his face is just tempermental and there isn't anything wrong with it. Thanks for the help.

ps. whats the best way to feed a pill to a dog?
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Sorry your pup is not feeling great....but glad you found out what it is!

Some dogs will allow you to just open their mouth and just pop the pill back near their throat. If not, you can try coating it in peanut butter of cheeze whiz and if he doesn't like those, you can buy "pill pockets" at Petsmart.

Good luck!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Mom to Harley

My 12 year old bichon doesn't like taking pills either. But since he has been sick a great deal in the last 6 months I have learned how to give them to him. (I can't use peanut butter or cheese whiz because my dog has pancreatitis and they have too much fat.) What I do and it works quite well, i put him between me and the arm of the couch so he can't back away from me. To open His mouth is a trick to learn but the vet showed me how. Don't pry it. If you gently push on his bottom lip he will open his mouth and then you can hold it open. Drop the pill in there and try to get it to the back of the throat and he will swallow it. If I don't get it back far enough he will spit it out, but usually it is easy enough to drop in to the back. It takes a bit of practice, but it does work

I also had success crushing up Clavomox and mixing it with a little strawberry jam. Harley loved it. The last time he was on pills though it was a really bad tasting one and he wouldn't touch anything with the pill in it.