Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM

2 yr old Bichon X with heart murmer

My vet just heard a heart murmer on my 2 yr old bichon x. I'd like another opinion on where to first proceed to decide the severity of this issue. The vet first suggested to to a heartworm test. We live in Labrador, and there is no heartworm here. We spent last summer in the northeastern US, and upon return to Labrador she received a dose of Revolution. (I might add that the heartworm test costs $135 because of courrier fee to the lab in PEI). Would my money be better spent on a chest xray or ultrasound? Do you think there is even a risk of heartworm since she has had the Revolution?

She appears healthy, active and eats well. She has an occasional cough, particularly in the mornings. I understand this can either be a symptom of heartworm or heart disease. She is currently taking antibiotics for an anal gland infection. How would you suggest to proceed? I have only one vet to choose from in my town and I'd appreciate your suggestions.
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Mom to Harley

My Bichon has had a heart murmur for years and it doens't hold him back at all. His is a low grade heart murmur. I do pay close attention to his breathing and panting. If he ever shows signs of increased panting or if his breathing patterns change we make a trip the vet as these could be sings that the murmur is getting worse. So far nothing. He is 12 years old and still quite active.