Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 30th, 2005, 08:42 PM

tell me what you think about poodle mixes (all the rage !)

Hey all you PL"s, this is probably more of a rant although a nice one. Could anyone comment on what the heck is going on with all these poodle poms, shnoodles cockapoos ect.. I realize its a money grab, and people are being sucked in but where does it end? I got sucked in, (at a local pet store), that has since gone because we protested about this place and it was in the local paper. I purchased a cocapoo not because I didn't know better, because I did' BUT!, I went in the store every day for a month and saw this dog slowly getting sicker looking. Took him home and to the vet. He had worms, ear infection, a heart murmur, you name it. The vet told me don't expect this dog to live cuz I don't think he will. I nursed him night and day eye drop fed him ect.. My friends said I was nuts, and renamed him my baby grand cuz thats how much I had spent on him at that point. Alass He passed but with much love around him. I don't regret any of it because of that, better than dieing alone Pooker :sad:
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Personal servant to Joey

It must be hard seeing a sick puppy at a pet store and wanting to get it out of the enviornment, but its the poor moms and dads of these pups that are suffering even more. Just go to some puppymill web sites and see what they go through. The best thing is to not buy any dog from a puppy store ever. Now there is another spot in that store for another puppy mill pup that will probably be just as sick as yours is. If people stopped buying these dogs from the pet stores then the puppymills might eventually go out of business. I am sorry that happened to you but next time please go to either a shelter or a reputable breeder. :sad:
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:13 PM

I think people are sold on the untrue "hypo-allergenic" aspect of poodles so (insert plural bad name here) breed mixes of them for profit and sell them to uneducated buyers.

I don't get it. Poodles are by far not the easiest dogs to train and handle, whether they're the small version or the big.

The Laberneses that Mira "invented" are a more sensible mix for the purpose they use them for (seeing eye dogs). If the bernese calms the lab side down and the lab side adds friendliness (among other things), you'd have an ideal working dog for the public... Except for the bernese hair...
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Could anyone comment on what the heck is going on with all these poodle poms, shnoodles cockapoos ect
It's a fad, and people want what they want, and don't know or don't care where the "product" comes from, or the suffering that went into creating it.

If the naive or uncaring are willing to fork over 1000$ for a mutt, you can be sure there are MANY unscrupulous people dying to supply them.

I can understand why you bought your dog. Unfortunately, one was saved but 5 others will take his place.

Where will it end? Only when people stop buying. You say you knew better, yet still put money into the hands of the millers. Profits are the ONLY thing the puppymills and backyard breeders care about.

All we can do is stay out of petstores that sell live animals, and do all our business at pet supply stores. Be sure to tell the petstore why you will no longer patronize them.

No Puppy Mills Canada
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a Bichon Poddle cross.

I diddnt get him because poodle cross's were popular, tho I later found out they were

I got him because the owner would have probably otherwise given him to a rescue or shelter, and I couldnt bare to see such a gentle pup end up in probably a few homes.

so I took him into my home,

I cants say my experience with him has been bad, hes become the perfect companion to myself and my children.

I definatly wouldnt seek out to buy a crossbred specifically usually Id go to a shelter and adopt a dog.

Sam just fell into our lives, and we couldnt be happier for it.

Im sorry that people feel the need to seek out designer dogs, and dogs that could be bred irresponsibly.

but many people do this uninformed, I had no idea my dog was one of these types of dogs untill I came here

Knowledge is Power

Hopefully the more we inform people the more people will choose to make better decisions.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:12 AM

Kudos to you, Pooker, for protesting and getting that pet store shut down!

At least there's one less place for these millers to peddle their wares. Personally, I won't even buy so much as fish food from any store that stocks dogs or cats (unless they're just displaying them for a rescue or shelter, that is). I won't set foot into any of those places anymore because I know I am the type to either bring them all home or cry my eyes out all night because I couldn't. I'm sorry your pup had to suffer so much but, like you said, at least he experienced some love in his short life and didn't die alone. :sad:
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all your responses, When I said I knew better,I meant because he was so sick looking. It was only after Benny died that I got wize to the whole horrendous puppymill thing. And thats when some of my friends and I protested in the mall in front of the pet store. Then the paper did an artical and eventually they shut down. So ya live and learn. My baby now (Jack) is from a rescue. :love: I will never set foot in a petshop again, unless I was protesting again. I'd have no problem doing that. The BAS---RDS I still miss my Benny :sad: Pooker
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Good for you for taking a stand and getting the store shut down!!!!
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:56 AM

I bought my Malamute Husky X from a pet store too. I didn't know better, I had moved here from Australia, I was so sad and lonely and went and bought myself a 'friend'. Our other dog was my husbands first and I wanted my very own 'friend'. Later, sometime later, I heard about the puppy mill business and pet stores etc.... I was totally horrified !!! You know, I don't even go and look at the puppies in the pet stores now.... It makes me want to cry and I just want to save them all but my house isn't big enough !!!!!! I guess that is so true, what is written in the postings ....we buy from the store and save one puppy making room for another 1 or more to be put in there.... But I say ... good on you for saving that puppy and although I would never buy from a store again ..... I don't regret 'saving' my beautiful Bailey !!
Oh, and I have to add, some of these Poodle X puppies are really quite beautiful !! I see many of them in the Pet Store where I work (Only adoption pets thru this store!!) and although I wouldn't own one (I am a large breed freak!) they really are little cutsies !!
Old June 10th, 2005, 10:10 PM
banned user

I Agree!

We bought my late mini poodle Suzy from a pet store in 1987... then nobody knew better... especially me... I was 5. I lost her last year and she was the best trained, most loving companion. Poodles are wonderful dogs... though some people view them to be "snappy and yappy"... like any breed, it's how you train them because Suzy was neither. I miss her everyday... however, I did adopt Maximus my American Pit Bull Terrier a few months after and he's helped me fill the void of loosing her. Again, another breed people view poorly but it's how you raise them. He is the sweetest most intelligent little (or actually not so little) gentleman.

I would NEVER support a pet store again even by buying fish food, lol. The problem is that SO many people either have no clue or see that cute face and cannot help themselves.

Also, I don't agree with these trend dogs like Labradooles or any poodle cross. Why breed dogs that are not a recognized breed? It should be illegal! With so many animals sitting in shelters the only dogs that should be bred should be show dogs to keep the breed standard... not these messes of hybrid breeds. It's such nonsense. I would only adopt or get a dog from a breeder.... also- I hate people with pet store dogs who won't nueter/spay! SO STUPID!! I am ranting too now!