Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

oh Mr. President

So, I think by now everyone knows that the president has chosen to go through a breeder, rather then adopt a dog from a shelter or breed rescue. Yes, Mr. President contribute to the pet overpopulation, instead of giving a homeless animal a home. I thought at least he was going to adopt an animal from a shelter, even if it is was only for a PR issue, but no he didn't even do that.

Lost a little respect for him because of it.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; April 14th, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I share in your disappointment, but I am hopefully he will think about getting another dog which will be from a shelter.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Skylar's Farm

I heard that the dog was a gift. He had already decided on a Portie pup.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Sometimes we cannot even persuade a family friend or family member to adopt an animal in need.

Chin up everyone. Even though we are all disappointed, this will blow over as all other things in life do.

Hope this 'gift' is a good fit.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

when they deem it time to spay their pup as responsible pet owners do, then hopefully it will teach others to follow their example, I think so far they have done wonders (from a canadian stand point) their organic garden, having kids help with it, I think you'll see that with them owning a pup and being in the public eye will help change the attitude of fly by night pet owners. But I was dissapointed they didn't go to a shelter.
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I'm happy his family has gotten a dog, I'm happy he didn't get a designer breed, and it's a decision that's been a long time in the making for them. If they chose to get a dog from a breeder then that's a decision they have every right to make.
Until laws are changed regarding spaying, neutering, byb's and puppy mills, there are always going to be dogs and cats in shelters. There is NOTHING wrong with supporting responsible breeders.

That's my feeling on the matter.

Cindy
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
when they deem it time to spay their pup as responsible pet owners do, then hopefully it will teach others to follow their example, I think so far they have done wonders (from a canadian stand point) their organic garden, having kids help with it, I think you'll see that with them owning a pup and being in the public eye will help change the attitude of fly by night pet owners. But I was dissapointed they didn't go to a shelter.
Bo is reportedly already neutered.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:05 PM

ACO22 I totally agree and I am very disappointed too.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

ACO22

I am so happy to hear about your Humane Society. I wish they were all like yours.

There are so many good things that go on, but we only here about the bad things. Thank goodness there are wonderful people like yourself working for the animals.

Keep up the good work

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
ACO22

I am so happy to hear about your Humane Society. I wish they were all like yours.

There are so many good things that go on, but we only here about the bad things. Thank goodness there are wonderful people like yourself working for the animals.

Keep up the good work
I second this sentiment.
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I'm a softy

I heard this pup has been in several homes already...

I was hoping he would rescue.. but i did JUMP up and down when I dound out he was not getting a labradoodle.. Seriously.. that's all we need, more people believing that a 'oodle' anything is a 'breed' when it is a MUTT, and encourage more of that kind of irresponsible breeding..

If this is the breed they really wanted, if it came from an ethical breeder. And it really needed a home after being shuffled so many times already, then I am happy. It is ok to choose a purebred dog. Any ethical breeder I have dealt with does have it in the contract that the dog is to be spayed or neutered..

I don't think this will cause a portie population explosion, like I was worried about the doodle mutt possibility.. so all in all I am happy. I think his girls will be in love, and this dog will be their best friend, good match for all of them.

The reason I wanted him to rescue, was not for him, but hoping that it would encourage others to do the same. I guess it was unfair of us to put that job on him. That he would be picking a pet for his family for the reason of saving others. For me that is a prefect reason, but for him.. guess not.. I don't think he had a chance, no matter what he did people would have been outraged..
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Live well, laugh often

I am very glad they didn't pick a labradoodle . The labradoodle fad is already at full tilt and most people think they are "hypo allergenic" but really they don't get that way for generations which probably causes a lot of "returns" as people have to deal with regular coat issues . I''m sure this will make PWD a new target but hopefully one that is a bit harder for the BYB crowd as it is not a common dog.

I must admit I love PWD (my old neighbours had one and he totally made me love them) and have wanted one for quite some time. We looked for one when we were considering another dog and they are very difficult to find.

Bo is adorable and I think they were responsible. It is not the ideal situation that rescuing would be but I think this was a pretty good compromise.
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Hate to say this but we had a PWD in rescue so they are in the system. Just had to say this.
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes the dog was a gift from Senator Kennedy who owns Porties but does not breed them. And he isn't a puppy but a dog that was returned to the breeder.

I was happy that they didn't go with the other "breed" that was talked about in connection with this. There was a lot of talk about a labradoodle. I'm not an expert but I don't think anyone can guarantee that a labradoodle wouldn't aggravate an allergy.
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
-

Some have commented : "If they had searched long enough ....."

Wow , this is the president of United States , I think he has more important issues to deal with , than to hang out in shelters ..... the president did NOT commit a crime by taking this dog , jeez , give him a break !!!!
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Compromised account

Frenchy, I agree with you. He does have more important issues to deal with.

aslan, I agree with you. Not every breeder should be treated the same.

BenMax, I agree with you. It doesn't matter, its done.

L4H, I agree with you. My heart breaks for each and every poor soul out there.

14+, I agree with you as well. We all could have done better.

Aco22, guess what, I agree with you as well...There are people out there, who present themselves as reputable, while in fact they are nowhere near that description.

Jim, I agree with you as well, I think they could have done better had they invested the time ..

Sugarcatmom, I agree with you very much, it is not all for $$ for alot of breeders out there.

Blackdog, you have an excellent point, but I don't really see how a labradoodle is going to be less trainable to work than a lab, or how a mixed-breed dog is less possible to be trained to work. I think that is all about a specific dog. Not every sheppard is a good guard dog and not every lab is a good "eye-seeing" dog. The general idea is there, but I don't discount the possibility that given a chance and a proper training the mix-breeds would do just as well.

clm, I agree with you: Black and white thinking is truly a bad thing. Gotta have all those shades of grey in between. And I think we gotta start with ourselves first, before pointing at others.

brat, I agree with you, breeding should be postponed until some of the situation has been resolved. and would like to add, that its not as simple as that, it has to come from the law as well as the public.

Copperbelle - yes, I agree with you. They did research the breed and made a clear and conscious decision about the breed they wanted. That is more than most people do.

Sylvie - I agree with you, kudos to Aco22 and to others involved in various rescues and shelters for all your hard work, don't lose hope and keep your spirits high!

And now: !!!

Have I missed anyone?
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:06 PM

Blackdog, you have an excellent point, but I don't really see how a labradoodle is going to be less trainable to work than a lab, or how a mixed-breed dog is less possible to be trained to work.

It's more about inherent ability and drive moreso then training. A good trainer can bring out the best in a dog and train it to do a task......whether the dog has the ability to do it well or not is entirely up to genetics. I'm not saying mixed breeds cannot be trained to excel in careers, many do and do it very well....as you said, it comes down to the individual dog and his or her drives. That being said, there is more consitancy in a purebred dogs tempermant. What I mean by that is, you are more likely to find a dog suitable to do the work in a litter of purebreds whos bloodline has been excelling at the said task for many generations. I'm not saying every shepherd can gaurd, and every GP will protect a flock from predators.....but you are more inclined to find an individual suitable for the job within breeds specifically designed for that task. Purebreds also have the advantage of recorded lineage, this is a great bonus for anyone looking for a working dog. Proper research of a pedigree only increase the odds that you will get what you are looking for.

All of that being said, even with extensive research on the bloodlines and the right "breed" there is still a huge possiblilty that the dog will not be suitable for the work..as ultimately it depends on the individual dog and his drives.

It comes down to the handler as well. I have not met many serious proffesionals willing to take on a mixed breed.....too many question marks about the dog. But of course, a serious proffesional is not going to turn down a good dog either, be it mixed or pure!

I guess it all comes down to personal choice, but I think a quick look at the dogs doing the real work prove that we still need purebreds, and they do their respective jobs very well.

Not every sheppard is a good guard dog and not every lab is a good "eye-seeing" dog. The general idea is there, but I don't discount the possibility that given a chance and a proper training the mix-breeds would do just as well.

It ultimately comes down to 3 things, genetics, training, enviorment. A good working dog cannot have one without the other. Plain and simple, mixed or pure. Being mixed makes it impossible to explore genetics, you basically have to 'hope for the best'. Training a mixed breed for certain specialized jobs is a crapshoot and not often done for obvious reasons

Last edited by Blackdog22; April 15th, 2009 at 11:18 PM.