Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 8th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Skateboarders

We were standing in the front yard waving goodbye to my mom and Corky when a boy went by on a skateboard. Den-Den was on a leash, but he went nuts, growling and barking! He did this before but I attributed it to being startled. I've had him since a puppy so I know he hasn't had any bad experiences in his past. What do you think it is about the skateboard he doesn't like? He hasn't been aggressive when boys were on foot.
Old August 8th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe he just doesn't like the sound of the wheels on the concrete. LOL!! I know I hate it!!!
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sadie HATES skateboards!!! She will do anything to pull me away from the noise. A lot of dogs dont like them. If you work at it you can work it outta DenDen. I wonder if any of this new behaviour stemmed from the attack.

BTW any updates?
Old August 8th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Senior Contributor

He didn't like skateboards before the attack.

Nothing new except it's been quiet. Haven't seen more than 2 dogs at a time. I think they're keeping them inside most of the time, which is a good thing all the way around. Den-Den's wounds have healed completely. You'd never know he was ever injured. I can't believe how fast he healed. Healthy dog - great vet!!
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You forgot to say 'excellent' mama !
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor

When Bentley was still a pup he ran after a skateboard yapping (not barking) and growling. He runs after anything, including quickly moving people, bikes, rollerbladers, dogs, sometimes cars, birds gophers you name it. I think he just likes to chase and have fun.
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Thanks Luba!
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Senior Contributor

maybe get an old board and run it up and down your driveway occassionally to desensitise him to it.
cahrlie is not fazed by it, but i used to skate myself a good 14yrs ago so we still have friends and boards around the place. i used to know an american dog (wonder if he barked in accent), his name was bob barker, any way bobs mum and dad were big skaters, they didnt have a car for years as they didnt need it. well bob loved going skating, he would go daily, until that is, he did something rude and was baned (and grounded for a week on top of that, poor dog). so bob would sit there on the porch, and all of a sudden get up and run out the gate and down the street. we could never hear anything, but bob would run about a mile and find the boys on their way home skating along the road. he could hear them coming for miles and would pick where they were and go there. now that dog loved skating.
of topic, dogs who love certain things and noises associated, well i know a certain little girl that goes crazy when a 1973 triumph Bonville (motorbike) goes past, we had a mate years back phil, and he rode one, well she loved phil and now if she hears one she gets really excited (there is less than 15 of these bikes in australia, but several in sydney and the state) so we dont see them too often but have seen a couple in the past few years, talk about a memory for noise, yay doggys