Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Question:
My cat is scratching up our furniture. I don't want to declaw him. I have tried a few things like putting up various scratching posts, carpets, and other places to scratch...He uses those but he LOVES our couches.

Is there some type of spray that cats hate that I could spray my couch with? Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
Marissa N.

Answer:

There is no real easy answer to that question and it is for that reason that so many cats are declawed. Declawing is done mainly to stop scratching the furniture but is also used to prevent family members being scratched. Since it seems that the latter is not really a main problem, you should look at learning to trim your cat's claws every 2-3 weeks. That will be a big help to start.

You can also try a spray called 'Bitter Apple' which you could get from most pet stores and spray this on your furniture. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Martin Slome DVM
Centre Street Animal Hospital
Thornhill, Ontario, L4J 7Y3
Tel: (905) 771-9855
Old July 15th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Wink Cat clawing furniture

I have tried numerous tricks and sprays to stop my cats of 16 years from scratching my sofa. I have finally found a product that seems to work. It is plastic claw covers that are glued on the nail. You simple cut the nail, put a drop inside the cover and put the cover over the nail. As the nail grows the cover will drop off. For the fashion cat you can even get them in different colors. You can find this at Pets Mart web site, I could never find them in the store.
Old March 15th, 2005, 12:37 AM

a way to keep cat from clawing furniture

I have found a product that I find to work very well with keeping my cats from clawing the furniture. It's called "Sticky Paws" and you can find it at any PetCo or PetsMart. It is basically like double sided tape and you can stick it to the corners and eges of your furniture. I think that it's not meant to be used on wood, but it can be used on many types of furniture and doesn't leave a sticky residue when you take it off. make sure you test a hidden area of your furniture first to make sure it doesn't harm the furniture. The Sticky Paws is a wonderful alternative to declawing your cat, but you still need to trip your cat's claws.
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Also buy your kitty a scratching post (or more) and teach her to to use it. Then she won't look for the furbiture. Cats need to scratch their claws. Certain rugs also help. (you can buy a small rub the kitty might like)