Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Wish me luck! (first venture into TNR)

So DH and I moved a few months ago and it didn't take me long to meet all the cats in my new 'hood. 2 of them are unfixed males of no-fixed-address. It's taken me a while to get them on a fairly regular feeding schedule (cold snowy weather didn't help) but now it's time for yee ol' snip-snip. Because they're on the feral side of things (although one guy is now letting me pet him briefly while he eats), they're going to be returned to my yard where I'll continue to feed and monitor them. These are a couple of really tough dudes, with a plethora of battle-scars to show for it, and do not make good adoption candidates. They would be PTS at the Humane Society and would take up valuable space at the no-kill shelters, so I'm thankful that with help from the wonderful MEOW Foundation, they'll get to live out their lives in the only environment they know (without creating anymore "mini-me's").

MEOW brought 2 traps over just now and set them up all nice and cozy with some tasty treats inside. Tonight the boys will get a free meal as the spring isn't loaded, but by tomorrow morning their days with nuts are numbered. And because I just so conveniently happened to get a cold today, I'll probably be staying home from work to monitor the traps. If I wasn't able to, MEOW folks would come by to check on them a couple times so that the cats don't have to spend too long in lock-down. How great is that?!?! And there's a new 24hr vet clinic here that works with rescue organizations like MEOW, making it easy for me to get these guys in for their spa-day as soon as I catch 'em.

So, that everything goes as smoothly as possible!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Kitty pimp

best of luck i wish we had somethimg like that down here
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Doggie Wench

Wow, what a great organization!!

And that's very ic of you to participate.

and that all goes as planned.
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

More and for a successful operation (oooo, I made a pun )

What a great group that is!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:34 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You know you have my good luck wishes! That goes without saying. I have heard of the MEOW Foundation. I think Bailey used them with her neighbours' cats. I have also done some reading about them when I was looking at different rescues and how they work.
You are in for a great adventure!! I am sure the boys will be much happier once their marbles are gone and the testosterone is out of their system.
Thank you so much for being their !! Be careful! It's addicting!!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:46 PM
-

You are indeed an
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:09 AM
One dog at a time...

Good luck!

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Senior Contributor

scm, what a wonderful thing u are doing! I hope the kitties go into the trap soon! Meow sounds like a wonderful organization.

Get better soon.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You rock, girl

Good luck

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:24 PM
-

Good luck Sugarcatmom ! They sound like a wonderful organisation !!!
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Good Luck!! Can't wait to hear the outcomes!
Old February 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

1 down, 1 to go!!!!

Got the grey guy! Just came back from dropping him off at the clinic. He was so good in the car, didn't thrash around or make a peep (or pee!). I'm sure he was terrified though, which kinda breaks my heart and in some ways I feel like I betrayed his trust. But I keep telling myself he's on the way to better health and happiness and the real traitor is whoever let him get to this state. He has some wounds on his back (probably from fighting) that have been oozing for a little while - I noticed drops of blood around the feeding station a couple weeks ago, which actually made me cry. At least now he can get the medical attention he needs. Oh, I named him Memphis, after the capital of Ancient Egypt.

Anyway, my incredible wonderful fabulous husband deserves some props in this. He's always so supportive, but today he actually played hookey from work so that he could help me. Off to go give him a big kiss.....

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM
chronically insane.

Good luck! I can't trap right now due to 3 feet of snow on the ground I got about 30 cats done within the past year you'll get the hang of it! i've found the cheaper and smellier the cat food the more kitties go for it.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Got the grey guy! Just came back from dropping him off at the clinic. He was so good in the car, didn't thrash around or make a peep (or pee!). I'm sure he was terrified though, which kinda breaks my heart and in some ways I feel like I betrayed his trust. But I keep telling myself he's on the way to better health and happiness and the real traitor is whoever let him get to this state. He has some wounds on his back (probably from fighting) that have been oozing for a little while - I noticed drops of blood around the feeding station a couple weeks ago, which actually made me cry. At least now he can get the medical attention he needs. Oh, I named him Memphis, after the capital of Ancient Egypt.

Anyway, my incredible wonderful fabulous husband deserves some props in this. He's always so supportive, but today he actually played hookey from work so that he could help me. Off to go give him a big kiss.....
Way to go

If they are not totally feral, will the rescue try to adopt them out? Put them in foster?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM
You can call me DOG!

and coming your way SCM.

Sounds like you got a great game plan going on not to mention a very supportive husband too!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
If they are not totally feral, will the rescue try to adopt them out? Put them in foster?
Nope. If they aren't either young or friendly (and these 2 are neither), there is almost no hope for adoption and foster homes are already filled to overflowing. Their policy is to return them to where they were picked up, provided they have a caretaker. These guys are very street-wise and will be happiest back in their old stomping grounds. I'll make sure they get good food (how many "alley cats" get canned Nature's Variety and raw venison? ) and fresh water and warm, dry shelter. They'll be juuuuuuust fine.

Old February 17th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'll probably be staying home from work to monitor the traps.
You don't know how happy I am to hear this. And THANK YOU!!! I 95% percent of the time, get the aragance of people not giving a crap. I remember getting a call from dispatch about a neighbour calling that his next door neighbour has had a cat trapped in a trap for 24 hours in their yard. And it was freezing cold out.

Get there, no one home. Radioed da boss and proceed into the backyard. There is a cat, ovioulsy freezing, hungry and terrfied, with not even a wind break or away from other weather elements. It was placed right in the open. Man I was peeved.

He was adorable though. A rolly polly guy. He wasn't a stray...or if he was, he had it like a king.

ACO22
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

SCM, you and your hubby are angels for wanting to help these little ones. I wish you all the luck in the world with this.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor

2 for 2

Just got back from taking the second guy (silver tabby) for his spa session at the vets. We named him Cairo. This guy has an eye infection that developed a couple days ago so I'm glad I got him in before it got any worse. Both boys will be spending the next 3 days at the MEOW shelter to make sure they've healed up properly. If either of them suddenly decide to show a friendly side, they WILL be admitted to the adoption program. Cairo might have a better chance of that than Memphis because I have been able to pet him in the past. But he was one angry mofo in the trap so I'm not holding my breath.

Something else that MEOW does is microchip the TNR cats. They'll be registered in MEOW's name, but my name and address will be listed as the caregiver so that if they are ever picked up by someone else, they can be returned to my location. Very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
You don't know how happy I am to hear this. And THANK YOU!!! I 95% percent of the time, get the aragance of people not giving a crap.
I was so excited (and anal) about checking for them that neither cat spent more than 15 min in the trap. I could see it from my kitchen window and probably looked a gazillion times throughout the day. Not only was it covered with blankets and a garbage bag, it was on top of some thick cardboard and another blankie.

Off to go get beer and pizza for my sweetie.

Old February 17th, 2010, 08:47 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

congrats SCM,,you have done a wonderful thing for these two,,give hubby a hug for us too.
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

YEAH TO HUBBY!! SCM, you are doing such a wonderful thing!! I'm so glad that u were able to get both kitties...great job!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
You don't know how happy I am to hear this. And THANK YOU!!! I 95% percent of the time, get the aragance of people not giving a crap. I remember getting a call from dispatch about a neighbour calling that his next door neighbour has had a cat trapped in a trap for 24 hours in their yard. And it was freezing cold out.

Get there, no one home. Radioed da boss and proceed into the backyard. There is a cat, ovioulsy freezing, hungry and terrfied, with not even a wind break or away from other weather elements. It was placed right in the open. Man I was peeved.

He was adorable though. A rolly polly guy. He wasn't a stray...or if he was, he had it like a king.

ACO22
ACO...that makes me sick to my stomach. the poor kitty!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Gotta say - it's my turn to be proud of you!!! Great work!!! Thank you so much for caring about these two. I'm sure there will be more along the way!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:16 PM
chronically insane.

Wow, sounds like you've found a great organization!!

I do turn over friendly ones to the shelter to get occasion. and by friendly i mean, house cat turned loose and begging for human attention friendly. i always worry about the real friendly or real little ones because i don't want them walking up to the wrong person and getting hurt

otherwise as far as I am concerned if I wouldn't bring the kitty into my own house then he/she is going to be just fine outside. I've been dealing with feral cats since I was 14 so I've learned where my limits are for the most part.... and you totally sound like you are on the right track with everything!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Great job, SCM!!! Wow, you work fast once you put your mind to something! I'm in awe!

I'm glad you got Cairo before his infection got worse!

Quick recovery to them both!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go SCM . Glad Cairo "participated" so quickly, those eye infections can get so bad if not treated.

I agree that some cats are happier outside leading the life they know, however some cats, once shown the good life inside, love it too. I am glad there will be a 3 day observation period What a great rescue you are dealing with. .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 18th, 2010, 10:41 AM
-

Fantastic news SCM
Old February 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Great news!

Just got an email from Angela at MEOW and Cairo is going to be admitted into the adoption program! I can't believe how awesome this is. I guess he's turned into a charming little chatterbox at the shelter and doesn't mind the lovin'. Woooohoooooo! Smart boy, he knows a good thing when he's found it. This is a big relief for another reason: because Cairo and Memphis have clearly been mortal enemies for a while (Memphis has a number of badly infected abscesses on his back), there was worry that they would continue to battle even without testosterone to fuel their fire. Now Memphis can reign supreme in "his" 'hood. I'm so happy for them both.

Old February 18th, 2010, 04:33 PM
-

Quote:
Just got an email from Angela at MEOW and Cairo is going to be admitted into the adoption program!
omg that is great ! nice job sugarcatmom !!!
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Just got an email from Angela at MEOW and Cairo is going to be admitted into the adoption program! I can't believe how awesome this is. I guess he's turned into a charming little chatterbox at the shelter and doesn't mind the lovin'. Woooohoooooo! Smart boy, he knows a good thing when he's found it. This is a big relief for another reason: because Cairo and Memphis have clearly been mortal enemies for a while (Memphis has a number of badly infected abscesses on his back), there was worry that they would continue to battle even without testosterone to fuel their fire. Now Memphis can reign supreme in "his" 'hood. I'm so happy for them both.
That is wonderful news! Sounds like it couldn't be working out better. Thank you for what you are doing for these kitties.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so happy about Cairo , when you said you could pat him, I didn't think he was totally feral.

Angela is right, they have developed the aggression towards each other and would continue to fight, even when they have forgotten why . Memphis will be quite happy

Sending some for a quick recovery for both boys.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)