Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 5th, 2005, 11:24 AM

What's your favorite breed you've never owned?

I've never had a golden retriever, but I just love them. Also smooth-coated collies. I love the appearances of dalmations and irish setters, but suspect they have too much energy for me.

I also love labradors and border collies, but I have a lab/border collie mix, so I count that as "sort ot" having owned them.

~LM~
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:33 AM

My favourite dog we ever owned, we got when I was a little kid, he was left at the end of our driveway with a bag of food. We saw him when we turned in the drive, he was just sitting there besid ehis food, kind of waiting for my my mum to agree to keeping him. As soon as she said yes, he started checking out the place and made himself comfy. He was a super sweet, extremely smart, Bearded Collie mix.
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't answer this one, as liking a certain breed of dog, does not mean that you will love the one you get. But you can end up with the last type of dog you would ever expect to get and find you that this is the second best type of dog for you. Says the voice of experience sitting here with the white fluffernutter at her feet.
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Woops!! Well, that was the ever owned, here's the never owned, Newfoundland or St. Bernard, beautiful big dogs...
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:45 AM

A Pit Bull or a bull Terrier (curisous if the bull terrier falls under ontario's breed ban?)
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Are you talking only dogs here or cats too? I'm a cat lover and love Persians. I always wanted to own a Chinchilla Persian and strangely I just got one from the shelter. I guess that doesn't count though since it's supposed to be a breed I've never had. My next choice is Maine Coon, those great big gentle cats.
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Oh yes for cats, my favorite breed I have never owned is a maine coon. The BF likes siamese.
Salem - DSH

Old December 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM

My favourite dog ive never owned, but im sure I will some day, is great dane!

Loved great danes since forever, but cant afford one right now haha....

But i also love my shelties... never thought i would till i got Scruffy.. hes the BEST dog i could ever ask for
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:49 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's_MA
A Pit Bull or a bull Terrier (curisous if the bull terrier falls under ontario's breed ban?)
It's my understanding that bull terriers are NOT included in the ban - which doesn't make sense but that could be a whole other thread! LOL

I've always been very fond of Great Danes!!! But I also like the large standard Poodles - but a Dane would be my first pick!
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Every dog I have ever owned has been my favorite, min poodle, long haired sheperd, shepard/collie mix, Then the unimaginable happend(gasp) I met a pit bull and did'nt even know it at the time, this was the sweetest dogs I had met in a long time, I asked the guy what kind it was and he said "pit bull" I was speachless, I thought all pit bulls were mean nasty dogs that attacked people without warning, Then I meet a second pit bull, and it was sweeter than the first one, then I realized news papers are full of it, and only tell you what they want you to think, not what you need to know. Now I'm hooked on bully breeds, and I would love to get a Saffordshire Bull Terrier some day.
Stanley- Tabby cat and King of the hut
dogster at.[url]http://www.dogster.com/?176592[/url]
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Rottie owner and lover

To be honest with you the rottweiler is my favorite breed. I can not picture having another breed in my home.
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:06 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Oh bluntman, I agree 100% with you!! I think Pitties will always be my favorite "breed." I fell head over heels in love with my ex's dog. He was my first experience with a Pit Bull. And he loved me more than his owner!! Once we were seperated, I knew, when it was my time to get a dog - that's the one I wanted!!
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:19 PM

I'm a HUGE pit lover, but if I have to pick something that I've never owned it would be a Newfoundland. I have ridden one when I was really young. A friend of my parents had one.
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:26 PM

There are many breeds that I would love to own and hope to some day. I love whippets, greyhounds, boxers, "pit bull" type dogs, bull terriers, bullmastiffs and bulldogs. Those are just some of the dog breeds that I can think of right now. As for cat breeds, I absolutely love siamese cats. They have the most dog like personalities than any other cat that I know. Would like to own one some day.
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I've only owned 2 dogs in my life (thus far), a border collie/shepard mix, and my current basenji-PB mix, so there's ALOT of favorites I've never owned... at the top of my favorite list are the Boxers, Danes, Dobe's, and of course, the adorable little pugs.
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Agility Addict

Hmm...that's a hard one...Probably a saluki, ibizan hound, rhodesian ridgeback bull terrier, greater swiss mountain dog or any of the larger French hounds...

What a ridiculous list!! I'd have to do a lot of adjusting depending on which breed I chose!

With regards to cats - probably a Bengal or Balinese...maybe a Maine Coon.

Last edited by Lissa; December 5th, 2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:25 PM

I think favorite dog i have never owned would be a Wire Fox Terrier some day maybe , for now i will stick with my favs that i do own my Chesapeake's and my Mini's
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

MUTTS!!! I love mutts. I had a great mutt that they thought was a mix of black lab, and some sort of bully breed.

But again I am a converted pit bull lover, never a hater but very reluctant of them. I met my first one when I met Capone. The personality these dogs have is remarkable. I have never met a dog other then the mutt Ihad that was so rich in personality and character. One word best to describe a well owned pit bull is that they are true clowns and have a sense of humour. My Mutt was the same. I also owned a Scottish terrier and a border collie. The border collie was the smartest dog I have ever owned.

I really would love for the next time to get a great dane if I can't get a pit bull. I really love large dogs. I also want to get a rottie, I have met some really sweet ones.

As for cats never had one so I would be happy just to have one. BF won't let me
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:48 PM

I have a couple and all for different reasons. But my absolute favourite is a Shiba Inu (http://www.shibaweb.com/index.htm). They are absolutely beautiful dogs, but not for the novice dog owner. If you think pitties have a lot of energy, you should see these dogs. I was going to get one in the summer and was about to put my name on the list with a breeder for a puppy (between $800-$1500 a pup), then my sister asked me if I would take Sprint. A choice I would never change.

The other two are Chesapeake Bay Retriever and German Short Hair Pointer. For the hunter in me and looking for a best friend to come with me. I love to go do stuff in the outdoors, but I feel bad for leaving Sprint at home.
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdamadg
I have a couple and all for different reasons. But my absolute favourite is a Shiba Inu (http://www.shibaweb.com/index.htm). They are absolutely beautiful dogs, but not for the novice dog owner. If you think pitties have a lot of energy, you should see these dogs. I was going to get one in the summer and was about to put my name on the list with a breeder for a puppy (between $800-$1500 a pup), then my sister asked me if I would take Sprint. A choice I would never change.
Roxy and I met a Shibu Inu this summer at the park. Cutest little dog ever. He was a black and tan. I will say this is the first dog, that is the same size as Roxy, that was able to keep up with her. Quite the energetic little guy.
Salem - DSH

Old December 5th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Papa D

favorite never owned

on my doggie wish list is a st. bernard.........and being december they may come in handy after that long walk in the cold
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:03 PM

Does it count if you had it when you were too young to remember? I had a newf when I was really little, (I don't remember her) and for some reason whenever I see a newf, I get a physical reaction. Like instant love.

But I also want a dane, chesapeake bay (love them curly locks), whippet, and pug, in that order. And if I grow a lot of patience, maybe a Weimeraner...
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:14 PM

I'd really like to have a dane and an english bull dog. I've been around danes and like their gentle nature. I've never even seen an english bull dog in real life, but they are sooo cute.
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

In Georgia I became the best buddy of my sister-in-law’s little Lhasa Apso, but don’t tell anybody.
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:31 PM

I would say a rough Collie (probably cause I love my shelties,and its basically a bigger version of them)

Also I Love the Great Danes and also the Belgian Tervurans
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Definitely a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I have always loved the GSD...And I grew up with this breed.As I got older,I said I would own one of my own.Well I have owned 3.And I have beautiful boy Tron.

But my second fave is the Dane.My love for this breed came from when I was younger(much..lol)and my Aunt had 5.
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:28 PM

I really like Nova Scotia Duck Tollers, and probably my next choices would be a Finnish Spitz, a Karelian Bear Dog and a Newf.....and as many mutts from the shelters as I could take
and Dusty, being as good as his DNA will allow
oh...and the cats, Rex & Lucky
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'
Old December 6th, 2005, 07:29 AM

"I really like Nova Scotia Duck Tollers"

A friend of mine has one, she is one of the smartest dogs I have ever seen. And likes to "fetch" all sorts of stuff. In a walk; it will start with a toy, usually a ball, in her mouth, and end with the toy, a couple pine cones, a stick or two, and anything else she can fit in her mouth at the same time.
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Alaskan Malamute