Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old July 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Kitty Consort

German Food

I have a internet friend from Germany that I' ve been good friends with for several years, and next month we get a chance to meet. She's going on the Alaska cruise - and will be in Vancouver for the weekend.
I am very excited about this! A chance to sight-see, shop, do a few fun activities.
While she is visiting the home, I thought it might be nice to prepare some German food to serve during her stay. But what? I'm not at all familiar with any dishes. Only saurkraut and sausage come to my mind.. obviously there is a lot more .

I could do a net search of course, but its always nicer to get a personal reccomendation.
Do you have any recipies for any tasty ( and easy to make) meals with a German flavour?

And..could you also reccomend a good German wine/beer?
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:57 PM

This is a recipe my grandmother uses. I'm mostly German, but know a lot more about my Italian heritage, so this is all I have. It is pretty good. Maybe you can use it.

Schweinsmedallions mit Sommermajoran (Boneless pork cutlets with fresh marjoram)
serves 4

This easy-to-make recipe. It is a beautifully color-contrasting meal if you serve it together with red stewed cabbage.

1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin cutlets (cut no thicker than 1/3 of an inch)
1/4 cup golden raisins, soaked in white wine
1 large Golden Delicious apple, cored, peeled, quartered, sliced
1 large onion, trimmed, peeled, sliced
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup mustard
leaves of 10 full grown stems of fresh marjoram (about 1 oz. or 1 cup of loosely packed leaves), rinsed, chopped
salt (to taste)
freshly ground white pepper (to taste)

On a cutting board, season cutlets on both sides with salt and pepper to taste (both optional). Evenly spread the mustard on only one side of the meat. In a large, covered non-stick pan, over medium heat, heat the oil and saute onions until lightly golden and limp (about 5-10 minutes). Drain raisins (keep juice). To the translucent onions, add apple slices and raisins. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add cutlets, placing them first on the side without the mustard and making space for them by pushing the onions aside. Brown cutlets for about 5-10 minutes on each side. Drizzle the cutlets with raisin wine juice and sprinkle them with the marjoram. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover the pan, and cook the cutlets until they are done. No pink should be visible when you serve the meat. The internal temperature should be at 160-165 degrees F.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Kitty Consort

Thanks Jackie! That sounds easy and very nice. I think I'll try it.
I detest cabbage - I have to say, but for a special friend, I would certainly serve it!
Much appreciated!
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:35 AM

German beer? My favorite is Paulaner pils.
Old July 20th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Kitty Consort

oh, thanks for that suggestion on the beer! I dont know if she even drinks the stuff.. just that German beer is considered very good.
Old July 20th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I LOVE Wiener Snitzels (sp) mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm ...
don't know how to make them though, so soory I can't help

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, but my German friends have always been a bit vocal about German food they encounter outside of Germany. It won't ever measure up, even if you're an accomplished cook - don't even try. I'm sure she will want to taste Canadian food, not be served something she can get at home. I'm 1/4 German, married to a 1/2 German. They won't acknowledge their way is not the only way. Cook your specialty and give her a new experience. When I travel, the different cuisine is one of the best memories of the whole trip. I brought home a menu from an Italian restaurant in Germany. Also, I have a menu from a Chinese restaurant. It's so funny to read the description of the food written in German. Maybe I'm easily amused. I had a ball watching "Crocodile Dundee" in the German language, speaking with an Australian accent, when I flew on Lufthanza. When they dub in the voice, they choose a voice that fits the appearance of the character. Watching German TV, Tom Selleck had a really deep, masculine voice in German.
Old August 24th, 2005, 03:54 PM

When I was in Germany everything I ordered was just a pile of pork with some sauce on it. Different name...different sauce.

Best German Beer...Spaten Optimator (name's cool too)
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Shamrock,I am sure she would enjoy some Canadian dishes,German food she can get at home
I know when I travel,I like to try the different foods they have and beer or wine,otherwise I might just as well stay home and eat.
A nice thick bbq'ed steak,very expensive in Europe,would be nice,maybe a baked potatoe(I prefer FF)and a few bottles of Blue
When I was 15,I lived in Vienna Austria for a few months,do they ever know how to make a great Wienerschnitzel
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

My German friends always wanted me to make pie. They don't have that. They do use fruit as a topping for Kuchen. On my second trip there, I took a piepan so I could bake them properly. You're right Chico, barbequed steak is really appreciated! White asparagus is a big deal over there. Try oven roasting a pan of green asparagus with strips of red bell pepper. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt. Roast in very hot oven (450F) for about 15 minutes til crisp tender and bright green. They'll love it! It's both tasty and beautiful.