Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 16th, 2012, 06:05 PM

Moving Tips

I'm moving from Southern Ontario to Montreal. It's a 8 hour drive, but with stopping, it will probably be more like 10 hours. I'm going to be traveling with a (X-Large) Rough Collie and 6 hedgehogs in a car.

The problem I'm having right now is how to travel with 6 hedgehogs and a large dog in a small car. The hedgehogs have to be in hard sided carriers, and I can fit all of them in the back seat. But they completely fill up the back. That only leaves the front seat for my dog. But that's not very safe. I've never been in a car accident, but if I was in a head on accident or hit on his side, he'd get injured or die. But, I've got no other options. He's WAY too big to fit on the front seat, he's a very big boy. So I'm going to take the seat out and have it shipped with my other stuff. I'll make him a nice bed on the floor where the front seat was.

He has traveled before. We moved before and drove 42 hours in 4 days. He did great. He can't ride in a kennel, there are no kennels that he can comfortably lay down/turn around in.

Right now he lives with 2 other dogs, but they won't be coming with me. So I'm sure he will miss them and wonder what is going on. He's never been an only dog. He was severely abused before I got him, his previous owner tried to drown him. So he gets very uneasy in new places.

Any tips on how to adjust him into new living situations, and the travel problems?

And of course, a picture of Ollie and my hedgehogs

Old June 16th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I'm moving from Southern Ontario to Montreal. It's a 8 hour drive, but with stopping, it will probably be more like 10 hours. I'm going to be traveling with a (X-Large) Rough Collie and 6 hedgehogs in a car.

The problem I'm having right now is how to travel with 6 hedgehogs and a large dog in a small car. The hedgehogs have to be in hard sided carriers, and I can fit all of them in the back seat. But they completely fill up the back. That only leaves the front seat for my dog. But that's not very safe. I've never been in a car accident, but if I was in a head on accident or hit on his side, he'd get injured or die. But, I've got no other options. He's WAY too big to fit on the front seat, he's a very big boy. So I'm going to take the seat out and have it shipped with my other stuff. I'll make him a nice bed on the floor where the front seat was.

He has traveled before. We moved before and drove 42 hours in 4 days. He did great. He can't ride in a kennel, there are no kennels that he can comfortably lay down/turn around in.

Right now he lives with 2 other dogs, but they won't be coming with me. So I'm sure he will miss them and wonder what is going on. He's never been an only dog. He was severely abused before I got him, his previous owner tried to drown him. So he gets very uneasy in new places.

Any tips on how to adjust him into new living situations, and the travel problems?

And of course, a picture of Ollie and my hedgehogs

Could afford to rent a bigger car and have a friend drive your car to your new place? I read that is helps to bring your dog on walk to their new neighborhood before moving there , but since you can't do that it may help to take your dog on a walk once you settle down. You should get your dog use to his new neighborhood in case he get out by mistake so he will be able to find his way home easier. Your dog is beautiful. what kind of pets do hedgehogs made? Can you play with them , they're cute.
Old June 16th, 2012, 10:50 PM

If your worried about safety, there is a harness called the Vestharness. You can put that on the dog and then put the front seatbelt through the harness. (They are made for that, 3 in 1 use) I have a car seat for my dogs but they are only 13 pounds each. They both wear the vestharness, then I clip the belts that come with the car seat on that, they love it and can sit and look out the widow and are safe. Obviously your dog is too big for a car seat but you can use the vestharness as I said and attach the seat belt through that. Its very safe. Here is a link, they are much cheaper here then any other site I have search. I bought them harnesses in the store for 40 each and on this site they are 23. http://www.gear4dogs.com/canine-frie...1-vest-harness I think the x-large is 30 dollars still very reasonable.
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:57 AM

I could rent a bigger car, but I have no one who could drive my car. It's a long drive. I could have my car shipped with my other stuff, but that's really expensive.

I always take him for walks, so that won't be a problem.

Can the dogs lay down if they have that harness on? He's too big for the front seat, but I have figured out a way to "modify" it.

I wouldn't consider hedgehogs pets. They don't play with you, don't really interact with you and don't want or need your attention. Hedgehogs are solitary animals so they want to be alone. 99% of hedgehogs don't want to be interacted with, they just learn to deal with it. They've been described as rocks who poop, pee, eat and empty your wallet. They are nocturnal so they sleep all day and don't wake up until it's completely dark. They have heat and light requirements, without proper heat and light, they die. They are prey animals so they are naturally afraid of people. They have quills that poke you and can hurt. Some hedgehogs are very grumpy and will never let you hold them. But, they make great "pets" for the right person. Unlike dogs, you have to earn their trust, which can take months, years or never happen.
Old June 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM

First of all, welcome to Montreal!

Quote:
Can the dogs lay down if they have that harness on? He's too big for the front seat, but I have figured out a way to "modify" it.
Can you test this before your big moving date? Is there anyway you can stack the hard plastic crates with the hedgehogs in the front seat with you and leave the back for the dog? What kind of car is it? What about making 2 trips? I know it's a long drive (having done it a few times myself) but maybe if you could leave your dog with someone for the initial trip out and then come back and get him?
Old June 17th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Can you test this before your big moving date? Is there anyway you can stack the hard plastic crates with the hedgehogs in the front seat with you and leave the back for the dog? What kind of car is it? What about making 2 trips? I know it's a long drive (having done it a few times myself) but maybe if you could leave your dog with someone for the initial trip out and then come back and get him?[/QUOTE]

I will test it, I've been driving around with my dog anyways, to get him use to being in the car again.

I could put 2 crates in the front, then stack 2 in the back, if I double them up in carriers. Then he'd have the whole back seat minus about 12". The problem with having the hedgehogs in the front is then I'll have to have some of the front air vents closed, because they have specific heat requirements and can't have cold air. But it wouldn't be too bad. That's a good idea, don't know why I didn't think of that!

It's a 2012 Mazda3 Sedan.

If I double them up in carriers, and put 2 in the back and 2 in the front, I think I'll only have to do one trip. If worst comes to worst, I'll have the hedgehogs shipped. I'd rather pay $150 to fly them out then make 2 trips.