Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Owned by Saints

Horizon Legacy

Anyone tried this food?

I recently switched my 2 Saints to Legacy from Orijen because they are going through a picky faze. It's only been just under a week but they are definitely less gassy which is a huge plus.

Ingredients: Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal, salmon meal, turkey meal, pea starch concentrate, green split peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary, citric acid), whole eggs, flaxseed, salmon oil, dried alfalfa, carrots, apples, broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, cranberries, Saskatoon berries, dried kelp, dried pumpkin meal, colostrum, sea buckthorn, fenugreek protein meal, dried pomegranate, dried astragalus root, dried milk thistle, glucosamine HCl, chondroitin sulphate, garlic, enzymes (dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried aspergillus niger extract, pineapple, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation product, rhizopus oryzae), probiotics (dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, and dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product), yucca schidigera extract, mannan oligosaccharide (MOS), burdock root extract (FOS), vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, vitamin B12, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, biotin, vitamin C (ascorbyl phosphate), ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate*, zinc sulphate, zinc proteinate*, manganous oxide, manganese proteinate*, copper sulphate, copper proteinate*, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, seleno methionine, magnesium oxide.

Nutritional Information
Protein (min.): 40%
Fat (min.): 16%
Fibre (max.): 3%
Moisture (max.): 9%
Omega 3:1%**
Omega 6:3%**

Calorie Content:
ME 3790 kcal/kg
ME/cup 460 kcal/cup

Botanical Addition Rates
Colostrum 800 mg/kg
Sea Buckthorn 700 mg/kg
Fenugreek 600 mg/kg
Pomegranate 450 mg/kg
Burdock 450 mg/kg
Astragalus 400 mg/kg
Milk thistle 300 mg/kg
Glucosamine 600 mg/kg
Chondroitin 400 mg/kg
Garlic 300 mg/kg
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

it sounds pretty good over all this is the only thing that might concern you. Personally doesn't me, i've given it to my dogs before i heard it was supposed to be bad for them.

Ingredients: Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal, salmon meal, turkey meal, pea starch concentrate, green split peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary, citric acid), whole eggs, flaxseed, salmon oil, dried alfalfa, carrots, apples, broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, cranberries, Saskatoon berries, dried kelp, dried pumpkin meal, colostrum, sea buckthorn, fenugreek protein meal, dried pomegranate, dried astragalus root, dried milk thistle, glucosamine HCl, chondroitin sulphate, garlic, enzymes (dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried aspergillus niger extract, pineapple, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation product, rhizopus oryzae), probiotics (dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, and dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product), yucca schidigera extract, mannan oligosaccharide (MOS), burdock root extract (FOS), vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, vitamin B12, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, biotin, vitamin C (ascorbyl phosphate), ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate*, zinc sulphate, zinc proteinate*, manganous oxide, manganese proteinate*, copper sulphate, copper proteinate*, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, seleno methionine, magnesium oxide.
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM

I have just started to give it to one of my dogs - we are on the second bag. I still feed Orijen to my other dog but wanted to try the Horizon Legacy to see if a potato-free food would make a difference with her arthritis. I have heard that people with arthritis should stay away from potatoes so wondered if it would make a difference in our pets???

She actually seems to like the Orijen better but this is an experiment so I would like to have her on it for a little while longer.

I think it is comparable to Orijen - they just use pea starch instead of potato to bind it all together.

Wouldn't worry about the garlic because it is not a huge amount. I have heard that it is fine in small amounts.
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I feed Orijen but think this is also a very good food, especially if you're dealing with pickiness, it's a good option!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Live well, laugh often

I've used this food for the last two dog food bags and my dogs have done very well on it . I usually feed Orijen and will add this to my rotation.
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Owned by Saints

The only issue I'm noticing so far is that taste wise they are not too keen on it. But if I mix in canned food (currently Merrick's 'Before Grain' 100% meat) then they clean their bowls. I'm thinking they are just getting picky of dry kibble altogether.

I'm going to give it a couple bags and see how it goes.
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM

That is exactly what I am finding - not as appealing to them for whatever reason. I think they prefer the smell of the Orijen to Horizon because you can really smell the peas in the Horizon, whearas in Orijen the potato wouldn't have much smell so maybe they smell the meat more???
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Owned by Saints

The legacy to me smelled strongly of salmon and peas. Orijen definitely smells more meaty..

Well we finished the big bag of Horizon and I decided to rotate Orijen back in and the first day on it the room clearing gas has returned. Gag! So next bag we are going back to Horizon and I think staying there.
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:56 AM
-

I have just started using Acana, it is made by Champion Foods, same as Orijen the ingredients look real good. No Gas from any of my four, I have always mixed canned food in and use several diffent makes and flavours. I was going to try the Horizon but the Global Store I use would have to order it as they don't have room to stock all the brands.
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Owned by Saints

I was lucky finding Horizon. A new feed store opened here and I got their flyer in the mail. It listed the dog foods they stock and I was shocked to see it on there.

Champion re-formulated and improved their Acana line... plus added 3 grain free formulas. I'm tempted to rotate in the grain free fish one. So far though the store only has the regular formulas.. My one Saint has grain allergies so I prefer to stick with the grain free foods.
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM
-

Maybe if you mentioned it to them they would start stocking it. Our local Global stocked Orijen but not Acana, I was talking to the owner of the store and mentioned that if there was any chance of stocking it, three weeks later she had a lot of varieties in stock, she mentioned that she was impressed with the ingredients.

She said that since the Pet Food scare, a lot of people are switching to foods that a) or made in Canada and b) locally sourced ingredients. I know Horizon is Canadian and 'think' their ingredients are locally sourced, not sure though.
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I feed the regular Horizon...not the legacy, just the regular, and I love it. I switched from Orijen. I find a huge wonderful difference in her gas...on orijen it was so bad, and poop duty isnt nearly as bad on Horizon...smaller poops, less smelly and always firm. She can handle rich treats (like liver) and bones much better off Orijen...I personally think it was all too rich for her to digest.

My sister feeds orijen and when her dog comes over, I can smell a huge difference in the pop I have to clean up in the yard, her dogs poop is way smaller by way stinkier even when you wait to pick it up.

I love the Horizon, and its good stuff. I know you asked about Legacy, but overall, its good food. Oh, and much much cheaper and we feed the same portion size daily.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

It scored 6 stars (best score) on this site!! http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=1613&cat=all

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

regular horizon is only 3 stars. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=1615&cat=all

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old September 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
These ratings are based on high protien contents so obviously a lower protien count would score lower in this rateing scale.

Last edited by Ford Girl; September 10th, 2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
These ratings are based on high protien contents so obviously a lower protien count would score lower in this rateing scale.
It's also based on this
Beet pulp is controversial filler. It is a by-product, being dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar. It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process. We note that beet pulp is an ingredient that commonly causes problems for dogs, including allergies and ear infections, and prefer not to see it used in dog food. There are less controversial products around if additional fibre is required.

Also

We note the use of synthetic vitamin K, a substance linked to liver problems and that is progressively being removed from better quality products.

But to each his own, we all have our reasons for choosing the foods we do!

Old September 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
It's also based on this
Beet pulp is controversial filler. It is a by-product, being dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar. It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process. We note that beet pulp is an ingredient that commonly causes problems for dogs, including allergies and ear infections, and prefer not to see it used in dog food. There are less controversial products around if additional fibre is required.

Also

We note the use of synthetic vitamin K, a substance linked to liver problems and that is progressively being removed from better quality products.

But to each his own, we all have our reasons for choosing the foods we do!
For sure happycats, to each their own...but I think alot of people go crazy with worry about things that are claimed to be "contraversal", espeically if it's not proven and just thought to be.."Claimed by some manufacturuers and derided by others".know what I mean?..Some food have garlic and onions...both of which are "contraversal"...chicken is also "known" to cause allergies and ear infections...yet its the staple in alot of food.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2705

This is just what I mean, check out different sites and you will find different opinions on things like beet pulp. This site shows pros and cons...thats all...

Does it matter if they remove the sugar??

They also no longer put Vit. K in it, so this is old info...I asked about that months ago and they removed it a long time ago, I recieved info from Horizon directly...thier new formula and packaging doesn't have Vit K on it.

Last edited by Ford Girl; September 10th, 2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
For sure happycats, to each their own...but I think alot of people get go crazy with worry about things that are claimed to be "contraversal", espeically if it's not proven and just thought to be.."Claimed by some manufacturuers and derided by others".know what I mean?..Some food have garlic and onions...both of which are "contraversal"...chicken is also "known" to cause allergies and ear infections...yet its the staple in alot of food.

They also no longer put Vit. K in it, so this is old info...I asked about that months ago and they removed it a long time ago, I recieved info from Horizon directly...thier new formula and packaging doesn't have Vit K on it.
The review was done January 2008.

I don't like to worry or go crazy about things either, but if I can find a food where there are "no", or "few" "contraversal" foods, then I would rather feed my pets that, why take the chance? JMO

I used to think Nutro was the best (because Nutro told me so) and was feeding Buddy that, but have since found out otherwise, so I switched his food, and the food speaks for itself. He's doing great, beautiful coat, no biting at his nether region better and less bowel movements.

Old September 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
The review was done January 2008.

I don't like to worry or go crazy about things either, but if I can find a food where there are "no", or "few" "contraversal" foods, then I would rather feed my pets that, why take the chance? JMO

I used to think Nutro was the best (because Nutro told me so) and was feeding Buddy that, but have since found out otherwise, so I switched his food, and the food speaks for itself. He's doing great, beautiful coat, no biting at his nether region better and less bowel movements.
Ya, I switched Dazy in April, after she got really sick and couldnt be put back on the orijen...so it was after Jan that they took the K out. I dont go crazy either with worry, if she's healthy and will eat it, then its all good. I can live with beet pulp "if" thats the only questionable.

She started on Nutro too, as a pup, made her very itchy and dry, not good.

Funny, we all worry and try to do our best with the resources we have but in small towns like where my moms from in northern ON - they feed what ever they can get at the grocery stores and her dogs live to be healthy 16 year olds. Makes you wonder.

Old September 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Ya, I switched Dazy in April, after she got really sick and couldnt be put back on the orijen...so it was after Jan that they took the K out. I dont go crazy either with worry, if she's healthy and will eat it, then its all good. I can live with beet pulp "if" thats the only questionable.

She started on Nutro too, as a pup, made her very itchy and dry, not good.

Funny, we all worry and try to do our best with the resources we have but in small towns like where my moms from in northern ON - they feed what ever they can get at the grocery stores and her dogs live to be healthy 16 year olds. Makes you wonder.

Yeah Nutro made Buddy's skin dry and flaky, and he was biting at his bum all the time.

Your right about that, often people in rural areas get their feed at the farm supply stores, and grocery stores, and yes many of those dogs look great and live long.

I know some rural peopl who can't afford pet food, and only feed table scrap, and their dogs look great and are in great shape.

I know people who have come from other countries, and were completely baffled and actually laughed hysterically when they saw pet food!! They said that where they came from they worried about feeding the people so pet food is totally unheard of!!

But I guess it's like us, some of us eat crap and junk food all the time and don't excercise and live long healthy lives, yet others live totally healthy lives, great food, lots of excercise and plenty of rest, and drop dead to young

As long as we are feeding our pets regularly, it's more them what some are doing :sad: so our pets are lucky really

Old September 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
.....they feed what ever they can get at the grocery stores and her dogs live to be healthy 16 year olds. Makes you wonder.
But there's a difference between existing & THRIVING. Sure, dogs can live to be ripe old ages eating junk food, just as humans can, but the quality of life is lessened with poor nutrition.
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I know some rural peopl who can't afford pet food, and only feed table scrap, and their dogs look great and are in great shape.
I don't think there is any problem with feeding table scraps, and in my opinion, it is probably better than most dog foods. I have never understood why some people think it is a no no to feed them this, it is human grade and may not be processed food. Much better for us, then it is much better for our pets.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I don't think there is any problem with feeding table scraps, and in my opinion, it is probably better than most dog foods. I have never understood why some people think it is a no no to feed them this, it is human grade and may not be processed food. Much better for us, then it is much better for our pets.

Buddy and the cats get table scraps all the time

Old September 11th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Owned by Saints

Ok.. I'm about to buy a gas mask here.. Orijen while I love it.. is OUT! I can't stand it anymore! I just walked into my bedroom to turn off the TV I left on and OMG my bedroom smells like one big lingering fart.

We are going back to Horizon Legacy and I'll just continue adding variety using canned foods. Cost wise Orijen and Legacy are really close in price anyway.

I'm wondering if it's the potato in the Orijen causing the gas?
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Does anyone know if the Orijen for cats has the same farty effect? I'm in the process of switching my cat from Medi Cal to Orijen.
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYne View Post
We are going back to Horizon Legacy and I'll just continue adding variety using canned foods. Cost wise Orijen and Legacy are really close in price anyway.
Orijen here is $26 more per bag then Horizon...so its great they are close in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I add stuff to Dazy's food for sure, plus she gets merrick wet, and fish oil.

Old September 11th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryna123 View Post
Does anyone know if the Orijen for cats has the same farty effect? I'm in the process of switching my cat from Medi Cal to Orijen.

I did this exact switch, from medi-cal to orijen...and it didnt work out too well. (gas while pooping, runny poop no matter how small the portion, hard to control portions, always looking for food, couldnt free feed) He LOVED it tho. We struggled thru one bag, then I switched to Innova. Dont get me wrong, its good stuff, its just way different then Medi-cal, it'll take a bit to get use to. He was also a senior - so that may have played a roll.