Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Smile Tess is getting spayed today

Well Tess is getting spayed and I haven't paid full price on a spay in a long time. Now it's going to happen, but is 295.00$ an average cost for a cat getting spayed . She's over 2years old but I don't remember it being that high in BC. My other question had to do with time. She is having her surgery at 4:00 and they want me to pick her up at 6 or 7 tonight. I remeber that I could pick up the males on the same day but for females they stayed overnight...especially if it would cost 295.00. Again have I been away from the business too long or is this really high?
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
but is 295.00$ an average cost for a cat getting spayed
WHAT????????? Do you mean a simple spay and nothing else being done?

Please call the Dorion clinic and ask for a price. (450) 424-6469
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Well LR, Your reation tells me that it is steep....that's what I thought. When I asked why they said its because she was over a year old...what is the average cost for a spay?
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Rottie owner and lover

when I got my male done years ago it cost 130$, but I did not think it would be over 175$. Ouch.....I called them, it is 192 $ plus tax
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I just called my own vet this minute, and the spay is 107$, with pre-surgery exam and vaccinations 47$. - total 154$ and I'm pretty sure it's less at Dorion.
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I should have gone to Dorion...I'll know for next time. I just called the vet and told them what I was quoted and they said that they had given me a quote for a dog.....so rottielover is right it will cost me 192+tax.
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

CPietra,having just paid $300 to have Vinnies teeth cleaned,I was not that surprised at $295 for spaying,although it sounds like a awful lot.
I am however going to shop around for a not so overpriced vet,or at least find out if $300 is the norm.
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM

i live in the US and i know of vets that spay for $60. we just got dakota spayed and luckily the shelter paid for it. $295 sounds outrageous!
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Our vet (here in T.O.) was charging $400 for a spay and $275 for a neuter. It apparently included all sorts of fluids during the surgery and pre surgery blood tests etc.... We just couldn't do it, so we took our cats to my parent's vet a couple hours away and paid $115 for the spay and $85 for the neuter. Total gouging by the T.O. vets.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy update on Tess

I am so upset and terrified that Tess may not recover from this surgery. They called me to pick her up at 7:00 (her surgery was at 4) and when I got there they were saying the spay went well and she has been washed because she peed all over herself ......at this point I just wanted to see her, and I did not give a darn if she smelled nice . Well to my horror they carried her into the room without supporting her back legs. And there was her incision bleeding ;like a slow leaky faucet. I told the tech that I felt uncomfortable with the bleeding, but she reassured me that it was ok....but she would call the Vet and ask her if there was anything to worry about. The vet came in 5 minutes later to tell me that they changed their mind and would like to observe her for the night..... . I know that I worry over the smallest things but this morning when I left her I felt wrong and that this may be the last time I see her...Ok so I am overly pessimistic. Should I worry or is this kind of bleeding normal? How could they even think of releasing a cat with an open wound. They told me to watch for infection....ARE THEY KIDDING....it looked like they forgot to stitch the whole cut. Oh man I am so mad and worried and probably can't sleep until i know she's home safe and sound.....OK...please tell me why a cat would be bleeding so much after this surgery....or even sent home???? I have never had this problem with my other cats before....ok I'll stop or this ranting will and can go on, sorry
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM

im sorry you are having such a difficult time. i know that must be scary. i totally understand about you being so pessamistic...i am that way too! its normal to worry but i think tess will be ok. i think the vet would have let you konw if there was something to be worried about. there may just have been more bleeding than they expected so they wanted to watch her overnight. some animals probably just bleed more than others just like some people do. i hope everything gets better!
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:12 PM
-

Call your vet right now. There should be overnight care staff there that may be able to ease your mind as to how she is doing right now.
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never had a cat come home 3 hours after a spay. It's usually done early in the morning and I've picked the cat up after 6 that night, so I'm not suprised she looked so bad so soon after the operation.

You're not saying the incision wasn't stitched up?
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

LR, the incision was stitched but it looked like they missed a few spots. The tech would squeeze the cut and blood would just flow outfrom the top and from the bottom. She did that twice then went to see the vet.
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

StaceyB, I did call and no one answered. The only option they gave me was to leave a message. I guess I will have to wait for morning.
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:29 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

I'm in shock!!! Oh honey, I would have went somewhere else as soon as they told me the price! This clinic or whatever you want to call it makes me sick!
Quote:
I have never had a cat come home 3 hours after a spay.
I can't believe this. Most cats would still be quite groggy from the anesthetic. Where I live, cats stay the night at the vet's after a spay. And there is no extra charge for the night either!

Was it alot of blood or was it trickling? Most incisions look worse than they really are especially when you see it 3 hours after surgery! It will appear as though they missed spots when sewing up the incision. I think a little bleeding is normal, but not much!

I am so sorry you are feeling awful and worried. I'm sure your cat is strong and will pull thru just fine. If you don't trust this vet, take her to another vet just to have her incision looked at.

They will always tell you to look for any signs of infection - so don't worry!!! Also look for any redness or irritation, any bleeding(that won't stop). Don't let the kitty lick the area to much, keep kitty from jumping on to or from high places. If the kitty is not eating, seek vet care. These are all signs to watch for after any surgery.
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

cpietra, this sounds very strange... I've never seen a cat bleed after being spayed !

The incision is always super clean and there is no leakage at all. My vet keeps females overnight to make sure they stay very calm and to keep an eye on the incision. And I pay 76,50 $...

Old February 14th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

CPietra..oh no,not Tess:sad:
I can certainly understand your worry,I don't remember my sole female I had bleeding at at all.
They probably did not answer the phone because the office was closed,that does not mean there was nobody there,I hope.
Every time I leave anyone of my cats at the vet,I get a feeling of doom,worrying something will go wrong,I don't think that's abnormal:love:
The person who carried her out,should have known,working for a vet,always to support a cats hind-legs,surgery or not.
waitng for news
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Update- I called the vets office this morning and the tach said that Tess was Ok. She did not eat anything yet, but would try to get her to eat this morning. As for the bleeding, it eventually stopped and was no longer bleeding this morning. They are waiting for a vet to come in and will call me as soon as they examine her. I'll keep you posted.Thanks for your support and care.
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok,that's what I was waiting for..now I can get busy with my daily chores
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Chico2, I think you and I would hit it off You're the kind of person that would make a great friend.
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Can you spell REFUND?
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger...I don't think they will even talk refund...as far as they're concerned everything went well. I am the one that is concerned...They're appeasing me by keeping her in overnight. Heck they didn't even question the bleeding until I said it.
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

R-E-P-H-U-N-D ?

Well, I'm getting my soon-to-be 6month old golden to get neutered later this month, and it's gonna cost me $250. I drop him off in the morning on the day of, and I pick him the following morning.

Edit: I hope Tess recovers soon, and maybe you should go get your cats spayed somewhere else next time. And sorry for not reading properly =P

Last edited by HunterXHunter; February 14th, 2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

HunterXHunter...they quoted me for a dog..the actual spay is cost me 220.00
for a cat over 1 year old.
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Update. Tess will stay in for the rest of the day and may come home tonight. Her cut is still oozing and she hasn't eaten yet. However, her stitches are looking good, but ooze.
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM

I have had 3 female cats spayed and NEVER have I picked them up from the vet the same day. He always keeps them overnight for observation. However, I do agree that he incision at first does not look good at all and is kind of scary looking. But all my cats have healed very well and I've never had a problem.

btw, what do you mean by oozing?? they shouldnt ooze! it's not a yellow ooze, is it? because if so then surely it's infected. Also, I used to live in Toronto and never paid that much for spaying either. Good luck, hope your kitty's ok.
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Your sweet CPietra..
I too am concerned about oozing oozing what?
If it's puss(sp?) it's infected and the stiches have to come out again,but I am sure you know that.Poor Tess and you:sad:
I also hope they are not charging you for the extra days stay!
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Tess is coming home today...the oozing stopped. I was assured that when she said oozing she meant the cut was still bleeding. She only ate some fish when she was hand fed, but was assured that she would eat when she got home. She will need to go back in 10 days to get her stitches removed.
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,that's good to hear,Tess will be happy to be back home and I am sure she'll eat right away.
Tess,is one of those animals that kind of stick in your mind.
The sad pic of her in the cage,being slated for euthenazia,then this comes along and saves her,heartwarming stuff:love: