Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 29th, 2008, 02:14 PM

dobi underweight

My sister-in-law has acquired a second dobi...I would call it more of a rescue (even though they are expected to pay for it :sad
This poor female is about 15 lbs UNDERWEIGHT....she has not been properly exercised if at all (the women she got it off of has "health issues") She even made a comment that the dog had not eaten in 2 days so in other words she probably ran outta food and knew she was getting rid of the dog so didn't want to put out any money. She is the most gentle creature you would ever meet she seems so tiny and frail...you can tell her back end needs some major exercise as she seems to not be able to hold it completely upright and you can see her prominent bum bones.
My sis-in-law was told by a friend to feed in Mac and cheese for about 2 weeks to help put on weight . I am looking for any advice you all may have. I did notice some whitish discharge coming from her vaginal area so I am guessing she may be coming into a heat very soon as well and they have an intact male dobi. So we are all really worried about this cute little thing the last thing she would need is to get pregnant is her unstable condition.
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh ugly situation - would they consider having the male neutered? It will kill her to be impregnated.

I would have her checked for worms and parasites. I once took in a dog that was a skeleton and there was no food or supplements that would put on the weight. The vet found a parasite that was preventing her from progressing. The treatment was cheap and after 3 weeks of meds this dog started to gain weight. She was 28 lbs and now weight 78 and is doing extremely well.
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM

They are going to neuter their male..but they have to book it even sooner then they thought...I still worry he will hurt her though as it takes up to 6 months to loose the testosterone I heard and he is MASSIVE for a male dobi. My mother-in-law offered to help out while she is in heat...and we will too as Guinness is neutered..(but he even seemed to love the smell of her and chase her around for ever..is that normal? he was literally foaming at the mouth )
I do think a FULL vet check is in order to rule out any health issues but it’s a definite abuse case as far as I am concerned.
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Since he is not neutered and nor is she spayed so his behaviour is 'normal'. These two dogs absolutely need to be separated.

By the sounds of the condition of the dog - she needs to see a good vet that will run blood work, fecal analysis, and and a all round good work up on the poor girl.
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM

lol I was asking if it was normal for my neutered dog Guinness to go crazy for her he was neutered about 6 months ago
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

It is normal if she is not fixed. Just because he is sterilized does not mean that his senses have stopped. You will equally see this behaviour in cats. Male fixed, female not - male chases and humps female regardless.
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM
-

Bless your SIL for rescuing this poor girl.

I agree she first needs a complete vet checkup including bloodwork. Is she being fed a premium quality food now? If she gets a clean bill of health from the vet I would start feeding her those Satin Balls. Do a search here for recipes or else just google it.....there's lots of information.

And, as mentioned, definitely keep her away from the intact male. Good luck.
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Satin Balls:

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!

You'll probably want to cut the recipe a bit though - it's kind of huge!

When I recently got my GSD, she was super skinny and we found feeding her puppy food has helped (we're using Wellness Just for Puppy) because it has higher protein and fat than adult formulas. And resist the urge to overfeed too much....it can be hard when you're staring at a bunch of ribs poking out, but overfeeding can cause stomach distress. Not to mention you want to promote healthy weight gain - fat AND muscle. If my inlaws had their way they'd be force-feeding bacon to Kailey!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness' mom View Post
I did notice some whitish discharge coming from her vaginal area so I am guessing she may be coming into a heat very soon
No , it could be a yeast infection or much much worse : pyometra. Which is an uterus infection and when the discharge starts to leak out , it means the uterus is full of puss and this can be fatal. Sorry if I'm scaring you but it is a very serious infection. Of course , could be just a yeast infection but please tell your SIL to make a trip to the vet asap. Just in case .... would be a good thing to have her spayed at the same time
Old October 2nd, 2008, 05:54 AM

she has gone into heat I spoke with my SIL and she is sure this women know it was starting now..she should be shot for what she did to this animal
Now she really has to act fast...she put a pull-up on her and just cut out a spot for the tail...and she didn't seem to mind.
I gave her the recipe for Satin Balls I think she is goin to try it. It amazes me how an animal can be sooooo sweet after all it has been through.
She is bringing it to the vet I think today so I will update you soon
Thanks for all your input