Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 18th, 2011, 10:54 PM

sweet Meiko He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:43 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

It has been a really hard few weeks, we have lost dogs before and each and every one of them has been hard but nothing like this time. Every day i go out to do something random with the dogs and every day while we are out and about I stop to look for Meiko still he was such a huge part of our lives for so long, my man too is still really having a hard time with it all, every few days he comes home with some plant to plant on Meikos grave. So far he has white lilacs planted on him, rose bushes by his head, those orange lily like flowers a handful of wild flower mix seeds and brown eyed suzys beside him.
He talks all night about his dog and how much he misses him.
I do have to say though that I am very proud of my man, he is not computer literate at all but has recently figured out google and kijiji and has been looking for another border collie, he won't pay someone on kijiji for their dog but has found a few in rescue he is willing to pay anything for. He hasn't found one that is what he is looking for yet and he keeps saying " I will know which one is the right one that needs us"
We know we can never ever replace Meiko but for a breed such as BCs that many people do not fully understand we know one will be a perfect fit here one day.
Some people we know offered him a puppy out of their female that they just keep breeding and I was so proud when he told them " I am sure I will end up with one of your pups through a pound one day"
For the time being him and Elmo have created some sort of " no girls allowed" posse and are inseparable which is really nice to see.
It's so strange how even when you have as many animals as we do the loss of just one makes everything so different.

Last edited by erykah1310; June 1st, 2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Autocorrect at it's finest thanks iPhone
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my Hunter basically the same way. Please take comfort in the knowledge that you did everything you could for him. He will be waiting for you and your Hubby at the bridge.

Last edited by EBJR; June 1st, 2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Erykah,I've had people say,when I lost Rocky...oh well,you have 2 more
We love each and every animal,all with different quirks and habits,losing one is no less heartbreaking because we have more.
I feel for your hubs,Meiko was a beautiful dog and I am sure,loved to bits.
I hope another BC comes along,one that needs a wonderful home,which I am sure you'll give him
Old June 1st, 2011, 03:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He was such a big part of your lives it's no wonder that he's left a big emptiness

Your guy is right--when the right one comes along, there will be a wonderful home waiting for him/her and Meiko will be proud of the both of you!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Eryka I just wanted to say I am so sorry. I know too well the pain as do most members here!! We are with both you and DH....please let him know we all feel his pain! Meiko was his special boy and that will never change but in time he will begin to share that love again with another pup in need!

Next month will be 1 yr ago that I lost my special boy and to this day the pain has not eased. I mean its manageable but it will always hurt.

We move on but never forget dont we?

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Next month will be 1 yr ago that I lost my special boy and to this day the pain has not eased. I mean its manageable but it will always hurt.

We move on but never forget dont we?

Big hugs, Erykah, to you and your man. Winston's right, it's been just over a year since we lost our boy and we still talk about him and do the 'remember how he...' with tears in our eyes. Each one is special, and each one owns a little piece of our hearts forever. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:20 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I still hurt from time to time over the animals I have lost in my lifetime. Each and everyone of them tears open a little wound in my heart, Be it Petty my first ever dog, Max, Puppy,Bailey, Falco or Keira ( in no order) All except for Keira had passed on due to either health or age, it makes me happy to have shared their lives with them.
Something about Meiko that just seems to be so much harder than any of the others. And I had Petty ( a stray I found as a kid) for 16 years, she was hard to lose and her too had been "fine" one day and sick the next,and progressed very fast. ( she was also a BC mix)
I am feeling better now for today, but I'm sure tomorrow something else will remind me of him and either bring a huge smile to my face or a tear to my eye.
My man is just about due to bring something else home to plant atop of Meikos grave. I think the regular planting there makes me sadder.
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:08 PM
owned by Tucker

I know what you are going through I still go sit with my dog Travis his grave is at our cottage, my daughter made a headstone and there is a concrete dog on his grave. In the spring we have tiny daffodils on it but during the summer we just have the grass so its kept cut but behind him is a shade garden. If your interested in a rescue try the ontario border collie rescue, I got my border collie up near owen sound from a working breeder or another place is pet finder they have lots looking for homes including crosses some are pretty interesting. But you will know when the time is right, it took me six months to get another dog after Travis, some get them right away and others never do. I love border collies they are just not a regular dog, and I know when I lose Tucker heaven forbid I will be getting another I just love them.
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I know right now is not the time, my man is big on believing the "one" will find him. Well not find him but you know, we will just know which is the one.
I will teach him to use petfinder soon, he's just pretty happy to have figured out google and is having fun with this. He stumbled across BCRO the other day and I fell in love with one but he did not...
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Good luck with your search for a new dog I know the right ones seem to find us, we don't find them. Hoping you find one that is just right
Old June 5th, 2011, 05:50 PM

So sorry for your loss, sending big hugs