Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, I gas Animals for A Living! GRAPHIC

This is a true story, I am only posting this to show people how important it is to spay and neuter their pets! This story takes place in the United States. I DO NOT DO THIS AWFUL JOB, SOME GUY IN THE STATES DOES AND HE WROTE ABOUT IT.

I put dogs in the gas chamber

Yes, I Gas Dogs and Cats for a Living. I'm an Animal Control officer in a very small town in central North Carolina. I'm in my mid thirties, and have been working for the town in different positions since high school.

There is not much work here, and working for the county provides good pay and benefits for a person like me without a higher education. I'm the person you all write about how horrible I am.

I'm the one that gasses the dogs and cats and makes them suffer. I'm the one that pulls their dead corpses out smelling of Carbon Monoxide and throws them into green plastic bags. But I'm also the one that hates my job and hates what I have to do.

First off, all you people out there that judge me, don't. God is judging me, and I know I'm going to Hell. Yes, I'm going to hell. I wont lie, it's despicable, cold, cruel and I feel like a serial killer. I'm not all to blame, if the law would mandate spay and neuter, lots of these dogs and cats wouldn't be here for me to gas. I'm the devil, I know it, but I want you people to see that there is another side to me the devil Gas Chamber man.
The shelter usually gasses on Friday morning.

Friday's are the day that most people look forward to, this is the day that I hate, and wish that time will stand still on Thursday night. Thursday night, late, after nobody's around, my friend and I go through a fast food line, and buy 50 dollars worth of cheeseburgers and fries, and chicken. I'm not allowed to feed the dogs on Thursday, for I'm told that they will make a mess in the gas chamber, and why waste the food.
So, Thursday night, with the lights still closed, I go into the saddest room that anyone can every imagine, and let all the doomed dogs out out their cages.

I have never been bit, and in all my years doing this, the dogs have never fought over the food. My buddy and I, open each wrapper of cheeseburger and chicken sandwich, and feed them to the skinny, starving dogs. They swallow the food so fast, that I don't believe they even taste it. There tails are wagging, and some don't even go for the food, they roll on their backs wanting a scratch on their bellys. They start running, jumping and kissing me and my buddy. They go back to their food, and come back to us. All their eyes are on us with such trust and hope, and their tails wag so fast, that I have come out with black and blues on my thighs.. They devour the food, then it's time for them to devour some love and peace. My buddy and I sit down on the dirty, pee stained concrete floor, and we let the dogs jump on us. They lick us, they put their butts in the air to play, and they play with each other. Some lick each other, but most are glued on me and my buddy.

I look into the eyes of each dog. I give each dog a name.
They will not die without a name.
I give each dog 5 minutes of unconditional love and touch.
I talk to them, and tell them that I'm so sorry that tomorrow they will die a gruesome, long, torturous death at the hands of me in the gas chamber.
Some tilt their heads to try to understand.
I tell them, that they will be in a better place, and I beg them not to hate me.
I tell them that I know I'm going to hell, but they will all be playing with all the dogs and cats in heaven.

After about 30 minutes, I take each dog individually, into their feces filled concrete jail cell, and pet them and scratch them under their chins. Some give me their paw, and I just want to die. I just want to die. I close the jail cell on each dog, and ask them to forgive me. As my buddy and I are walking out, we watch as every dog is smiling at us and them don't even move their heads. They will sleep, with a full belly, and a false sense of security.

As we walk out of the doomed dog room, my buddy and I go to the cat room.
We take our box, and put the very friendly kittens and pregnant cats in our box.
The shelter doesn't keep tabs on the cats, like they do the dogs.
As I hand pick which cats are going to make it out, I feel like I'm playing God, deciding whose going to live and die.

We take the cats into my truck, and put them on blankets in the back.
Usually, as soon as we start to drive away, there are purring cats sitting on our necks or rubbing against us.

My buddy and I take our one way two hour trip to a county that is very wealthy and they use injection to kill animals.
We go to exclusive neighborhoods, and let one or two cats out at a time.
They don't want to run, they want to stay with us. We shoo them away, which makes me feel sad.
I tell them that these rich people will adopt them, and if worse comes to worse and they do get put down, they will be put down with a painless needle being cradled by a loving veterinarian. After the last cat is free, we drive back to our town.

It's about 5 in the morning now, about two hours until I have to gas my best friends.
I go home, take a shower, take my 4 anti-anxiety pills and drive to work.. I don't eat, I can't eat. It's now time, to put these animals in the gas chamber. I put my ear plugs in, and when I go to the collect the dogs, the dogs are so excited to see me, that they jump up to kiss me and think they are going to play.

I put them in the rolling cage and take them to the gas chamber. They know. They just know. They can smell the death.. They can smell the fear. They start whimpering, the second I put them in the box. The boss tells me to squeeze in as many as I can to save on gas. He watches. He knows I hate him, he knows I hate my job. I do as I'm told. He watches until all the dogs, and cats (thrown in together) are fighting and screaming. The sounds is very muffled to me because of my ear plugs. He walks out, I turn the gas on, and walk out.

I walk out as fast as I can. I walk into the bathroom, and I take a pin and draw blood from my hand. Why? The pain and blood takes my brain off of what I just did.
In 40 minutes, I have to go back and unload the dead animals. I pray that none survived, which happens when I overstuff the chamber. I pull them out with thick gloves, and the smell of carbon monoxide makes me sick. So does the vomit and blood, and all the bowel movements. I pull them out, put them in plastic bags.

They are in heaven now, I tell myself. I then start cleaning up the mess, the mess, that YOU PEOPLE are creating by not spay or neutering your animals. The mess that YOU PEOPLE are creating by not demanding that a vet come in and do this humanely. You ARE THE TAXPAYERS, DEMAND that this practice STOP!

So, don't call me the monster, the devil, the gasser, call the politicians, the shelter directors, and the county people the devil. Heck, call the governor, tell him to make it stop.

As usual, I will take sleeping pills tonight to drown out the screams I heard in the past, before I discovered the ear plugs. I will jump and twitch in my sleep, and I believe I'm starting to hallucinate.

This is my life. Don't judge me. Believe me, I judge myself enough.

Last edited by poodletalk; September 19th, 2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Honest Contributor

you forgot to put a tissue warning :sad: oh my god... that was so hard to read. but i forced myself to read it to the last word. and thought about the couple of streetkids i crossed yesterday, walking with two thin, tired looking females with scratched teets, carting a wagon full of sleeping mongrel puppies who will be doomed to a life on the streets, bred over and over again, filling our shelters and perpetuating the cycle. they don't ever want you to criticise their way of life, they spit on you and call you names. i try everytime but it falls on deaf ears. how do you educate those who don't want to learn? :sad: these are the people that need to read this! the world is and we need to heal it...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

:sad: Just want to go home and hug Hunter now
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Flyball Mom

OMG That poor man!!!! Where did you get that.... oh, someone needs to tell him he's not going to hell, and to stop thinking that way, at least he's kind to them, giving them love the night before. Not some cold hearted *******! What a horrid job!

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:37 PM
-

I saw this thread at noon but didn't want to read it at work,wanted to wait until I got home.I was right to do so.:sad:
Old September 19th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

awfull. i think all the time about Buster sitting on the cold concrete at the SPCA, and thank God someone picked him up (even if they did abandon him after), and took him off death row.

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old September 19th, 2006, 07:01 PM
-

I read this post a little earlier and had so many tears that I couldn't reply at the time. I have now copied it to email to everyone I know. I can only hope it gets the message across to more than one person eventually.
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:57 AM

OMG, I have just read above and now I can't stop crying, Im glad here inthe Uk we don't use such barbaric methods. the poor beautiful animals.

That poor man, you won't go to hell, god will not judge you, you are putting yourself through a living hell very week every day.

Ive copied it and sent it to everyone I know.

I not sure if it is UK think, but I don't know anyone who has not had there cats and dogs spayed, it is part of the normal process and goes with the injections.
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:16 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

o man ... reality suks big time. Thanks for posting it though. I just sent it to someone I know who is definately set on breeding their beautiful pitbull just once
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM

Yeah, a nice bit of fiction

But it somehow doesn't ring true.
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies Man
What part?

There are still several shelters that gas animals in that way.

Even if the person who wrote it doesn't really work in a shelter (which can't be determined), it doesn't change the fact that this really happens.
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:50 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

My city pounds uses this method ... way cheaper then bringing them to a vet and humanly euthanizing them :sad: horrible! I would like to think that there is someone out there that does care if that's their job. Gawwd knows how one feels though having to do this for a living - I'd starve
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Really??? do some research, I have, it was a commonly used method in Ohio pounds
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Doesn't carbon monoxide NOT have any odor? There's a joke ad out there somewhere that goes "So if you see or smell a colorless, odorless gas, it's probably carbon monoxide."

I think this really happens but the descriptions are stretched. I've never seen a room full of dogs not fight over food, especially when you go through it every week.

Last edited by Prin; September 20th, 2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Honest Contributor

nevertheless, it was a heart-wrenching recount and a wake-up call to everyone who reads it... i passed it along to everyone i know.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 21st, 2006, 01:27 AM

The "smell of carbon monoxide gas" was a tip off. Unless they're generating their own, CO gas is colorless and odorless. Could be they hook up the killing chamber to the pound's Dodge pickup exhaust, but I doubt it.

CO is euthanasia, btw. Supposed to be painless, the animals just quietly go to sleep. And, imho, most anything they do at a shelter is going to terrorize an animal.

It's also a bit too "heart wrenching". Pretty well written for someone with a minimal education.

And if this person really hates his/her job so much, there ARE other jobs around--I'm thinking a dog pound tech doesn't pay that much--and with tips, starbucks pays about $10 with benefits. Same with grocery stores, Costco, even MacDonalds. The weekly $50 buy at the local fast food didn't ring true either.

Sorry, I know it makes me seem the cynic, but this just seemed a phony as a $3 bill.

BTW, kill shelters are not something anyone likes--sorta goes without saying. Not even the folks that run the shelters. But until every pet finds a home, it's something we have to live with.
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:35 AM
Learning fast

Pure CO2 gives off a metalic taste in your mouth and nostrils, you feel it not smell it, it's horrid. if there is co2 in small preportions 20% or so you will not notice it except for a headache due to molicule size. In the pure form it will linger and be tasted in the air. True or not, heart wrenching and making everyone realize they did the right thing by going to shelter, however they are euthanised. Ok I'm back to work and going to try that little bit harder to keep my patients alive (if thats possible).
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:03 AM

OMG, I couldn't stop crying after I read this, and I sent this to my friend who refuses to have her cat Spayed. Maybe this will change her mind.

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God." ~Unknown
Old September 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM

Yes this made me cry too - if it is fiction it is near to the truth.
I volunteer for the only animal shelter in my country. Because of the huge problem of pet overpopulation this shelter is a 'kill' shelter. I have sat with managers that have cried and cried and cried when they've had to send some for euth (not gas, injection) i have said 'Goodbye' to numerous dogs on more occassions than i would ever want to - healthy, loving, adorable dogs - i carry their photos with me in my wallet, i wont forget them. They could've been someones pet, they could have all the love an animal lover could give them, the potential was there, just the homes werent. The one thing about dogs, they live for the moment they enjoy every last second of their too young lives - we can only bear it because they fall asleep peacefully - they have no hunger, no pain from illness or injury or poison which is what they'd die of if the shelter didn't exist.
If only people would spay and neuter to prevent these deaths and prevent the trauma of those people left to deal with it.